Helmet accident replacement

Hi guys,

Had a head on accident today and have a small dent on my Poc Octal helmet. Not enough to either break the plastic or crack or split anything, just a small dent.

Lrs
u

Presumably I need to get it replaced, but if I can avoid it I will as they aren’t cheap. What do you guys think?

I can feel I probably did hit the ground with it - my neck is very sore...like I’ve been in an accident.

Does anyone know if they do an accident replacement jobbie?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Do you not have mirrors in your house. Of course it needs replacing it’s hideous, you’ve had a lucky break there. :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    it's absorbed enough energy to permanently deform, presumably it'll now take less energy than this time to deform further or fail should you have another impact

no idea whether that'll be enough to make a meaningful difference to the point at which some brains come out

i'd replace it

i've cracked a couple of giro ones over the years, the 'crash replacement' offer was discount vs. list price, it was always cheaper (and less hassle) to simply buy online from wiggle etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Did it knock some sense into you?! :D:p

Seriously though, hope you are OK.
    As sungod says, it deffo needs replacing - contact the UK distributor to see if there is a crash replacement service.
    Kask certainly have one which I have had to use twice, and it even covered the creash replacement.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Aye, helmets save you once, job done. Replace.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Now I find out Mask do crash replacement, I just bought a new one having broken mine headbutting a car.
    If you replace that with an orange one you could be Rower's mini me.
    But, yes. Replace it. Hope the bike is ok.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Haven't worn a helmet for 20-odd years so can't really comment.

Not trying to be flippant here, but does wearing a helmet make you ride more erratically?

The reason I ask is that not only have I never worn a helmet, but I've never fallen off/had a head on with another vehicle either. Obviously that isn't neccessarily down to rider error.

It always amazes me how often I hear other people say they've had an accident, yet I've couriered on bicycles on and off for more than 2 decades.

Am I just lucky, not trying hard enough, or just a riding God with skillz? :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    First accident in 6 years and 2nd in 12.

If you must know, student riding the wrong way down a one-way Street which was obscured till too late by a dithering pedestrian.
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited October 2020
    Cargobike said:

Not trying to be flippant here, but does wearing a helmet make you ride more erratically?

The reason I ask is that not only have I never worn a helmet, but I've never fallen off/had a head on with another vehicle either. Obviously that isn't neccessarily down to rider error.

It always amazes me how often I hear other people say they've had an accident, yet I've couriered on bicycles on and off for more than 2 decades.

Am I just lucky, not trying hard enough, or just a riding God with skillz? :lol:

You are just incredibly lucky.
    And if and when you do fall and bang your head, you'll wish you had had the sense to be wearing a helmet, or at least the rest of your family will.
  • webboo
    2 helmet right offs in 40 plus years. First hit head on by a Lurcher being used by Hare course group. Owner admitted responsibility and compensation received. Second young lady turned left in to me at junction. Admitted responsibility and again compensation received.
    No matter how safety aware you are, you are not in others thoughts most of the time.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I made a bigger dent in mine walking into a low ceiling beam, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

Cargobike said:

And if and when you do fall and bang your head, you'll wish you had had the sense to be wearing a helmet, or at least the rest of your family will.
    Yep. That sums it up.
  • Your still with us, got all your senses working, the helmets done its job

Retire it, don't cut corners get another one, you've then done everything you reasonably can to look after yourself, no nagging doubts, ride happy IMHO
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited October 2020
    First of all i hope you're ok following the off.

As for the helmet, it's done its job. They are not designed for multiple impacts and chances are the foam will be cracked (under the outer casing).

Bin it or turn it into something, and replace it.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah fairly sure I have some whiplash and concussion, plus a sprained wrist.

