Am I mad taking a retro (1999) hard tail to Bedgebury?

Seen a few videos, it doesn't look too demanding, and it's inspired me to have ago. My bike is old though.

It's a bit of pain to get to, but afaik there is nothing similar nearer. There is a place nearby with a basic MTB trail, but it's only short and there is only the one. I'll probably go there first, because I can ride there.

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Not mad, just make sure its in decent working order.
    I took my old rigid P7 down Philips park trails and apart from it being frightening, (vee brakes are awful in the wet) and hard on my body it was great fun.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    It won't be yet; probably not until the weather starts warming up in the spring. I've got my eye on a local (shorter, more basic) trail atm.

I also keep my bikes in decent working order. I put brand new tyres on it a few months ago, and I've done a few rides on it this year, so know it's in good shape.
  • bungle73
    edited October 2020
    I found a YT video where someone successfully took a retro (older than mine) bike down a similar sort of trail, and that’s given me more confidence to give it a try.
  • yearofthegoat
    yearofthegoat Posts: 71
    edited October 2020
    Not mad in the least. Of course make sure it's in good working order first. The bike was presumably made for off-road and hills. They haven't really changed much! I recently took my '94 Tequesta round some blues and one red trail and, while I didn't go crazy fast (mainly due to age - mine not the bike's), it was fine and loads of fun. Did gnarlier stuff back in my 20s on that bike.
  • bungle73

The bike was presumably made for off-road and hills.

Definitely. It's an Orange Clockwork.

I've used it on a few rides this year, I keep it in good order, and I put a brand new pair of tyres on it a few months ago.

I've never actually ridden any MTB specific trails before. All of my previous off-road riding has been on along bridleways and byways.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474
    bungle73 said:

Seen a few videos, it doesn't look too demanding, and it's inspired me to have ago. My bike is old though.

It's a bit of pain to get to, but afaik there is nothing similar nearer. There is a place nearby with a basic MTB trail, but it's only short and there is only the one. I'll probably go there first, because I can ride there.

It's pretty XC type stuff and not very demanding so go for it. There are a few optional rock features that you can ride around if you want.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]