Zone 6: the thread that got deleted

Comments

• When are you taking the hacksaw to them?

I still want to use them... :smiley:
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin said:

Shouldn’t need that left shifter either

That's a bit of a con... most brake only levers weigh the same as a shifter/brake integrated lever
  • More serious point... with modern mitts and gloves with gel pads and grippy bits, do we still need bar tape?
  • Maybe I'm lucky but I haven't worn mitts in years and have never needed cushioning bartape for any riding I've done in the UK.

The last time I wore mitts was RL100 in 2014 in case of an off to stop skin shred
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • How much was down to the lack of bartape ;)?
  • How much was down to the lack of bartape ;)?

the equivalent of 80 grams... 0.5 Watt, more or less
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

I managed to get a pair of Kinlin XR 200 rims (380 grams) from Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic and I've knocked them on Bitex rear/Novatec front hubs with laser spokes and gold alloy nipples for a bit of bling. Now. I've got a pair of 1300 grams wheels for the National... :)

That pretty heavy for climbing wheels.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • joe2019
    edited October 2020

joe2019 said:

I managed to get a pair of Kinlin XR 200 rims (380 grams) from Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic and I've knocked them on Bitex rear/Novatec front hubs with laser spokes and gold alloy nipples for a bit of bling. Now. I've got a pair of 1300 grams wheels for the National... :)

That pretty heavy for climbing wheels.
    They are light for clinchers.

I know, but you said on this thread that clinchers were as light, if not lighter, than tubulars, clearly they're not.

Good luck on Sunday!

• ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • joe2019
    Fair enough.

Personally I enjoy the 'hassle' of tubulars, but I can see why others don't.

Have a good one... after many years of 'going to do it' I'm looking to enter my first national next year at 56.
  • Took the wheels for a spin this morning, I gave them a proper workout and they seem pretty solid... didn't notice any flex at all going uphill at 450 Watt
  • last supper before the nationals

• Very best of luck tomorrow.

Extra long bathroom break before you head off!
  • Good luck today, that course has very similar elevation data to the first ~0.5 miles of Draycott's New Rd, very easy to set off too hard and struggle to close it out with strong power.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Good luck today - your preparation seems to have been pretty good so fingers crossed for the pay off!
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Nice one. Well done Ugo!
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • Congratulations Ugo. What an experience.

Next year training starts now, right?
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Would you try and do that by more climbing or interval training? I started by doing lots and lots of climbing and losing loads of weight which means I’m 4.2 W/kg for an entire ride 2,3 even 4 hours but that’s only because of weight I seriously lack real speed, I’m going to switch to intervals for a few months and eat more, I’d like to give the 2021 hill climbing a bash.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Great thread Ugo and thanks for sharing.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • Not posted on here for some time!

Good thread Ugo, enjoyed reading it and congrats on your efforts! 6 W/kg could well be feasible based on where you are this year. I've been doing some multi day events last couple of years so distance and intensity has been ramped up which has helped push my power numbers up quite a bit (roughly 15-20% from 1min to 60min). I think doing intervals in isolation helps but only so far, doing intervals of various lengths built into longer rides appears to offer increased power, for me at least.

Did a bit of a tester around 4 weeks back with some hard efforts on a 2 hr ride and managed 3 intervals of 3min+ at 6.3 W/kg and an 8min effort of 5.1 w/kg with a few other efforts thrown in. That's not really off the back of structured interval training, just lots of consistent riding at fairly 'grippy' intensity!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Great read, good effort Ugo!
  • I really lucked out with the lockdown (bit of a mouthful)... a few days earlier and the National wouldn't have happened... :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted