Donald Trump

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

More embarrassing should be that he says the virus was manufactured in China and released.

Except that he didn't say that. What China did was to brutally shut down their own country without shutting down international travel.

Is that Trump?
    No, it's Giuliani. Have you not been paying attention?
    Did I get in the Giuliani thread by mistake?
    You’ve arrived on a cycling forum by mistake
    Not really. See, I bought this old Brompton and I am in the process of stripping it down to fit in the back of my airplane. It is an early 2000s H5R and I plan to get rid of the rack and fenders, put S bars on it and update it some with a cheap China hollow crank. I've been a bike guy off and on for over 50 years, started out on a Raleigh Competition in the '70 then got interested in mountain bikes and bought one of the first, a Ritchey Commando, came as a box of parts, nothing built but the wheels . . .

I always wondered about the foreign interest in Trump. Most Americans couldn't tell you who the British PM is.
    I think there was a poll of US public claiming Scottish heritage a few years ago that found about 20% could actually find Scotland on a map. I've never understood why Americans (a term other Americans across the rest of those two continents find offensive by the way) wear ignorance as a badge of honour.
    Most Europeans wouldn't be able to find a US state of similar population on a map either.
    I think the key bit there is "of Scottish heritage"
    True. I missed that bit which does change things a bit. In general though I find the argument " Americans are so stupid " to be, well, stupid
    Stupid isn't the same as ignorant.

I've spent a lot of time in the US over the years and it is a complex, fascinating and often disturbing society. But one thing it is not is a society that looks outwardly.

So the comment about not knowing (or caring?) who the prime minister of the UK is misses the point that not only does the UK media fixate on US politics but also on other politics that matters to it.

So the attitude seems to be that nowhere else matters to Americans. Not sure that is a good thing in the long run, even for Americans.
    Happy to make the same statement about ignorance - the idea that Americans are ignorant is an ignorant opinion.

Yes, the UK media has a bizare obsession with the US, but that simply means it is ignoring other subjects.

Culturally introspective, then. You know what I am driving at. The US is a nation that flies its own flag in its own country and sings its own national anthem to itself at sporting events that only it plays, and pats itself on the back rather a lot.

All nations are rather self interested. It is just a bit more pronounced in the US in my experience.
    I think you underestimate the size of USA, your comparison should be with Europe. How many Brits could identify on a map every country in Europe? Now let’s name the leaders of nearby countries like Turkey and Egypt or go for some biggies far away like Japan.

Now try asking a Brit when the civil war was (British or American) to within 50 years, or ask them the date of Pearl Harbour, or to give a brief explanation of the significance of the Battle of Midway.

Maybe rather than ignorance they just learn different stuff.

Try telling a Frenchman that Brits are so insular that they will not have heard of Verdun and he won’t believe you.
    Claims to be the most costly battle ever but I thought Stalingrad was 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

More embarrassing should be that he says the virus was manufactured in China and released.

Except that he didn't say that. What China did was to brutally shut down their own country without shutting down international travel.

Is that Trump?
    Not really. See, I bought this old Brompton and I am in the process of stripping it down to fit in the back of my airplane. It is an early 2000s H5R and I plan to get rid of the rack and fenders, put S bars on it and update it some with a cheap China hollow crank. I've been a bike guy off and on for over 50 years, started out on a Raleigh Competition in the '70 then got interested in mountain bikes and bought one of the first, a Ritchey Commando, came as a box of parts, nothing built but the wheels . . .

I always wondered about the foreign interest in Trump. Most Americans couldn't tell you who the British PM is.
    I think there was a poll of US public claiming Scottish heritage a few years ago that found about 20% could actually find Scotland on a map. I've never understood why Americans (a term other Americans across the rest of those two continents find offensive by the way) wear ignorance as a badge of honour.
    Most Europeans wouldn't be able to find a US state of similar population on a map either.
    True. I missed that bit which does change things a bit. In general though I find the argument " Americans are so stupid " to be, well, stupid

I've spent a lot of time in the US over the years and it is a complex, fascinating and often disturbing society. But one thing it is not is a society that looks outwardly.

So the comment about not knowing (or caring?) who the prime minister of the UK is misses the point that not only does the UK media fixate on US politics but also on other politics that matters to it.

So the attitude seems to be that nowhere else matters to Americans. Not sure that is a good thing in the long run, even for Americans.
    Happy to make the same statement about ignorance - the idea that Americans are ignorant is an ignorant opinion.

Yes, the UK media has a bizare obsession with the US, but that simply means it is ignoring other subjects.

Culturally introspective, then. You know what I am driving at. The US is a nation that flies its own flag in its own country and sings its own national anthem to itself at sporting events that only it plays, and pats itself on the back rather a lot.

All nations are rather self interested. It is just a bit more pronounced in the US in my experience.
    I think you underestimate the size of USA, your comparison should be with Europe. How many Brits could identify on a map every country in Europe? Now let’s name the leaders of nearby countries like Turkey and Egypt or go for some biggies far away like Japan.

Now try asking a Brit when the civil war was (British or American) to within 50 years, or ask them the date of Pearl Harbour, or to give a brief explanation of the significance of the Battle of Midway.

Try telling a Frenchman that Brits are so insular that they will not have heard of Verdun and he won’t believe you.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I appreciate the size of the US, thanks. The analogy of the 50 states to Europe is completely spurious. The US is far, far more culturally unified than the EU.

A better analogy would be to ask someone from the US if they know who the PM of Canada is. Probably a similar number to those who know ours.
  • swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I appreciate the size of the US, thanks. The analogy of the 50 states to Europe is completely spurious. The US is far, far more culturally unified than the EU.

A better analogy would be to ask someone from the US if they know who the PM of Canada is. Probably a similar number to those who know ours.
    You will have to explain the significance of being culturally unified

Do you think a higher % of Brits can name the leader of Belgium?
  • First.Aspect

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

You will have to explain the significance of being culturally unified

Do you think a higher % of Brits can name the leader of Belgium?
    whoosh
  • swjohnsey
    swjohnsey Posts: 263
    Belgium has a leader? Only 8 days to go and this circus is over!
  • swjohnsey said:

I admire your optimism.

There's 8 days until the voting is over. Then there's the counting, and the lame duck administration abuses (possibly). Who gets pardoned?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570

swjohnsey said:

I admire your optimism.

There's 8 days until the voting is over. Then there's the counting, and the lame duck administration abuses (possibly). Who gets pardoned?
    If Trump loses, does the Republican party have much power to rein him in? I would have thought at that point, it would be more likely to happen if it is possible.
  • swjohnsey said:

I admire your optimism.

If Trump loses, does the Republican party have much power to rein him in? I would have thought at that point, it would be more likely to happen if it is possible.
    Absolutely - and if they lose the senate as well, there's malarkey afoot.
  • swjohnsey

swjohnsey said:

I admire your optimism.

Nothing will happen. If Trump loses there will be an orderly transfer of power just like there has always been. When Obama left office he emptied out the prisons. If Trump win, however . . .
  • rick_chasey

• swjohnsey
    What were the odds on Trump in 2016?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    swjohnsey said:

Did you get all the brompton info you needed?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    swjohnsey said:

They had him at 1/3 to win presidency on the day
  • swjohnsey
    pangolin said:

swjohnsey said:

Didn't find hardly nuthin'. I did find a cute little bike computer that is GPS based for only $25 MEILAN M3 MINI Bicycle Computer. Anyone ever try one? Folks were using them on model cars and airplanes. The Brompton build is gonna be spartan purpose built to fit in the back of my airplane, no fenders, lights, reflectors, titanium seatpost, cheap hollow Chinese crank, cheap Chinese alloy headset, etc.. The airplane is a Van's RV-4. It cruises at 200 mph burning around 8 gal/hr. Any of the guys over there fly?
  • swjohnsey said:

pangolin said:

swjohnsey said:

Didn't find hardly nuthin'. I did find a cute little bike computer that is GPS based for only $25 MEILAN M3 MINI Bicycle Computer. Anyone ever try one? Folks were using them on model cars and airplanes. The Brompton build is gonna be spartan purpose built to fit in the back of my airplane, no fenders, lights, reflectors, titanium seatpost, cheap hollow Chinese crank, cheap Chinese alloy headset, etc.. The airplane is a Van's RV-4. It cruises at 200 mph burning around 8 gal/hr. Any of the guys over there fly?
    What is this cheap hollow Chinese crank you speak of? Are you sure have an interest in bicycling?
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited October 2020
    swjohnsey said:

pangolin said:

swjohnsey said:

Don't think anyone flies here, but many have their heads so far up their backsides that they believe they are looking down on people...

You are already starting to get the snide, dismissive comments from said group of people because you are someone else who does not align with their views.

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

swjohnsey said:

pangolin said:

swjohnsey said:

What is this cheap hollow Chinese crank you speak of? Are you sure have an interest in bicycling?
    I'm beginning to suspect it's something like a vtech sockpuppet, except that I'm not sure he had the skill to produce such a convincing caricature Merkan
  • swjohnsey

swjohnsey said:

pangolin said:

swjohnsey said:

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LITEPRO-HOLLOW-MTB-ROAD-BIKE-BICYCLE-CRANKSET-170-BCD-130MM-BB-BOTTOM-BRACKET/193669409161?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=493879660440&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

. . . and this chainring https://www.ebay.com/itm/Litepro-Folding-Bike-Chainring-BCD130mm-5-Bolts-Narrow-Wide-Chainweel-46-58T/203045058712?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=503260121627&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Don't think anyone flies here, but many have their heads so far up their backsides that they believe they are looking down on people...

You are already starting to get the snide, dismissive comments from said group of people because you are someone else who don't not align with their views.

You have an enormous chip on your shoulder.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

• Don't think anyone flies here, but many have their heads so far up their backsides that they believe they are looking down on people...

How does that work?

• First.Aspect

How does that work?

Special relativity. Oh, no that's wormholes isn't it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ben6899 said:

You are already starting to get the snide, dismissive comments from said group of people because you are someone else who don't not align with their views.

No you are wrong Ben he’s the most balanced individual you will come across. He’s got a chip on both shoulders.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    My impression is that with Trump the Republican Party are ok with being 'one and done'

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Ben6899 said:

If that's the case then you could say he's not that different from most lefties :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • My impression is that with Trump the Republican Party are ok with being 'one and done'

I think that would be true, but they have taken things a bit too far.

When you take the piss when you're in power, the other side doesn't feel any compulsion to play by the old rules that aren't rules and be made to look like mugs.

I'd expect more judges. The only way to stop that is to win the senate or the presidency.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

pangolin said:

swjohnsey said:

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LITEPRO-HOLLOW-MTB-ROAD-BIKE-BICYCLE-CRANKSET-170-BCD-130MM-BB-BOTTOM-BRACKET/193669409161?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=493879660440&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

. . . and this chainring https://www.ebay.com/itm/Litepro-Folding-Bike-Chainring-BCD130mm-5-Bolts-Narrow-Wide-Chainweel-46-58T/203045058712?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=503260121627&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Could probably pick up a set or Shimano Sora or SRAM S800's for around that, be a more known brand, going used could be even less.

Re Trump, the swearing in of the new Supreme Court member throws a very conservative heavy spin on the future rulings possibly for quite a long time to come as well. That is unless Biden does something like house filling.

There are a few possibilities re a trump defeat. A landslide he wont be able to fight so he could in theory resign handing power to Pence who could in turn pardon trump. Seems unlikely but we know now unlikely happens within his tenure.
    A marginal win is likely to be highly problematic and contested, with Republicans claiming rigging and possibly calling ballots early in states they at the time are ahead on claiming any further ballot counting is not required.

Obviously a win for Trump would through a whole "brave" new frontier as he would see it as confirmation of his dominance. I wouldn't like to be on how bizarre another four (or more if he got his way) years would be. Or even the Trump Dynasty theory that has been floated around in the past.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,908

My impression is that with Trump the Republican Party are ok with being 'one and done'

When you take the piss when you're in power, the other side doesn't feel any compulsion to play by the old rules that aren't rules and be made to look like mugs.

I'd expect more judges. The only way to stop that is to win the senate or the presidency.
    It'll be interesting to see if the Republicans totally disown Trump if Biden wins.

Trump has found a winning formula at a time when (I had heard) population demographics suggest that the Republicans should find it ever more difficult to win elections. Ultimately one reading might be that Trump has been unlucky with Covid and that ultimately he's a good model for a Republican leader.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Jezyboy said:

It'll be interesting to see if the Republicans totally disown Trump if Biden wins.

Trump has found a winning formula at a time when (I had heard) population demographics suggest that the Republicans should find it ever more difficult to win elections. Ultimately one reading might be that Trump has been unlucky with Covid and that ultimately he's a good model for a Republican leader.

Although there is only one Donald Trump. Thank fook.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Jezyboy said:

Although there is only one Donald Trump. Thank fook.

• swjohnsey
    Polls get more accurate as the election nears because reputations are on the line. States that were listed as toss ups are now likely Trump, Texas being one, Florida another.

U.S. presidents are running for re-election during their first term. If you think Trump was a wild man during his first term, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Folks vote their pocket book. The only folks who stand to benefit for a Biden presidency are welfare slugs.