Ronde van Vlaanderen Sunday 18th October 2020 *Spoilers*

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
edited October 2020 in Pro race
Covid means the route might change. Info stolen from other thread.

* * * * * van Aert, van der Poel, Bettiol, Vanmarcke
* * * * Pedersen, Asgreen
* * * Andersen, Lampaert, Alaphilippe, Kristoff
* * Sénéchal, Stuyven, Benoot, Politt, Trentin, Küng, Degenkolb,
* Rowe, Teuns

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    TheBlazingBean - can you please add 2020 to the thread title, for the benefit of forum archaeologists who will try and dig it up in years to come?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Cheers bb. I would have but down to one hand
  • TheBigBean

TheBlazingBean - can you please add 2020 to the thread title, for the benefit of forum archaeologists who will try and dig it up in years to come?

Done. I even corrected the date. As you can tell, I'm an amateur at this.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I'm getting a strange sense of not being bothered about this race, this year. Maybe it's because my body is out of sync due to the timing, maybe because I don't ride much myself in autumn, maybe I'm just stick of hearing about the two cross riders. I really could do with a good afternoon snooze, so I may tune in and have a lie down.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor

We're all Cat 5s in comparison to Blazing, Bean. But I like to think of myself as an armchair Spoiler-thread DS: "Oh he's left it too late.... He's skipped the food zone, this could cause him problems later...The favourites star ratings are wrong, he'll be watching the wrong riders..."

To be fair, this never stopped you when Boonen was racing.
  • TheBlazingBean - can you please add 2020 to the thread title, for the benefit of forum archaeologists who will try and dig it up in years to come?

We're all Cat 5s in comparison to Blazing, Bean. But I like to think of myself as an armchair Spoiler-thread DS: "Oh he's left it too late.... He's sk
    ipped the food zone, this could cause him problems later...The favourites star ratings are wrong, he'll be watching the wrong riders..."

To be fair, this never stopped you when Boonen was racing.
    You have to learn to.....

......before you can......

Or else you may end up.....

While I am at it, I hope everybody is ready with a few.......

Although I am not sure about these for Sunday lunch.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Treat it like a glorified E3
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I'm ready for tomorrow. Here are the hellingen.

This year I have a team of three, I'll be the experienced classics watcher leading two that have so far only dabbled with the Tour over the cobbles.

I've stocked up on Belgian sausage and cheese (including the Orval and Westmalle cheeses) from a local Belgian charcuterie (yes, we have one in Copenhagen!) run by a big WVA fan.

Pics will likely follow tomorrow.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The two unlabelled bottles were from a homebrew project my eldest lad did in high school about 5 years ago - brewed to a Westmalle Dubbel recipe. They've had a few years in the cupboard to lose some of the sugars ;)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited October 2020

The two unlabelled bottles were from a homebrew project my eldest lad did in high school about 5 years ago - brewed to a Westmalle Dubbel recipe. They've had a few years in the cupboard to lose some of the sugars ;)

Westie Dubbel?
    Those must be a special albino version.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Westie Dubbel?
    The two with the white caps between the Corsendonk and the Orval. Most definitely not albino :-D

The ones you're looking at are the Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze I think.
  • A self imposed break from alcohol means this will be the first Flanders in years where I’m not totally plastered by the finish :D
  • The two unlabelled bottles were from a homebrew project my eldest lad did in high school about 5 years ago - brewed to a Westmalle Dubbel recipe. They've had a few years in the cupboard to lose some of the sugars ;)

Westie Dubbel?
    The two with the white caps between the Corsendonk and the Orval. Most definitely not albino :-D

The ones you're looking at are the Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze I think.
    Ah right.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

A self imposed break from alcohol means this will be the first Flanders in years where I’m not totally plastered by the finish :D

You're in charge of race tactics updates & spotting which riders are where then.
  • A self imposed break from alcohol means this will be the first Flanders in years where I’m not totally plastered by the finish :D

You're in charge of race tactics updates & spotting which riders are where then.
    I’m gonna stick my neck out here and say the primary tactic will be to cross the finish line before anyone else, and that most riders will be on roads somewhere in the vicinity of Oudenaarde

I’ll have Kirby’s job by next year.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Duchesse tho dude... 🤢
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mike Teunissen is sick. He'll be replaced by Bert-Jan Lindeman.
    So, WVA loses his main support.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Is it an early start tomorrow? Eurosport are showing an 8.40am listing and spiky coverage with the Giro.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds said:

Is it an early start tomorrow? Eurosport are showing an 8.40am listing and spiky coverage with the Giro.

8-40 to 17-05, uninterrupted, covering both the men's and women's races.
    Usually the women start about a half hour or so before the men at around that time.
    However, who knows? They aren't telling.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    As opposed to gsk82, I have high hopes for this - maybe even as high as No_Ta_Doctor’s going to be - even though they’re only doing a paltry 244km.
    Obviously, with high expectation comes disappointment, but this has the potential to be the natural conclusion of so many ‘cross fan conversations (as they watched them knock 77 shades of shite out of each other each week for seasons on end) about how MVDP and WVA would fare against each other in a big boys race and against the worlds best road riders. With P-R out, this is it!
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2020
    Why was this post flagged?

It’s a good post
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I was going to ask what the two unlabelled bottles were.

3 Fonteinen FTW.

I like that big bottle of Duchesse du Bourgogne as well, don't see those in the UK.

Orval is obviously great. I like Brett in all beer.
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

Duchesse tho dude... 🤢

Fantastic beer. Tastes like Tangfastics.
  • bobmcstuff
    You won't like the beers I've got but they weren't bought for this specifically.

One is Norwegian though, check this shit out:

Amundsen 13.5% imperial pastry stout... couldn't leave it on the shelf.
  • So ready for this race.

It's only live on GCN though isn't it?

Or is my Sky planner playing silly 'uns with me?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Eurosport are splitting coverage with the men’s, women’s and Giro. Live from 0840.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited October 2020
    gweeds said:

Eurosport are splitting coverage with the men’s, women’s and Giro. Live from 0840.

ALL 3 ARE LIVE AND UNINTERRUPTED ON THE EUROSPORT PLAYER.

:D:p

Only the Flanders races in full though.
    Giro 11-25 start as usual.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

You won't like the beers I've got but they weren't bought for this specifically.

One is Norwegian though, check this shit out:

Amundsen 13.5% imperial pastry stout... couldn't leave it on the shelf.

I think I've had that on draught, not bad at all if you like that sort of thing!
  • TheBigBean
    edited October 2020
    I'm please that no one has criticised my inclusion of Vanmarcke as five stars. I realise this is probaly due to it not being read or no one bothering to post about it, but I'm taking it as acceptance.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2020
    I’m up on Sporza already 👍🏻

Very weird with no crowds