Giro 2020 - Stage 12: Cesenatico – Cesenatico 204 km *Spoilers*

Stage 12: Cesenatico – Cesenatico 204 km
Thursday, October 15th, 10 :10 CEST

The 12th stage of the Giro d'Italia takes place in and around Cesenatico on the Adriatic coast. The hilly route amounts to 204 kilometres.
The 12th stage honours the Nove Colli Gran Fondo. The world’s first Gran Fondo celebrates its 50th edition in 2020. It will be an out-and-back race in Cesenatico with an elevation gain of roughly 3,800 metres.

The route consists of a loop in which the riders tackle the Ciola, Barbatto, Perticarra, Madonna di Pugliano and Passo del Sieppi. Those last two ascents are located close to micro-state San Marino, where Primoz Roglic won last year’s hilly time trial.

The first hill of the day, Polenta (9.8 km at 2.8%) comes after 26 km of flat and it is uncategorized.
After approximately 20kms of mostly flat roads, the riders are then faced with a series of 8 climbs.
The first, San Matteo (4.3 km at 6.3%) is also uncategorized.
It is followed by the first GPM of the day, Ciola (GPM4, 6 km at 6.4%).

The descent is narrow and quite technical at the bottom, and it connects with the fourth hill, Barbotto (GPM3, 4.5 km at 8.4%). This climb features a really steep final section, and at the top there is a descending false flat on relatively wide roads.

The fifth hill, Montetiffi (1.8 km at 9.8%), is again uncategorized, and after a quick descent the riders will hit the sixth hill, Perticara (GPM3, 8.1 km at 4.7%).

A very twisty descent will then bring everyone to the seventh hill and highest point of the stage, Madonna di Pugliano (GPM3, 9.1 km at 5.5%).

Its descent is fast and fairly easy, and ends at the foot of the uncategorized eighth hill, Passo delle Siepi (5.2 km at 3.7%).
After another descent and the peloton will find the ninth and last climb of the day. S.Giovanni in Galilea (GPM4, 4.4 km at 6.3%), but its last 900m is at 9.6%.

The last 30kms consists of half an easy descent and half as pan flat to get back to the Adriatic coast.

The two intermediate sprints are at kilometre 130.4 and 189.2.

Cesenatico

The renowned seaside resort of Cesenatico lies on the Adriatic Riviera, between Ravenna and Rimini.
Cesenatico welcomes tourists along a marvellous 7-km strip of sandy beach. A thick forest skirts the seafront, before reaching the picturesque old town, crossed by the Harbour.
Leonardo’s Harbour. At the heart of Cesenatico is Leonardo’s Harbour, which owes its name to a historical event that in 1502 saw Leonardo da Vinci commissioned by Cesare Borgia to draw perspective designs of the port of Cesenatico.

Pantani Area. This recently-reopened multimedia museum is a tour through the life and career of the ‘Pirate’, the professional racing cyclist Marco Pantani. Photos, memorabilia and audio-visual materials are on display here.

Food

Local cuisine has its roots in ancient seafaring tradition. Along the quays in the old fishing village of Cesenatico, excellent restaurants supplied daily with fresh fish prepare delicious dishes according to the best traditional recipes, often meeting with a touch of innovation.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

Stage 12: Cesenatico – Cesenatico 204 km
    Thursday, October 15th, 10 :10 CEST

The 12th stage of the Giro d'Italia takes place in and around Cesenatico on the Adriatic coast. The hilly route amounts to 204 kilometres.
    The 12th stage honours the Nove Colli Gran Fondo. The world’s first Gran Fondo celebrates its 50th edition in 2020. It will be an out-and-back race in Cesenatico with an elevation gain of roughly 3,800 metres.

The stage is basically the Nove Colli route; see the Nove Colli 205 km parcours below for comparison.
    But unfortunately the Gran Fondo didn't celebrate its 50th edition this year after all, Corona got in the way. I'd planned to ride the shorter parcours, 130 km (it skips the loop down to Madonna di Pugliano). The 50th edition is now planned for 23 May 2021.

The last climb (San Giovanni in Galilea) is usually known as Gorolo, the name of the hamlet near its base, and, although not shown on the hill profiles above (because they only consider 1 km lengths), several of the climbs have short, pretty steep stretches - e.g. between kms 3.5 and 4.0 on the Gorolo it is mostly over 12% and briefly at 17%. The Barbotto is similar between kms 3.9 and 4.4.

This year being scuppered, my only Nove Colli occasion is now 23 years ago (the full route), although I have been back cycling in the area (and those same climbs) twice since then. Not the best road surfaces around there - unless they've been recently and specially improved for this stage.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Looks a bit of a beast. Thanks for the first hand info jimmyjams
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I've got a feeling that some teams might not want to let Sagan get in a breakaway today.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The Policemen have been working with the e-Giro which is being run concurrently but separately. They are not working on the Giro itself.

The e-Giro: https://www.giroe.it/en/giro-e/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Break: François Bidard (AG2R La Mondiale), Simon Pellaud (Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec), Manuele Boaro (Astana), Mark Padun (Bahrain McLaren), Cesare Benedetti (Bora-Hansgrohe), Joey Rosskopf (CCC Team), Jesper Hansen (Cofidis), Simon Clarke (EF Pro Cycling), Albert Torres (Movistar), Victor Campenaerts (NTT Pro Cycling), Jhonathan Narváez (Ineos Grenadiers), Max Richeze (UAE Team Emirates) and Etienne Van Empel (Vini Zabù-Brado-KTM)
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Damn, I backed Narvaez on the wrong day.
  • Missed the start - did Sagan not get allowed in the break then?
  • RichN95.
    LOL. It's made better by him throwing the bottle back

• DeadCalm
    NTT possibly about to make fools of those who waited for the break to form before making their PTP pick.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    edited October 2020
    Boaro etc
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    gweeds said:
    What are the odds that all 17 are asymptomatic?

Could there be something wrong with the testing and it giving false positives?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    NTT been really aggressive this giro . Believe in their guy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

Riis, baby
  • elbowloh said:

gweeds said:
    What are the odds that all 17 are asymptomatic?

Could there be something wrong with the testing and it giving false positives?
    Depends whether it was pre-symptoms for some.
  • RichN95.

Riis, baby
    Or maybe they're all looking for a job next year.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Or the breakaway was having a recovery spell since they had a big lead and some not pulling.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeadCalm
    The comedy show that is Ilnur Zakarin continues.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    DeadCalm said:

The comedy show that is Ilnur Zakarin continues.

Is there a rider with worse race craft? He's got so much ability but that summed him up - too far back up the descent, ends up the wrong side of the split, decides to close the gap solo and rejoins the front group a couple seconds ahead of the large group he rode away from.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Going by the watts output on display I'd say that the race hasn't really kicked off yet.
    I imagine them doing similar on a cafe run.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    It must play on his mind . Zakarin . Constantly mocked may amplify the lack of confidence . He needs a serious coaching program for it... Maybe he has? dunno... Pinot was super bad downhill but did something about it.
  • Pross
    The gap is stable again now, they must have put some power down when the peloton took back 5 minutes in a fairly short distance (although the break were probably holding something back by then).
  • Pross
    Feels quite British today with the terrible road surface and type of climbs (and weather).
  • mididoctors
    Small roads
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

Riis, baby
    Or maybe they're all looking for a job next year.
    That's what Rick said ;) . Riis's Letter of Intent wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Now he's trying to find another investor, probably from his pool of wine-club mates.
  • mididoctors
    Road made out of cornflakes
  • No_Ta_Doctor

It must play on his mind . Zakarin . Constantly mocked may amplify the lack of confidence . He needs a serious coaching program for it... Maybe he has? dunno... Pinot was super bad downhill but did something about it.

Was he descending on the hoods again? I'm sure his confidence is shot, but when he was mocked in the Tour he was technically awful. Had a really high center of gravity from being so upright, and far less aero so always having to make more of an effort to keep in touch. It would only take a couple of days coaching to improve drastically.
  • mididoctors

Was he descending on the hoods again? I'm sure his confidence is shot, but when he was mocked in the Tour he was technically awful. Had a really high center of gravity from being so upright, and far less aero so always having to make more of an effort to keep in touch. It would only take a couple of days coaching to improve drastically.
    It's his head has to be . His position is odd .. I suspect he has his stem too low if he isn't getting in the drops .. you think someone would have sorted this by now .
  • mididoctors

It's his head has to be . His position is odd .. I suspect he has his stem too low if he isn't getting in the drops .. you think someone would have sorted this by now .
    I didn't see his descent this time just saw he was off the back on the descent
  • mididoctors
    This lead group is in a confusing number of splits