Mudguards for disc Genesis CdF?

Anything I should know before buying for my Croix De Fer - fitted mudguards before but never to a disc brakes bike - would rather avoid bending the mudguard stays to make them fit if I can.

Thinking of putting 32mm tyres on so mudguards maybe 42mm Blumells or ?
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    The Bluemels should be fine.

I ran the 45mm Chromoplastics on mine. They didn't need the stays bending but did require a spacing part on the front to move the stay out away from the caliper.
  • mrb123
    edited October 2020

Just a little hollow part like this on the bolt to space the stays away from the fork.

Stays will need cutting down too probably. Bolt cutters or hacksaw required.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    When I got my SKS Bluemels for my CX bike it came with spacers which were specifically to keep the stays away from the brake calipers.

I got these ones:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Bluemels-Stingray-28-Mudguard-Set_111247.htm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Thanks both
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Just fitted a set of SKS Edge Al to my winter bike, they only have a single stay each side so no bending to fit around a calliper was required. They also came with the spacers, although I didn't need them (despite the fixing point on my fork being right beside the brake calliper)
  • I’ve fitted SKS bluemels over 35mm tyres. I used some plastic stand off spacers from eBay to prevent the stays getting in the way of the callipers. I also made some flaps from polypropylene sheet.

• Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    I'm going through a right palaver fitting mudguards to my Focus Mares CX bike. There are absolutely no fittings on the bike whatsoever for attaching mudguards :lol:

So far I've had to buy a new fork from Planet X which has eyelets for the stays and crown, plus a fitting to sit beneath my front derallieur clamp to attach the rear mudguard at the base of the seat tube, while using a couple of zip ties to fashion a mount on the seatstay bridge. Now just waiting for some rubber covered P-clips to arrive from SJS Cycles and hopefully I can attach the stays for the rear mudguard with those to the seatstays.

What a load of inconvenience. So far including the rather lovely Portland Design Works mudguards this set-up has cost me over £260!!
  • shimanobottombracket
    edited October 2020
    Cargobike said:

I'm going through a right palaver fitting mudguards to my Focus Mares CX bike. There are absolutely no fittings on the bike whatsoever for attaching mudguards :lol:

So far I've had to buy a new fork from Planet X which has eyelets for the stays and crown, plus a fitting to sit beneath my front derallieur clamp to attach the rear mudguard at the base of the seat tube, while using a couple of zip ties to fashion a mount on the seatstay bridge. Now just waiting for some rubber covered P-clips to arrive from SJS Cycles and hopefully I can attach the stays for the rear mudguard with those to the seatstays.

What a load of inconvenience. So far including the rather lovely Portland Design Works mudguards this set-up has cost me over £260!!

Ouch and bustard! I thought fitting my mudguards and pannier racks sucked. You definitely should drink 10 beers in a row if you haven't done so already.
  • mrb123
    stavgold said:

I’ve fitted SKS bluemels over 35mm tyres. I used some plastic stand off spacers from eBay to prevent the stays getting in the way of the callipers. I also made some flaps from polypropylene sheet.

Snap! I also had to cut a little piece out of the rear guard to accommodate the movement of the arm of the front derailleur. The current Shimano models don't have the same swing arm design so you won't get the same issue.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748

Ouch and bustard! I thought fitting my mudguards and pannier racks sucked. You definitely should drink 10 beers in a row if you haven't done so already.

I'll have the ten pints once I've finally fitted the damn things. Doing so before might lead to WW3.