sunday early crossing at marienborn

'ning

relentless cloud

long ride, short coffees, hope for fun in giro mountains
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, some drizzle at the mo, not sure if I’m going on the club ride or go solo, out for lunch ,giro later
    Have a good day
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Nothing exciting happening here today.
    Might swap some hinges on kitchen cabinets then find a bacon butty.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Another day another long run. Then family stuff and pub stuff
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Three shops visited, no Sunday Times.
    Bugg*r.
    Now waiting for OH to wake up and amble across the road and back to work for another 12.5hr shift, her last for a few days, then it's back to hers to collect the hound, back to mine to collect post, then off in search of a new washing machine.

Exciting, eh?

Beyond finally finding a newspaper somewhere, catching up on the weeks developments and doing the crossword, there's little else on the horizon today, bar collecting OH at 21-30hrs who will then correct and finish the crossword in her customary 10 minutes as usual.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Another trip to the countryside to exercise the hounds so just getting my 3 Weetabix down me.

Only thing of note is this little story. My niece is working on the new Batman film as a make up artist - they've been up in Liverpool doing some filming as apparently parts of the City look like Gotham. Now she's not a bad looking girl but she was a bit surprised when Colin Farrell made a pass at her at the after party. She said she declined the offer...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Slowish start was followed by a short bike ride and a run. Not doing any of this duathlon nonsense, just ride to my cousin's and did a 5k loop with a couple of others round Ham House and back along the river. Furthest I've pedalled in a while at about 5 miles, wrist a bit sore but not too bad.
    Off to see the old dear shortly, need to start clearing stuff out the back garden soon as foxes have moved in. Four legged variety unfortunately. Talking of which, Stevo you know the rules. Also hats off to Mrs Cargobike, never met her of course, but I like her already.
  • Cor look at the time!
    Been most of the morning filling in the form for “Review of The Highway Code to improve road safety for cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders” and sending it off. I don’t know if it’ll do any good but I’ve done the best I can.

Another cuppa then… it’s dry! I might just have a ride :D

• Stevo_666

Talking of which, Stevo you know the rules.

You want a picture of Colin Farrell? I take it that's purely for private use? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,610
    Ride ridden. Thought I would time it to get back to catch the last 40 km or so of de Ronde. Maybe they were faster than schedule or I was slower... 🤔, got back, switched on, 4.5km left. Oh well, at least I caught the finish.

Catch up on Giro to come.

Dry, not too cold with the layers on, plus wind had dropped, so actually an ok experience.
  • Cargobike

Also hats off to Mrs Cargobike, never met her of course, but I like her already.

Bl**dy hell, we've already got one stalker as it is, not sure there's room for another one right now :lol:
    I'll pass on your regards, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to bits in reality.
    She loves her job, but really works her socks off right now, although it appears she's been making paper aeroplanes with the kids in paediatrics most of the morning.

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Cargobike said:

doing the crossword, there's little else on the horizon today, bar collecting OH at 21-30hrs who will then correct and finish the crossword in her customary 10 minutes as usual.

Just finished the Sunday Times cryptic if you need a hint. Sunday always feels different from the weekdays (I think it's the same setter each week), and can be a beast. Today not too bad I thought.

Dull day - washing, walking dog, shopping. Nice lunch at Vietnamese in Kingston.

• Cargobike
    hopkinb said:

Cargobike said:

doing the crossword, there's little else on the horizon today, bar collecting OH at 21-30hrs who will then correct and finish the crossword in her customary 10 minutes as usual.

Just finished the Sunday Times cryptic if you need a hint. Sunday always feels different from the weekdays (I think it's the same setter each week), and can be a beast. Today not too bad I thought.

Woah, woah, woah.....
    Give me a chance, I know I'm thick.
    Left school without a single qualification to my name, unless you regard a CSE in Physical Education as a pinnacle :lol:
    The OH, bless her, has two first-class degrees, plus a Masters.
    She finishes the crossword whatever.
    Thanks for the offer, but hints are not required. It is expected that I will fail the majority. I know my place ;)
    Good job I know how to work the dishwasher, iron, washing machine etc.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Mrs H³ earns more than me. I'm a very enthusiastic cook, slightly obsessive cleaner, excellent folder of clothes, badgerer of kids. I keep suggesting part time for me, ...she keeps telling me to p!ss off.

One of the best cryptic crossword solvers I know of via forums, is an ex-cabbie. It's just learning a "language" and set of rules. Plus practice. Lots of that, and you'll only do that if it interests you.

Nice that we have a new bracketeer, hope the stalker thing gets sorted.

• veronese68
    edited October 2020
    I've only just applied for the stalker position, give me a chance.
    If you're doing all that whilst working full time it's hardly surprising the EPO won't let you go part time, you need to step back whilst making it look like you are flat out. Then try again.
    Steve, I had a feeling you'd ask that. But, being a bit thick I didn't make it clear enough.
    Found a video of Piña restoring a bike, skip to 14 minutes for how he fits the, errrm, antlers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVpytktZFY
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Mrs H³ earns more than me. I'm a very enthusiastic cook, slightly obsessive cleaner, excellent folder of clothes, badgerer of kids. I keep suggesting part time for me, ...she keeps telling me to p!ss off.

One of the best cryptic crossword solvers I know of via forums, is an ex-cabbie. It's just learning a "language" and set of rules. Plus practice. Lots of that, and you'll only do that if it interests you.

Nice that we have a new bracketeer, hope the stalker thing gets sorted.

Funny that, I suggested that Mrs. 666 goes out and earns some money for a change now that junior is away at uni and she says exactly the same thing to me :)
  • Stevo_666

Steve, I had a feeling you'd ask that. But, being a bit thick I didn't make it clear enough.

OK, I get it V - just because its you, here you go...
    https://youtu.be/zAfWZi3rCXU
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm not clicking that link as I suspect it's a carry over from the Crudders :smiley:
    That or you're trying to Rick Roll me.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I'm not clicking that link as I suspect it's a carry over from the Crudders :smiley:
    Its got nothing to do with horses or Rick Astley, honest Guv :smiley: Here's an embedded version, totally legit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfWZi3rCXU
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Its got nothing to do with horses or Rick Astley, honest Guv :smiley: Here's an embedded version, totally legit...
    I'm almost disappointed, I love horses :D
    Seriously though, good for her and she is indeed very lovely
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm almost disappointed, I love horses :D
    Seriously though, good for her and she is indeed very lovely
    That's probably not far different from what Colin Farrell said :p
  • Cargobike
    hopkinb said:

The funny thing is, with all these qualifications and an eminently good job, salary wise, the OH has a substantially lower earning potential than me.

Not that it means anything in the big scheme of things, but luckily for her I'm also a decent cook, probably a bit OCD with cleaning and only badger other peoples kids!

I can only wonder about the idea of going part-time, I'll be working 7 days a week through to Christmas from now, while over the whole year I've had less than a week off, pretty pointless during the pandemic, when internet shopping is going through the roof.

Luckily for her, but probably for the best all things considered, the OH is looking into the idea of going part-time, she's even mentioned the concept of starting a family soon.

As if I haven't got enough on my plate :lol: