Giro 2020 - Stage 17: Bassano del Grappa – Madonna di Campiglio 203 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited October 2020 in Pro race
Stage 17: Bassano del Grappa – Madonna di Campiglio 203 km
Wednesday, October 21st, 9:20 BST.

The 17th stage on the Giro leads from Bassano del Grappa to a summit finish in Madonna di Campiglio. It is the first of three - 5 star stages, rated by the organisers.
The first half of it is extremely hard, while the second is much easier although the total altitude gain is still impressive. Bassano del Grappa hosted the start of a mountain time trial to Cima Grappa back in 2014. Nairo Quintana took the spoils ahead of Fabio Aru with Rigoberto Uran more than 1 minute in arrears.

The 17th stage at the Giro is dominated by three huge ascents and a shorter one. The shortest is more than 10 kilometres, which goes to show that we have reached the point in the race where there are no more second chances for GC hopefuls..

Starting from Bassano the peloton will head into the mountains fairly quickly, as the first categorized climb starts after 40 km of relatively flat roads. The battle to get into the break will have been ferocious to this point, but perhaps yet to be settled.
The first obstacle is the massive Forcella Valbona (GPM1, 21.9 km at 6.6%) which has never been climbed in the Giro from this side. It is a very long and steady climb.

At the bottom of the descent there are only 10 km of flat before reaching the town of Aldeno and starting to climb again. This time is the mythical Monte Bondone (GPM1, 20.2 km at 6.8%), a classic Giro climb, but not seen in the event since 2006. This side is different than the usual one, too and is more irregular in nature. It was used in the stage to Andalo 1973, when Merckx won.

When the riders come down from the Bondone there are still 60 kilometres to go. The breakaway’s lead will be solid indicator of their chances to survive all they way to the line. The last part of the race is less hard. The Passo Durone is a 10.4 kilometres climb at 6% and this being the Giro, only merits a third category.

The descent leads onto a 20 kilometres long false flat before the final haul up to Madonna di Campiglio kicks in. The ski resort lies at the end of a 15.5 kilometres climb with an average gradient of 5.9%.

The 2015 Giro moved through Madonna di Campiglio to finish 3 kilometres higher up the mountain near Rifugio Patascoss. Mikel Landa soloed to victory after forcing a gap in the last part of the ascent.

Bassano del Grappa

In the heart of Veneto, crossed by the river Brenta, the town of Bassano del Grappa is at the foot of the Monte Grappa of the same name, the scene of the bloody battles of the First World War.
It is home for 70,000 people.

Food

Among the food and wine specialties of Bassano and its vast area we find dishes of all kinds.
The Bigoli di Bassano, a typical and tasty first course, the Bassano asparagus washed down with Pove del Grappa Olive Oil, and the Polenta and Asiago, to be enjoyed in the coldest months of the year.

Drink

The vineyards of the area produce wines, both red and white, from breganze, to the Montello and Colli Asolani wines to get to the real Grappa di Bassano.

Madonna di Campiglio

Madonna di Campiglio, Pinzolo and Val Rendena (western Trentino) are a mosaic of natural beauties. In these places, the alpine setting shows its best: on the east side there are the Brenta Dolomites-UNESCO World Heritage, on the west side you can admire the shiny glaciers of the Adamello and Presanella.

Food

The traditional food of Val Rendena sinks its roots into a poor past and features wholesome ingredients and exquisitely authentic flavors like the cornflour for polenta, garden produce, herbs and other aromas. Sausages and cheeses, polenta, mushrooms and wild game are typical Val Rendena delicacies.

Torta di mele e noci (Apple and walnut pie)

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Ah, Monte Bondone, where I learnt to ski back in 1979!
    I had no idea until about 10 years ago that it was an iconic Giro climb.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    No wonder they took it easy today
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    So tao needs to.follow sunweb ... Not take the jersey but just the podium today . Trick to winning a grand tour without mountain support . Take the jersey late .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    davidof said:

Insane
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof said:

Insane
    The next 5 days truly are insane.
    4 MTFs.
    Besides a host of other hills and other mountains to climb, we have 6 classics: Monte Bondone, Passo dello Stelvio, Colle dell’Agnello, Col d’Izoard, Col d'Aubisque and the Col du Tourmalet.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

4 MTFs.
    Besides a host of other hills and other mountains to climb, we have 6 classics: Monte Bondone, Passo dello Stelvio, Colle dell’Agnello, Col d’Izoard, Col d'Aubisque and the Col du Tourmalet.

Apparently it's likely that Agnello will be taken out and replaced by an extra climb of Sestrietres. Hilariously, Francesco Moser is very angry at the thought of a mountain being taken out.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors

davidof said:

Insane
    4 MTFs.
    Lol quite the tour
  • blazing_saddles
    edited October 2020
    RichN95. said:

4 MTFs.

Apparently it's likely that Agnello will be taken out and replaced by an extra climb of Sestrietres. Hilariously, Francesco Moser is very angry at the thought of a mountain being taken out.
    That's the article that has Beppe Conti as source and La flamme rouge tweeted?

Not just the Agnello, but Izoard and Montegenevre, if true. Looks like this, as no on the Finestre either. So, we would be left with this as the not very grand finale.

However, Saturday's weather forecast is very good and decent temperatures, with Friday maybe a slight issue.
    I guess we will find out in the next 24 hours, otherwise riders are going to be left high and dry for attacking opportunities, a la Geraint Thomas.
  • Large breakaway has formed on the first climb:

Bais, Rodriguez, Pernsteier, Zakarin, de la Parte, Guerreiro, Frankiny, de Gendt, Vanhoucke, Carretero, Cataldo, Sepulveda, Villella, Meintjes, Gebreigzabhier, O'Connor, Dennis, Visconti, Ulissi and J Hansen.
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    No visconti...scrap that he is there
  • Pernsteiner @ 9:53 in the break

I'll be honest - never heard of him, but it's a pretty high quality break.
  • mididoctors
    cant see Visconti's name in there?
  • Pernsteiner @ 9:53 in the break

He's 30 but only been a pro for 5 years and WT for the past couple of seasons.
    Best result is 2nd in the Tour of Austria and you don't get that without being able to climb.
  • mididoctors
    we see a fair few jammed electric gears this giro
  • So, Passo Delle Stelvio is now confirmed as a staying in the race.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

Pernsteiner @ 9:53 in the break

He's 30 but only been a pro for 5 years and WT for the past couple of seasons.
    Best result is 2nd in the Tour of Austria and you don't get that without being able to climb.
    Pernsteiner was for over 10 years in the MTB scene, where he concentrated on, and was moderately successful in, MTB marathons and MTB stage races (e.g. Bike Transalp - 7 stages, total under 600 kms but with nearly 19,000 m climbing in that distance).
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Will be interesting to see how much leeway they give the break, and who decides if it needs bringing back - given he's only 7 minutes off the podium
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • So, it's the mayor of Briancon who doesn't want the weapon of mass destruction, formally known as the Giro passing through his town at 40kph.

A french mayor with a God-like complex: who would have thought?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

So, it's the mayor of Briancon who doesn't want the weapon of mass destruction, formally known as the Giro passing through his town at 40kph.

A french mayor with a God-like complex: who would have thought?

Next stop: Head of UCI
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • The lack of posts must reflect the lack of action.
    Scenic but soporific.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I assume there's nothing much happening? I'm in the office for the first time since March so this is the first stage I haven't been able to at least have on in the background. Hopefully sneak it on when my colleague leaves though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Breakaway win again. It will kick off in about 8kms.
    Peloton 6 minutes back riding tempo. I like to think someone will attack at the bottom of the final climb but may well be a repeat of yesterday.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    TdG continually trying to beak up the breakaways but they seem to be short lived attacks.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The RCS didn't learn from last year's mistake.
    It's all well and good having monster climbs mid stage, but you can't force a modern day peloton into action so far from the finish.
    They are then left with these low gradient drags, which shut the race down still further.
    Result? Lots of afternoon naps in front of the tv.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    2 Movistar of 3 dropped already.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited October 2020
    I see they BBC are rejoicing in the fact that they have just announced that the 2022 Commonwealth games will have more women's events and medals than the men.
    So they have found another sure fire way to have people reaching for the tv remote and the off button.
  • orraloon
    And there pops the final Movistar rider. Next Netflix special should be entertaining.
  • pblakeney

I see they BBC are rejoicing in the fact that they have just announced that the 2022 Commonwealth games will have more women's events and medals than the men.
    So they have found another sure fire way to have people reaching for the tv remote and the off button.

I won't have to reach as it wouldn't be on in the first place.
    Might as well watch the local fete races.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Why, oh why do visitors have to arrive now?
    🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    O'Connor gets a gap, 7.5km to go.