Giro 2020 - Stage 16: Udine – S.Daniele del Friuli 229 km *Spoilers*

Stage 16: Udine – S.Daniele del Friuli 229 km
Tuesday, October 20th, 9:10 BST

The decisive final week of the Giro d'Italia starts with a bang. The Giro serves another race at over 200 kilometres on the 16th stage. The riders travel from Udine to San Daniele del Friuli on a hilly route of 229 kilometres. As a prelude to the Alps stage 15 serves a finishing circuit with three times the Monte di Ragogna.

From the city of Udine the riders will have only 19 km of flat before starting the first climb of the day. The first 100 kilometres are played out to the east of Udine. The riders crisscross the areas close to the Slovenian border.

Madonnina del Domm (GPM2, 10.8 km at 7.1%), with almost 8 km at 8.8% before an easier final stretch, will definitely cause a great fight for the break of the day, both uphill and downhill, as the descent is very technical.

The riders will then reach the town of Cividale, from which the road will stay mostly flat for 25 km. The second GPM of the day is Monte Spig (GPM3, 6.4 km at 7%).

The easier descent brings the riders back to Cividale del Friuli, that features the first intermediate sprint. From there, 30 km of flat more before the third climb, Monteaperta (GPM3, 3.7 km at 7.4%).

From its descent the peloton will head towards the final, tricky circuit, that is to be repeated three times. Each lap is 27 kilometres long. It features two more uphill kicks. The first one appears 5 kilometres into each lap. The 500 metres ascent to Castello di Susans goes up with a maximum incline of 14%, while the Monte di Ragogna is 2.8 kilometres long and the average gradients sits at 10.4%. The last time over this Wall comes at 13 kilometres to go.

On rolling roads the route continues to the finale uphill kicker in the ultimate kilometre. The first 500 metres are steep – 18% max. – before the last 500 metres continue false flat to the line.

Udine

Udine is a town in the center of Friuli Venezia Giulia, a privileged geographical position, surrounded by hills, close to the sea and the mountains, not far from Austria and Slovenia, in the center of Europe.

During the month of September the city hosts “Friuli DOC”: a journey into the most inviting taste and flavors of Friuli Venezia Giulia, a real mix of wines, food, events.

Drink

Udine is located in the “Friuli Grave” DOC area, which ranks first among the Denominations of Friuli Venezia Giulia with a production of over 300,000 hectoliters, equal to almost 50% of the total.
In the “Grave”, as in all Friulian viticulture, the wine bears the name of the grape from which it originates.
The wines of the white grape varieties are fresh, fruity and elegant; harmonious and fragrant reds when young, full and structured if aged.

San Daniele del Friuli

For the first time in history, the Giro d’Italia will arrive in San Daniele del Friuli, a town located in the heart of Friuli-Venezia Giulia and which, despite its small size, is one of the most important villages in the region.

San Daniele del Friuli is famous and known all over the world for the main product of Friuli-Venezia Giulia: the San Daniele DOP. An Italian product that originates from Italian pork legs worked and seasoned only and exclusively in this municipality. The perfect microclimatic conditions allow the pig legs to mature to perfection to obtain San Daniele, a Protected Designation of Origin product since 1996. In the municipal area there are only thirty-one producers of the over 2 million and 600 thousand hams. Prosciutto di San Daniele is made with only three ingredients: pork legs, sea salt and a maturation of not less than 13 months.

Prosciutto di San Daniele is eaten sliced ​​thin at the moment, or used in numerous preparations such as “Tagliolini alla San Daniele”, a typical and characteristic dish of the town.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• This stage has the look of a really nice world championships course.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    Was going to be at the start of this one too... :disappointed:
  • Gaviria has tested positive for COVID-19 (for the second time this year) and is out of the race.
  • Racing is back underway.

Milan ITT aside, the remaining stages are all between 198 and 258 (!) km long.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,067

Racing is back underway.

