Carrera vengeance seat slipping

My son has a black carrera vengeance. The seat keeps slipping and doesn't stay tight when we use an allan key. The teeth on the seat post bracket has worn. My question is can i buy a replacement seat post and does it have to be the same make as the bike?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Yes, you can replace the seat post.
    Make sure you get one of the correct diameter though.

You say the seat post is slipping but do you mean the saddle is slipping? The seat post clamp is on the bike frame. The saddle clamp is on the head of the seat post.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Sounds to me like the interconnecting knurls (groves) have been worn away between the seat post and the seat clamp, is that the case?

Yes you buy both a new seat post and a new clamp and they do NOT have to be made by Carrera BUT they must be the correct sizes for the cycle

You may want to try and repair what you already have first, depending on how good you are at DIY. Using a hacksaw to recut the groves might well have the desired result in grip that you’re after, perhaps with a washer or two on the bolt also. Remove and inspect first

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    There is a product called assembly paste. What it does is increase the friction between mating surfaces. Its purpose is to allow a reduced clamping force like when clamping on a carbon frame, bars or seat post. I use it to reduce the clamping force required when clamping on my dropper post. Droppers have lots of sensitive internals and don't like being squeezed too much.
    Because it allows the same grip for reduced clamping, then it will provide increased grip for the same clamping force.

This is the sort of thing I mean.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/finish-line-fiber-grip-assembly-gel/rp-prod30012

Just because its for carbon components does not mean that you can't use it on other materials.

I have just re-read the blurb about Finish Line Fiber Grip Assemby Gel and I noticed that it has two lines of text that refer to Finish Line grease; ignore it, it's a error.