Suggestions for good all round bike

Hi

I have been thinking of taking up my work’s ‘cycle scheme’ offer to upgrade my bike. Currently on a Specialized TriCross Sport.

I mainly commute, but also take the bike on longer tours with the family, and off road too. The TriCross has 27 gears (probably more than I need) - but I often cycle in quite hilly areas when not commuting, so needs to have a decent lower end range :).

Bike rack is a must, as are disc brakes. Even though the TriCross has dropped handle bars, I find I use the ‘suicide brakes’ mostly - so I suspect hybrid might be the best bet.

Budget is around £1,000 - focused mainly on value for money, as well as most effective bike.

Anyone got any good suggestions? Have been reading about the Ribble CGR AL Shimano 105 - which sounds good, but haven’t heard of the brand. Boardman hybrid bikes may also be good (they seem to consistently offer good value for what you pay) - but can’t seem to find much about them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Concentrate your efforts on buying the right bike, rather than the accessories you think you need too. These can be added later and cost very little in comparison to buying the bike itself, so don't discount a bike if it doesn't have a rack already. As long as it has eyelets to fit a rack it should be considered, as a rack is only £50 or so to buy afterwards.
    At a £1000 price point many bikes will come with mechanical disc brakes rather than hydraulic brakes. Hydraulic brakes are definitely better than mechanical, but something else on the bike will have been reduced in function if hydraulics are specced.
    If value is your key requirement to fit under the £1000 Cycle to Work scheme threshold then Boardman are a good brand, or look at in-house brands such as Pinnacle from Evans Cycles, Vitus from Wiggle and if being a bit leftfield is your thing then the Bootzipper from Planet X looks mighty fine.
  • Vitus is the value king IMO
  • Thanks for comments all. Will look into the seat bags - haven’t seen those before (my 20 year old Ottliebs are still going strong!).

What typically gets compromised with hydraulic brakes? I don’t have strict £1,000 limit, so can go a bit over/under.

No one has mentioned brands like Trek; Specialized etc. Are they just more expensive for the same kit?

Thanks
  • For me at least, having 650b wheels with the associated huge 47c tyres on my commuter/family ride/all rounder bike* has been a revelation. They're just so comfortable.

*Vitus Substance SRS-2
  • As said the Ribble CG-R, or the Planet X London Road.
    I've had a London Road for a few years now, and it's my Swiss Army Knife bike. I use it for commuting, winter bike, touring, and (on one occasion) cyclocross racing!
    Like the Ribble it's available in drop and flat bar form.