Milan ITT aside, the remaining stages are all between 198 and 258 (!) km long.

• Huge break going up the road - 28 riders, but no one of any danger to GC (Samitier is closest, 20 minutes down)

Plenty of helpers in case of attacks later tho. 2 each from Astana, Bora, Bahrain and Ineos
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    will have to buy some of the San daniele ham now.
  • I got me some from Sainsbury's - it's really rather nice.
  • I make that 18,000 metres of climbing in the 4 mountain stages.
    Enjoy boys!
  • Break not being given much rope. Only 3:30 so far
  • Gaviria has tested positive for COVID-19 (for the second time this year) and is out of the race.

Another false positive like Matthews?

• It's a possibility.

Either way, I suspect he'll be glad not to go through the third-week sufferfest.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471

It's a possibility.

Either way, I suspect he'll be glad not to go through the third-week sufferfest.

Yeah, probably slipped the testers a few Euros for a false positive.
  • Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Richeze has now abandoned and the team have cited that it's related to Gaviria.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Dead viral particles can trigger a positive. There is an element of viral persistence to this.
  • Visconti adding points to his KoM lead.
    Guererro failed to score on the last GPM.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728

Visconti adding points to his KoM lead.
    Guererro failed to score on the last GPM.

A mechanical. Seems to be that the gremlins like my PTP picks. 🤬
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020
    In case anyone is wondering: There are sound problems with tv coverage, but not on media players.

Hatch is really a glass half empty kind of guy.
    Now the Stelvio has a good weather forecast he is going on about wind chill weather protocols.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801

Gaviria has tested positive for COVID-19 (for the second time this year) and is out of the race.

Dodgy positive or reinfection. Ouff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Matti66 said:

Dead viral particles can trigger a positive. There is an element of viral persistence to this.

Complex affair ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Peloton has taken a lunch break. Break gains an extra minute.

So who are the fast guys in the break? It's only a matter of time before they start trying to thin things out I should think.
  • mididoctors
    What's happening just catching the stream.now .. group away no concerted chase ?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728

In case anyone is wondering: There are sound problems with tv coverage, but not on media players.

Hatch is really a glass half empty kind of guy.
    Now the Stelvio has a good weather forecast he is going on about wind chill weather protocols.

I just wish he'd stop going on about the experienced riders who are way off the time (Nibali in particular) as if they are going to have a legendary day and win the Giro.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

Curious how we are getting odd positives dotted around the teams, but with the exception of MS, no clusters.

It's obvious now, that there is no question that Michael Matthews did not have Covid.
  • mididoctors

Gaviria has tested positive for COVID-19 (for the second time this year) and is out of the race.

Curious how we are getting odd positives dotted around the teams, but with the exception of MS, no clusters.

It's obvious now, that there is no question that Michael Matthews did not have Covid.
    They still using the same test technique?
  • Pross

What's happening just catching the stream.now .. group away no concerted chase ?

28 man break, most teams with multiple representatives no threat to GC and a lead of over 9 minutes (gone another minute plus since I started typing).

Turns out TDG isn't as anti-social as I'd assumed and is having a laugh and chat in the bunch.
  • Matti66 said:

Strange that he must have tested negative lots of times since he genuinely had the infection and before this positive. (I say genuinely because he had symptoms when he had it previously.)

Guess we'll find out whether he continues to test positive. Let's hope it's a false positive. With the thousands of tests they are doing, there will be a few.
  • Pross

Maybe quite a few have had it asymptomatically earlier in the year and so aren't catching it now?
  • mididoctors
    So tao follows the sunweb train and mugs them in the high mountains and wins . His main rival hindlay is wasted working for wilco who cracks big time scuppering both sunweb riders chances .... ?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308

So tao follows the sunweb train and mugs them in the high mountains and wins . His main rival hindlay is wasted working for wilco who cracks big time scuppering both sunweb riders chances .... ?

Fingers crossed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format