Mark Cavendish Sendoff Year Crowdfunder

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
Morning all,

This idea https://crowdfunder.co.uk/mark-cavendish-sendoff-year came to me in a dream. I asked a few cycling mates, they almost universally agreed (unfortunately, not with me), but I set it up anyway.

I like the idea of Cav having a final year, riding for 'us'. If all of the 'new' cyclist (post 2012) pitch in a quid we'd cover it easily.

We could also, as part of the deal, as him to once-and-for-all solve the big bikeradar forum questions:

1) Discs or rim brakes?
2) Handbuilts or off the shelf wheels?

Anyway, happy crowdfunding. And it if doesn't happen, you get refunded. What have you got to lose?
Insert bike here:

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    You think you can set up a World Tour team based on crowdfunding?
    I've got news for you about the bloke in a red suit during December. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    pblakeney said:

You could feasibly cover part of a rider's salary through crowdfunding. Apparently several riders have all or part of their salaries covered specifically by one of the sponsors (thinking Sagan for Specialized).

Disclaimer though, I think it's a bit of a long shot to say the least...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Although that raises an interesting point, BM have Richard Mille as a sponsor, due to Cavendish, if he leaves they presumably wouldn't get that sponsorship any more.

Having riders who can bring sponsors with them is probably quite useful for a team.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

You could feasibly cover part of a rider's salary through crowdfunding. Apparently several riders have all or part of their salaries covered specifically by one of the sponsors (thinking Sagan for Specialized).

I very much doubt that money is a major issue in Cav getting on a team.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mpatts
    edited October 2020
    pblakeney said:

No, the plan is to give the salary to whatever worldtour team wants to sign him.

It is the longest of long shots, but then again in about the year 2000 so did having a couple of TDF winners and a world champion.
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I very much doubt that money is a major issue in Cav getting on a team.
    I do agree that money isn't the issue, as it usually isn't for these type of near to retirement elite sportspeople. But having it as not an issue helps. And given that cycling is one big marketing game, I would expect a clamour for a rider with a million people willing to stick 2 quid in to see him in the 2021 TDF.
    Insert bike here:
  • pblakeney
    I wouldn't expect a clamour for a rider with a million people willing to stick 2 quid in to see him in the 2021 TDF.
    Good luck!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    mpatts said:

Morning all,

This idea https://crowdfunder.co.uk/mark-cavendish-sendoff-year came to me in a dream. I asked a few cycling mates, they almost universally agreed (unfortunately, not with me), but I set it up anyway.

I like the idea of Cav having a final year, riding for 'us'. If all of the 'new' cyclist (post 2012) pitch in a quid we'd cover it easily.

We could also, as part of the deal, as him to once-and-for-all solve the big bikeradar forum questions:

1) Discs or rim brakes?
    2) Handbuilts or off the shelf wheels?

Anyway, happy crowdfunding. And it if doesn't happen, you get refunded. What have you got to lose?

I don't care that much if he continues racing. Everybody has their time. I certainly wouldn't put money into a crowdfunder to support the salary of one of the richest men in the sport (though having read his second book, he is utterly obsessed with money)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    he isnt short of money but I get he wants to ride for another year. I'm sure someone can come up with a deal based on performance/results or whatever criteria they choose.
  • nickice
    amrushton said:

he isnt short of money but I get he wants to ride for another year. I'm sure someone can come up with a deal based on performance/results or whatever criteria they choose.

If he wants to ride, he can bring his own sponsors on board. That's how it works for a lot of lower level riders.
  • mpatts
    I am totally on-board with it not being about being about the money - but it is about the money - hence you can use it to lever where he goes and what he does. It's an expression of value, and we can say we value him and want to see him in the 2021 TdF.
    Insert bike here:
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Is this a wind-up?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • nickice
    mpatts said:

I am totally on-board with it not being about being about the money - but it is about the money - hence you can use it to lever where he goes and what he does. It's an expression of value, and we can say we value him and want to see him in the 2021 TdF.

Out of interest, why do you want to see him at the Tour? What's he going to bring other than some nostalgia?
  • mpatts
    nickice said:

mpatts said:

Out of interest, why do you want to see him at the Tour? What's he going to bring other than some nostalgia?
    Pure nostalgia.
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts
    edited October 2020

Is this a wind-up?

No, I'm about to start a 'bring back Rick Brebant' crowdfunder too*.

*this bit isn't true
    Insert bike here:
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    edited October 2020
    I like Cav, and would like to see him get a deal and manage his final year in a dignified manner, I guess a decent Tour of Britain at the end of a season would be nice.

In the current climate though, getting people to pay to indulge a multi millionaire in doing so suggests a mis-reading of the (wider) room?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mpatts

I like Cav, and would like to see him get a deal and manage his final year in a dignified manner, I guess a decent Tour of Britain at the end of a season would be nice.

In the current climate though, getting people to pay to indulge a multi millionaire in doing so suggests a mis-reading of the (wider) room?

Of course, but no more indulgent than (say) a pair of rapha gloves?

I am - perhaps somewhat optimistically - hopeful that we all need a bit of a lift.
    Insert bike here:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Bless you, I think it's very sweet and Mark would be touched if he saw it. However, unfortunately I don't think it really solves the main problem. 😥
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Seeing Cav performing at his current level does nothing to lift my spirits. I find it a bit sad. And yes, I like Cav and wish him all the best.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    What will happen to the £10 when noone else contributes?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

What will happen to the £10 when noone else contributes?

you get it back :D

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    mpatts said:

Is this a wind-up?

No, I'm about to start a 'bring back Rick Brebant' crowdfunder too*.

*this bit isn't true
    There's only one Tricky Ricky!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited October 2020
    @mpatts I'm going to ask you a question and I want you to be honest.

Are you - or one of your schemes - behind Davide Rebellin's seemingly endless career?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Whenyou look at the some of the riders out there eg Ben O connor from NTT, someone like LeFevre is not going to spend a big chunk of money on an ageing rider when that money can buy guys like O connor or james Knox who are going to serve the team over 2 or 3 years. That dePanne race the other day had enough going on in it even with Cavendish in the bunch
  • mpatts
    Ben6899 said:

@mpatts I'm going to ask you a question and I want you to be honest.

Are you - or one of your schemes - behind Davide Rebellin's seemingly endless career?

Yes, and Mr Kelly's eurosport commentary fees.

You can tell, as he's contractually bound to say tour of france rather than de.
    Insert bike here: