La Vuelta 2020 - Stage 1: Irun > Arrate. Eibar - 173 km

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited October 2020

Were you wrong about Froome's form and potential earlier this year?

If it makes you feel better, you were right that the tour would take place.

I had no idea what his form was, though there were small flashes of form. I thought if had done the Tour he would have ridden into some form later in the race. The same applies now, but everyone else has had the racing he hasn't had.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited October 2020
    bm5 said:

Cake looks better than the stew imho. Both typical northern Spain though.

I love ‘Gateau Basque ‘

• Matti66
    Has froome still got a metal plates in his leg? . Its not something you can come back from easily i would have thought. If he has no incidents one imagines he will only get stronger in this race.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Matti66 said:

Has froome still got a metal plates in his leg? . Its not something you can come back from easily i would have thought. If he has no incidents one imagines he will only get stronger in this race.

Maybe the metal plates in his leg are affecting the magnets in his motor. o:)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,936
    Looks like ITV4 have highlights from 7.00 pm each night.
  • Matti66
    Prob got some new rare earth or celestial that costs more than twenty mona Lisa paintings .
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    phreak said:

Be interesting to see where Froome is after a couple of weeks. This is looking like training for him now - maybe he can do a decent job as domestique but ISN must be wondering whether they've blown their budget on a dud.

Normally with training you get better. With Thomas there was clear improvement between the Dauphine and Tirreno, and then into the Worlds/Giro. Froome has shown no such progress and has been well off the pace in every race he's done. It's getting to Cavendish proportions now.
    Froome's finished, I tell you

well someone had to say it

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Pross said:

Ineos must be feeling quite pleased to have his expense of the books for next season at this rate. It's sad to see and I wouldn't completely write him off but it looks like that crash has taken as much out of him as you would have expected.

If only they could ditch Bernal and Thomas
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • phreak said:

Be interesting to see where Froome is after a couple of weeks. This is looking like training for him now - maybe he can do a decent job as domestique but ISN must be wondering whether they've blown their budget on a dud.

Normally with training you get better. With Thomas there was clear improvement between the Dauphine and Tirreno, and then into the Worlds/Giro. Froome has shown no such progress and has been well off the pace in every race he's done. It's getting to Cavendish proportions now.
    Froome's finished, I tell you

well someone had to say it

I don't think so...
  • davidof said:

Pross said:

Ineos must be feeling quite pleased to have his expense of the books for next season at this rate. It's sad to see and I wouldn't completely write him off but it looks like that crash has taken as much out of him as you would have expected.

If only they could ditch Bernal and Thomas
    Blimey, Bernal's fall is even more rapid than his rise, in that case.

Just out of interest, who would you buy in if you had all these spare zillions of cash?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd buy Remco for the future and give Thomas and Bernal joint leadership of The Tour next year. - maybe with TGH as a third card and go full Movistar.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Kauto5
    Kauto5 Posts: 71
    This is more than likely a stupid question with an obvious answer, but what exactly has the crash taken out of Froome or caused a decline do you think?

Has his cardiovascular system and capacity been reduced therefore leaving him with a lower upper limit? Could that potentially also be his age? Is it musculoskeletal? He may simply not be able to physically dig as deep into his reserves anymore. It can't be a question of bottle or whether he still tries as much as he seems to want it as much as ever. In a sport where there are such fine margins between winners and the rest, a small decrease in any of those things could be the cause I suppose.

Unless he's fully recovered and is physically and mentally as strong and capable as ever but just needs form/fitness
  • Matti66
    Seems a reasonable hypothesis to me.