saturday is drifting away

'ning

cloudy but dry

ride and cafes, be lazy in at least three distinct ways
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, much colder here, club run at 8:30, Will probably watch the giro later, that’s if nothing else crops up.
    Have a good weekend
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Ning
    Wet here. Might try and go for a stroll somewhere even if it means getting soaked, or tank up on painkillers and try some zwift.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Ayup!
    Gone from dry, to damp, to definitely wet as I've travelled west from Derby to Liverpool. Day of playing removals man as we clear out the rest of the equipment from the depot I'd rented out here. Hopefully home early enough for some pub based shenanigans, if not I've a feeling I'll get mullered on the sofa on either whisky, gin or brandy. Probably the most positive thing I'll have done all week :lol:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    very gloomy out, bit windy too, time for the cafe stroll
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    The wind blew most of the last leaves away overnight. Boo.

There's a petition to stop the clocks going back tonight. Bit late really.

Today will be mowstly chores, some running around, stock up for the log burner and feet up for 3 trips up Sestriere on the couch, that'll be exhausting.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start has been enjoyed. Female child has gone to work, unfortunately not gainfully employed. But volunteering in a charity shop gets her out the house and gives her something to do. Might try to ride a bicycle today, see how far I can get.
    pinno said:

If they put their clocks back they will have an extra hour of petitioning. But then nobody wants an extra hour of 2020
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Yeah, screw GMT let's go CET. Will of the people innit.

Already got the Giro on, 108 to go. Gonna be a lazy day methinks. Rain coming in later, but forecast dry tomorrow morning in time for an h-1 get up and out...
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Sungod. Quarantine restrictions lifted on people returning from las canarias...get those hols booked.
  • pinno
    hopkinb said:

Sungod. Quarantine restrictions lifted on people returning from las canarias....

For now.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Started the day with a couple of hours on a rake. Then another couple of hours on the mower. By the time I got to go bike riding it was cold, windy and showery. Yippee.

Had an extra glass of Painkiller wine at dinner.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

Had an extra glass of Painkiller wine at dinner.

Hmm, I haven't tried that one yet.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    pinno said:

The wind blew most of the last leaves away overnight. Boo.

Today will be mowstly chores, some running around, stock up for the log burner and feet up for 3 trips up Sestriere on the couch, that'll be exhausting.

I'd rather get an extra hour of daylight in the afternoon than the morning tbh. Although the extra hour in bed is welcome :smile:

Busy day walking dogs and doing jobs. Will head home soon and call Stropteen to see how she's getting on up at the Scouse COVID academy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Run, wood collection and pubs visiting with a pal and now into town to eat a walrus
  • orraloon
    Thoroughly enjoyed today's Giro stage. Mark it. Made my first ever risotto dish from scratch, luvverly. Got 50km of Vuelta stage to catch up on. Then Must Not Stay Up Late as weather forecast good for tomorrow morning for a ride of the fallen leaves.
  • Cargobike
    Just dropped the OH at work, another night-shift.
    She's just realised that the clocks go back and is trying to work out how to bill the NHS for her extra hour of work :lol:
    Me, couldn't care less, it'll give me an extra hour of drinking time/sleep before she returns.
  • Cargobike said:

Just dropped the OH at work, another night-shift.
    She's just realised that the clocks go back and is trying to work out how to bill the NHS for her extra hour of work :lol:
    Me, couldn't care less, it'll give me an extra hour of drinking time/sleep before she returns.

Bill it as normal with a note “+1 hour daylight saving due to clocks going back 1 hour”
    Everybody on shift at 2am on this date will automatically get this extra hour I’d imagine
    Pity the pubs shut at ten though
  • Cargobike
    You wouldn't catch me going in a pub around here, far too many people don't care about C-19. Then again I've never been a drink at home person either. Therefore I haven't touched a drop tonight anyway.
    Guess I'll just go out and ride my bike in the extra hour of daybreak instead while the OH sleeps like a log.
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

...now into town to eat a walrus

They're a bit too fatty for me.

• Stevo_666
    Cargobike said:

You wouldn't catch me going in a pub around here, far too many people don't care about C-19. Then again I've never been a drink at home person either. Therefore I haven't touched a drop tonight anyway.
    Guess I'll just go out and ride my bike in the extra hour of daybreak instead while the OH sleeps like a log.

Thought you said upthread you were going to get mullered on the sofa? And didn't you say you were in the pub a few days ago when you bumped into your OH's stalker?

How things change...or have I been drinking too much? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Cargobike
    Good shout :lol:

I was hoping to be mullered tonight, it was certainly the plan, but as is often the case plans can change. As for meeting the OH's stalker that was in the rarified pubs where she lives, out in the middle of nowhere, whereas I'm overnighting at my place which is a bit closer to civilisation, but also closer to the C-19 d*ckheads. Sheffield which is going tier 3 imminently isn't much more than a stone's throw away and Chesterfield which is tier 2 is just over the hill.

Have a drink for me Stevo!
  • oxoman said:

Sorry to upset you gents, I've not come across a company yet that pays you for the extra he when clocks go back. The usual response is you gain an hr when they go forward, regardless of whether you work that day or not. I tend to book holidays on clocks going back to save the hassle. Even the unions don't or won't get involved with this issue.

Really? I’m amazed.
    I’ll have to have a word with a friend who runs his company and employs others, though they work Monday to Friday unless they get a call out. But I’ll ask. I’ve always been salaried of late so the problem doesn’t arise. If I'd put a nine hour night shift in and only got paid for eight I’d be p!ssed off, that’s for sure. Equally if you’d just started with a firm in March I can’t see the company paying you for an hours work you never actually did, when the clocks go forward
  • Cargobike
    The OH has had it confirmed that she will be paid the extra hour by the NHS, a £156 difference, not to be sniffed at.
    I wonder if she'll let me spend that £156 on shiny new bike parts :lol:
  • pinno
    Cargobike said:

I wonder if she'll let me spend that £156 on cheap bike parts :lol:

FTFY

• Stevo_666
    Cargobike said:

The OH has had it confirmed that she will be paid the extra hour by the NHS, a £156 difference, not to be sniffed at.

She sounds quite careful with her money for a multimillionaire heiress ;)
  • orraloon
    Look after the hundreds and the millions look after themselves, or something.

I may have misplaced a decimal point there...
  • Cargobike
    Stevo_666 said:

Living with me must be rubbing off on her ;)

She grafts for it, that's for sure.

She's very savvy with money tbh, probably less impulsive than I am, but spends far, far more than me when she decides to splurge.

As a northern bloke I find it mind boggling how much the family spend on fripperies whenever we go "dahn sarf", but it seems that everyone is living that way down there, certainly in their neck of the woods.

I sound like I'm complaining, I'm not I can assure you, but it is another world. Personally, money doesn't bother me too much, it's a reward for doing something well, but it doesn't neccessarily make you happy, it just gives you more options.

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Stevo_666 said:

Cargobike said:

I know you're a man with an eye for detail Stevo. Are you implying there might be some inconsistencies in the narrative here?
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Cargobike said:

I know you're a man with an eye for detail Stevo. Are you implying there might be some inconsistencies in the narrative here?
    Now would I do something like that Mr. H? o:) But I will be telling my medic mates to get their arises to Derby ;)

https://id-medical.com/blog/how-much-does-a-locum-doctor-get-paid/
  • Cargobike
    Hmmm......

Nobody likes being called a liar, especially myself or the OH.

The article you based your assumptions on offers only a general guideline, it says so itself, just above the third sub-heading, therefore not taking into account the pay hikes post pandemic, the article being written back in May 2019, pre-pandemic. I'd suggest if you want to try and pick holes you find some more relevant information to base your prognosis on as 18 months ago is so far out of date to be laughable in the current climate.

She takes the shifts that nobody else wants, quite often at extremely short notice which puts a premium on her rate, doubles it iirc, on weekend nights.

For every minute of time spent in paedeatrics she receives an additional £0.66 as they are so short staffed that she has to combine being the lead doctor throughout the night in there as well.

As it is she will be working more traditional hours over Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week 2pm - 12pm at a significantly reduced rate to the first theoretical rate posted, a figure arrived at if she was working consistently in paedeatrics for the full hour which is nigh on impossible as the work flow is predominantly through A&E.

So, over 5 shifts that nobody else is willing to work, roughly 60 hours, as C-19 infection levels are going through the roof in the East Midlands, Nottingham which is just next door to Derby is going tier 3 on Thursday and Derby is likely to go tier 2, then tier 3 in the very near future, somebody has to cover the breach, which at this time is my OH or one other locum doctor with the relevant skill sets, so that they can to an extent pick and choose shifts at their preferred availability and rates.

Neither I, nor the OH make the rules, but they are there to be played to her advantage. Don't point the finger at us, but the NHS would be f*cked without those who are willing to sacrifice their time to ensure it works to everyones advantage.

The bigger problem which I have alluded to further up the thread is that PPE is still in short supply and with more medical staff being tested, far more are self isolating for periods of time to the detriment of the NHS and the communities served at a local level. Therefore it is down to locums to keep the wheels turning wherever possible.

Would you give up your Saturday and Sunday nights for a lesser rate, if a higher rate could be garnered? Without proper PPE? 60 hours a week in a highly pressured environment? Where colleagues have already died from C-19 earlier in the year having become infected doing their job to the best of their abilities?

No, I doubt you would when it's far easier to snipe and pick holes.

Classy, eh?

• Stevo_666
    You're up early CB. Calm down...I only pointed out the normal NHS locum rates so good on her if she can get 50% more than a consultant working the night shift...

We've had a few characters come on here who have casually dropped stuff into the conversation about what they earn, their business empire, properties and cars they're buying etc etc - go search on Vtech and robert88. Turned out in their case they were bullsh1tting. So don't be surprised by a spot of healthy scepticism.