Neck feels a mess, so probably did hit my head quite hard.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    just replace it - unless you can't afford to, then just wear it as dented or not - it's better than nothing.
    As to wearing one at all - personal choice - I don't bother on the school run - but do generally otherwise - fell off the other day - chalk path (mtb - chalk damp) - elbow sore, but didn't hit my lid or head (phew!)
    I think I'll carry on wearing one ... ;)
  • veronese68

Yeah fairly sure I have some whiplash and concussion, plus a sprained wrist.

Neck feels a mess, so probably did hit my head quite hard.

Get some physio, I was knocked off in May and still wake up with a stiff neck. My sprained wrist turned out to be broken but even after the second set of Xrays it wasn't confirmed until late August as it needed an MRI. Still can't ride a bike properly because of it and having physio in the hope of avoiding surgery.
    I certainly don't bounce as well as I used to.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Get a new one.
    Mount the old one up somewhere as a trophy.

Sometimes bike shops (Evans, Halfords types) do trade in offers on helmets but I haven't seen any for a while. Still got my last two crash damaged lids lying around waiting to give to someone next time there's such an offer on.
  • Cargobike

Cargobike said:

Damn!

There was me thinking it was down to my God like riding skills :lol:

Okay, genuine rquest, recommend me a helmet for road riding. Money isn't really an issue, but it does actually have to do the job it's designed to do.

TIA.
  • joe2019
    Cargobike said:

Cargobike said:

Damn!

There was me thinking it was down to my God like riding skills :lol:

Okay, genuine rquest, recommend me a helmet for road riding. Money isn't really an issue, but it does actually have to do the job it's designed to do.

TIA.
    Kask Protone

• veronese68
    Helmets are a very personal thing, depends on your head shape. I liked my Kask Mojito so got another mail order as I knew it fitted well. Best to try if you can, or order online and be prepared to return.
  • Dorset_Boy

Helmets are a very personal thing, depends on your head shape. I liked my Kask Mojito so got another mail order as I knew it fitted well. Best to try if you can, or order online and be prepared to return.

I agree. When I tried a Giro some years ago it simply was a different shape to my head! The Kask ones fitted great though.

I'd suggest trying a few different brands and then make a choice based on comfort.
  • joe2019

I agree. When I tried a Giro some years ago it simply was a different shape to my head! The Kask ones fitted great though.

I'd suggest trying a few different brands and then make a choice based on comfort.
    Agree, i wore a Giro for many years and really hated it, so I rode without one more than half the time.

Since I got a Kask I just forget about it because it is the right fit for my head.
  • Now, if you had adopted the swedish model, oh wait, you did...
  • Cargobike
    Thanks all.
    I'll look into it later today.
    Let's hope I can find a huge one to fit my massive head full of brains ;)
  • rick_chasey
    Cargobike said:

Thanks all.
    I'll look into it later today.
    Let's hope I can find a huge one to fit my massive head full of brains ;)

I’m sure they do big purple ones to match ;)
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited October 2020
    I’ve always replaced my lids after a smack. I value my head more than a couple of hundred quid’s worth of lid. I’ve currently got a Kask Protone, a Kask Utopia, and a Casco Warp sprint. The Utopia is my favourite because it’s incredibly light, the Protone is an everyday lid, and the Warp sprint is the sturdiest lid I have, and the one I’ve had to replace due to a crash most recently.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

I’ve always replaced my lids after a smack. I value my head more than a couple of hundred quid’s worth of lid. I’ve currently got a Kask Protone, a Kask Utopia, and a Casco Warp sprint. The Utopia is my favourite because it’s incredibly light, the Protone is an everyday lid, and the Warp sprint is the sturdiest lid I have, and the one I’ve had to replace due to a crash most recently.

Have you had many blows to the head then?
  • rick_chasey
    Update - 2 broken bones in my wrist
  • webboo
    shortfall said:

Have you had many blows to the head then?
    Either too many or not enough. It’s a tough choice :D
  • veronese68

Update - 2 broken bones in my wrist

Sorry to hear that, hopefully having found out quickly it will be treated right and recovery will go well. Good luck with it.