Winter Bib Shorts - Which Of These Two?

I'm thinking about buying some "Winter" (Autumn, Winter and Spring) bib shorts, and I've narrowed it down to these two.

Castelli Tutto Nano Bib Shorts
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-tutto-nano-bib-shorts

Endura FS260 Pro Thermo Bib Shorts
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pro-thermo-bib-shorts

(The links are just for the info, not for the pricing. The Castelli's would work out £8 approx dearer).

At moment I have some Endura Pro SL Bib Shorts, in large. Size wise I'm a small, maybe medium.
But medium was too tight around the groin. Large suits me better.
So if I bought Endura's I'd have some idea what size to get.

If I bought the Castelli's, I'd guess at a large size to start with, and move up.
I recently bought some Castelli NanoFlex 3G Arm & Leg Warmers, so they'd match I suppose.

Which would you recommend for pad comfort (20 - 40 miles leisure riding), warmth and just generally?

Thanks for your advice :)

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,127
    Castelli Tutto Nanos have the Kiss pad which is nowhere near as good (IMO) as the Progetto in their better stuff.

I have the Omloops which are absolutely sublime, and I paid considerably less than the Tutto Nanos you linked to, but I can't see any good deals for them at the moment.

So out of the two I would probably go for the Enduras, but for rides of only up to 40 miles, you'll probably be just as comfortable in DHB Classic Thermals at £60.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-thermal-bib-shorts

Save paying for the nice Castellis till next Spring when the winter stuff is on sale.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    edited October 2020

Castelli Tutto Nanos have the Kiss pad which is nowhere near as good (IMO) as the Progetto in their better stuff.

I have the Omloops which are absolutely sublime, and I paid considerably less than the Tutto Nanos you linked to, but I can't see any good deals for them at the moment.

So out of the two I would probably go for the Enduras, but for rides of only up to 40 miles, you'll probably be just as comfortable in DHB Classic Thermals at £60.

Save paying for the nice Castellis till next Spring when the winter stuff is on sale.

Ha! Agree! (I was thinking almost exactly this before I read your reply.)

I have Castelli Nano Flex 3/4s and DHB thermal shorts. I find the DHB (with roubaix knee warmers) warmer than the Nano Flex and at least as comfortable. (YMMV)
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110

Harry182 said:

Ha! Agree! (I was thinking almost exactly this before I read your reply.)

I have Castelli Nano Flex 3/4s and DHB thermal shorts. I find the DHB (with roubaix knee warmers) warmer than the Nano Flex and at least as comfortable. (YMMV)
    Thank you both very much :)
    I've just looked at the DHB's, and they're £39.60 with discounts (Wiggle and Strava) :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    I have both castelli and endura and if they were priced the same I’d go for endura every time. I really rate their stuff.
  • While we're on the subject - what would people recommend for winter bibs which also some degree of rain protection (either repel treatment or fleecy lined which stays warm?)

I have the Sportful No Rain bibs which are great - warm when dry and work remarkably well when wet - keeping you warm. The pad is comfy enough but I'd love to upgrade to something a bit more plush.
  • RedClip

I have both castelli and endura and if they were priced the same I’d go for endura every time. I really rate their stuff.

Thank you :)
    I think I'll go with the Endura thermals.
    I like their Pro SL's.
  • RedClip said:

I've just looked at the DHB's, and they're £39.60 with discounts (Wiggle and Strava) :D

Are these generic codes you can share? i'm looking for a set of winter bibs as well, and at that price they fit the bill nicely!
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • RedClip
    edited October 2020

RedClip said:

Are these generic codes you can share? i'm looking for a set of winter bibs as well, and at that price they fit the bill nicely!
    My discount for Wiggle is based on their loyalty scheme. That's not possible to share.
    But the Strava discount is :) It's just for certain DHB products, and you'll get 25% off.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-x-strava-beat-the-chill
    Use this code at the checkout: BEATTHECHILL25

The code should be valid until 23:59 November 1st (UK time).
    I believe you can only use it once per order. But you can use the code multiple times on different orders.
  • Thank you very much! Ordered myself a pair.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • RedClip

Thank you very much! Ordered myself a pair.

My pleasure :)
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Ah, Castelli!!

Those of us who aren't anorexic haven't got a chance.

Thank God for Endura
  • rick_chasey
    Cargobike said:

Ah, Castelli!!

Those of us who aren't anorexic haven't got a chance.

Thank God for Endura

Lol my castelli tights could reasonably be tighter
  • rick_chasey
    How did the OP get on?
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

THIS^ I too have both and go for the Enduras every time, however Im just about to buy some new ones and Im going for the Sportful Fiandre, they are very nice!
  • rick_chasey
    Sportful is the same as castelli with a different badge isn’t it?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517

While we're on the subject - what would people recommend for winter bibs which also some degree of rain protection (either repel treatment or fleecy lined which stays warm?)

