La Vuelta 2020 - Stage 1: Irun > Arrate. Eibar - 173 km

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited October 2020 in Pro race
Stage 1: Irun > Arrate. Eibar - 173 km
Tuesday 20th October, 12-10 BST

La Vuelta begins in style in the mountainous Basque Country. Starting in Irún, on the French/Spanish border, the race travels to a steep summit finish near Sanctuary of Arrate. The route adds up to 173 kilometres. La Vuelta served an Arrate finish in 2012, when big guns Chris Froome, Alberto Contador, Joaquim Rodríguez and Alejandro Valverde battled it out on the steep slopes. The latter took the spoils.

The Tour of the Basque Country serves a finish near the Sanctuary of Arrate. The winners in the last ten editions were Emanuel Buchmann (2019), Enric Mas (2018), Alejandro Valverde (2017), Diego Rosa (2016), Joaquim Rodríguez (2015, 2012), Wout Poels (2014), Nairo Quintana (2013) and Samuel Sánchez (2011, 2010).

The run-in to the finish climb is a gentle way to get La Vuelta started. Following a section on the flat the route takes in three uphills to stretch the legs – Puerto de Udana (6 kilometres at 2.3%),

Alto de Kampazar (6.7 kilometres at 4.1%),

Alto de Elgeta (6.2 kilometres at 5.2% overall but with a steep start)

– before the matadores battle it out on the steep ascent to the Sanctuary of Arrate.
The ascent is 5.3 kilometres long and slopes at 7.7%, but it actually comes down to the last 3 kilometres at almost 10%. After the peak the route continues for 2 kilometres on rolling terrain before the ultimate section goes downhill. So expect the finish to be at breakneck speeds.

Irun

3 stages of La Vuelta have departed from Irún
61.983 inhabitants

Irun is one of the main transit points between France and Spain. The Bidasoa River that flows between the two countries gave its name, among other things, to the historical handball team. This river contains a curious feature that concerns both countries: Pheasant Island. This tiny territory in the middle of the river is the smallest condominium in the world and is governed by France for six months a year, and by Spain for the remaining six months.

Arrate. Eibar

3 stages of La Vuelta have had finales in Eibar. Arrate.
9.245 inhabitants

Arrate is one of the Basque Country’s classic cycling climbs, automatically making it a Spanish cycling classic. It began by naming a cycling race: the ‘Subida a Arrate’; won by riders such as Luis Ocaña, Federico Martín Bahamontes and Raymond Poulidor. The French rider, who passed away recently, conquered Arrate on two occasions. With the race’s disappearance in 1986, the Eibar slopes have continued to be present in both the Itzulia Basque Country and in La Vuelta.

Basque Country Cuisine.

Alubias de Tolosa

Alubias de Tolosa is type of stew made from black beans from Tolosa cooked with onions, olive oil and salt. Pork, morcilla (blood sausage), peppers and chilli are usually added to the mix too, making a hearty feast, perfect during cold weather.

Pastel Vasco

The Basque Country’s most famous dessert is the Pastel Vasco – an almond-like cakey pastry case filled with a vanilla custard-like cream.

The wind is going to spice things up by the looks...

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Cake looks better than the stew imho. Both typical northern Spain though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

The wind is going to spice things up by the looks...

Cross wind in the early stages then. It could be carnage if anyone is up for it so early in the race.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited October 2020

Alubias de Tolosa

Alubias de Tolosa is type of stew made from black beans from Tolosa cooked with onions, olive oil and salt. Pork, morcilla (blood sausage), peppers and chilli are usually added to the mix too, making a hearty feast, perfect during cold weather.

So here's the problem. I see something like this and I think that's my kind of thing. So I look up the recipe and it says cooking time 3 hours. It's 2020. nothing should more than an hour. It's just beans and pig. Sort it out.

And expanding on a theme, I think it would be better with Chorizo.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    There's weather warnings in place for the wind throughout the day and also 'disruption due to coastal events' but that expires at 11.00am. It could be a very nervy first day with lots of crashes as riders try to stay near the front.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    RichN95. said:

Alubias de Tolosa

So here's the problem. I see something like this and I think that's my kind of thing. So I look up the recipe and it says cooking time 3 hours. It's 2020. nothing should more than an hour. It's just beans and pig. Sort it out.

And expanding on a theme, I think it would be better with Chorizo.
    3hrs, but only a tiny part of that isn't doing something else while it bubbles slowly in the pot. Stick it on, go and watch the race, it's done when the race is over.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • We are underway and Jumbo have taken up where they left off: pulling along the peloton when they don't have to.

Cavanga, Suttelin, Wellens, Jauregui and Bol have a 3 minute 50" lead.
  • RichN95. said:

Quentin Jauregui is the kid on the right of this 2012 Cyclo-cross podium

Moved that to the stage thread for you Rich.
  • RichN95.
    That was the thread I thought I was on.
  • RichN95.
    Crash for Daniel Martinez. He's struggling on but it looks bad. (My PTP pick for today)
  • RichN95. said:

Crash for Daniel Martinez. He's struggling on but it looks bad. (My PTP pick for today)

Since he won the Dauphine he has struggled to stay upright in both GTs.

Should be about 35kms left by the time the Giro finishes, by my reckoning, in case anybody is planning to watch in this order.
  • Do we have the answer re: Froome already?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Looks that way. See also: Pinot.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020

Do we have the answer re: Froome already?

Did anyone expect any other answer? I think he could be good later in the race. He's still hanging in there though.
  • RichN95. said:

Did anyone expect any other answer? I think he could be good later in the race. He's still hanging in there though.
    Surprised he's even there if he's going to be that far off the pace.
  • This is one hell of a stage to kick off with!

Down to 8 in the front group of favourites .
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

RichN95. said:

It's a bit weird this year. I wasn't sure why Ineos were riding hard to set up Roglic for the win when Froome was trying to limit his losses.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

This is one hell of a stage to kick off with!

Who's left?
  • mrb123 said:

This is one hell of a stage to kick off with!

Who's left?
    Roglic wins by 1 second from Carapaz and Dan Martin (!)

Chaves, Grossartner, Mas same time, plus Carthy 4 seconds back and Kuss a few more back
  • Everyone else loses almost a minute at least
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    I am so ****ing bored of roglic.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

RichN95. said:

It's a bit weird this year. I wasn't sure why Ineos were riding hard to set up Roglic for the win when Froome was trying to limit his losses.
    They're all in for Carapaz. Froome is obviously nowhere at the moment, he lost over 11 mins :#
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pinot @ 9:56, Froome @ 11:12
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    jam1e said:

I am so ****ing bored of roglic.

What? I guy who won the Vuelta last year, came within a gnat's wotsit of winning the Tour this year, was at the sharp end of the Worlds, just won a monument and has now ridden everyone off his wheel on stage 1 of this Vuelta?

Tough crowd...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Be interesting to see where Froome is after a couple of weeks. This is looking like training for him now - maybe he can do a decent job as domestique but ISN must be wondering whether they've blown their budget on a dud.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean

RichN95. said:

They're all in for Carapaz. Froome is obviously nowhere at the moment, he lost over 11 mins :#
    I hadn't realised he was that far back. Not sure that Carapaz is good enough or that a mountain train is the right tactic for him.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892

Be interesting to see where Froome is after a couple of weeks. This is looking like training for him now - maybe he can do a decent job as domestique but ISN must be wondering whether they've blown their budget on a dud.

Normally with training you get better. With Thomas there was clear improvement between the Dauphine and Tirreno, and then into the Worlds/Giro. Froome has shown no such progress and has been well off the pace in every race he's done. It's getting to Cavendish proportions now.
  • Jumbo and Roglic just can't resist taking these leaders jerseys way too soon.
    Looks as if he and Kuss miraculously haven't dipped a fraction in form since the Tour.
    Amazing consistency throughout the Jumbo team really.

So, Pinot, Woods, Valsov, Martinez and Izagirre already out of the GC battle, which leaves extremely thin pickings after just the first stage.

Froome will struggle on for a bit, but I see him climbing off, rather than coming good and climbing up.
    Hope I am wrong, but....
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020

He needs racing. He's only done Tirreno (which was mostly flat) and half LBL in the last two months. He needs a proper race to set himself up for next year.
    phreak said:

Normally with training you get better. With Thomas there was clear improvement between the Dauphine and Tirreno, and then into the Worlds/Giro. Froome has shown no such progress and has been well off the pace in every race he's done. It's getting to Cavendish proportions now.

He's racing against people who have had a busy schedule of racing, most did the Tour. He just hasn't.
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95. said:

He needs racing. He's only done Tirreno (which was mostly flat) and half LBL in the last two months. He needs a proper race to set himself up for next year.
    phreak said:

He's racing against people who have had a busy schedule of racing, most did the Tour. He just hasn't.
    Were you wrong about Froome's form and potential earlier this year?

If it makes you feel better, you were right that the tour would take place.
  • Pross
    Ineos must be feeling quite pleased to have his expense of the books for next season at this rate. It's sad to see and I wouldn't completely write him off but it looks like that crash has taken as much out of him as you would have expected.