I have the Sportful No Rain bibs which are great - warm when dry and work remarkably well when wet - keeping you warm. The pad is comfy enough but I'd love to upgrade to something a bit more plush.

i got the castelli sorpasso ros to replace the old sorpasso 2 ones that had done five winters (these seem to be on sale pretty cheap now)

toasty warm, they should be a bit more water repellent, though the old ones were usually still warm enough in the wet

there's also a sorpasso wind ros, not got these but i have the older sorpasso wind ones, these are even warmer, only use them when it's down around zero
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • RedClip

How did the OP get on?

I bought the Endura's. I'm very happy with them.
    I went for the same size (large) as the Endura Pro SL Bib Shorts, and noticed the Thermal version seems more roomier (if that's a word).

My junk seems more on display with the Thermal version, unfortunately.
    I've scared numerous woodland creature, as I've cycled by. I apologise to all squirrels in my local area.
  • rick_chasey
    I’d count that as a bonus but each to their own.

Glad you’re pleased with them.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    RedClip said:

How did the OP get on?

seems more roomier (if that's a word).
    It is, but the "more" is superfluous to requirements...

• RedClip

I’d count that as a bonus but each to their own.

Glad you’re pleased with them.

Maybe Endura could use that in their promo material? :)
    "Your beast will scare furry creatures".
  • RedClip
    mrb123 said:

RedClip said:

How did the OP get on?

It's always good to learn more better English ;)
  • sungod said:

While we're on the subject - what would people recommend for winter bibs which also some degree of rain protection (either repel treatment or fleecy lined which stays warm?)

i got the castelli sorpasso ros to replace the old sorpasso 2 ones that had done five winters (these seem to be on sale pretty cheap now)

toasty warm, they should be a bit more water repellent, though the old ones were usually still warm enough in the wet

there's also a sorpasso wind ros, not got these but i have the older sorpasso wind ones, these are even warmer, only use them when it's down around zero
    Thanks @sungod I was more thinking about shorts. Have seen a smart looking Parenting pair on sale in my size.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,515
    RedClip said:

mrb123 said:

RedClip said:

How did the OP get on?

It's always good to learn more better English ;)
    Yep, you can’t get much more better than a internet forum for improving you’re language skills.
  • bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    regards the dhb thermal bib shorts mentioned above.. I bought a pair using the strava code (thank you to whoever posted it) £43.. and they've been excellent.. Great fit..instantly comfortable.. perfect leg length and as warm as my omloops..i was considering a pair of assos thermal shorts.. glad I stumbled across this thread.. it's saved me a few pennies towards Christmas.. (if it ain't cancelled this year.!!)
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free
  • RedClip
    bendip said:

regards the dhb thermal bib shorts mentioned above.. I bought a pair using the strava code (thank you to whoever posted it) £43.. and they've been excellent.. Great fit..instantly comfortable.. perfect leg length and as warm as my omloops..i was considering a pair of assos thermal shorts.. glad I stumbled across this thread.. it's saved me a few pennies towards Christmas.. (if it ain't cancelled this year.!!)

You're welcome.
    Is the pad of those DHB shorts the same as the one in the Aeron shorts?
    From memory, the Wiggle site seems a bit vague about the pad, and the Q&A section isn't much use either.
  • bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    RedClip said:

bendip said:

You're welcome.
    From memory, the Wiggle site seems a bit vague about the pad, and the Q&A section isn't much use either.
    i've no idea regards the pad and the equivalent in other dhb shorts (i've only got dhb base layers from the brand) it's red, if that helps identify the particular one used.

my first ride in them was 70 miles..i niggled about the road conditions, the crappy weather, the mud/crud gathering round my front brake caliper..the shorts never got a second thought...i appreciate that a good fit is essential on bib shorts, and possibly these are a Goldilocks fit for me..but assuming they don't fall apart over the winter, i'll be trying dhb shorts again
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free
  • RedClip
    bendip said:

i've no idea regards the pad and the equivalent in other dhb shorts (i've only got dhb base layers from the brand) it's red, if that helps identify the particular one used.

my first ride in them was 70 miles..i niggled about the road conditions, the crappy weather, the mud/crud gathering round my front brake caliper..the shorts never got a second thought...i appreciate that a good fit is essential on bib shorts, and possibly these are a Goldilocks fit for me..but assuming they don't fall apart over the winter, i'll be trying dhb shorts again

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,127
    RedClip said:

bendip said:

You're welcome.
    The pad in Classics isn't quite as good as the one in Aerons, but its still made by Cytech, and it's still very good. I've got a pair of both Aeron and Classic longs and have done century winter club rides in both, no discomfort from either.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have never understood why people buy winter bib shorts. I wear the same shorts all year round. Bare legs when it’s warm, leg warmers when it’s a bit cooler. Tights over the top when it’s cold, the wind block tights over the top when it’s really cold.
  • RedClip

The pad in Classics isn't quite as good as the one in Aerons, but its still made by Cytech, and it's still very good. I've got a pair of both Aeron and Classic longs and have done century winter club rides in both, no discomfort from either.

Awesome. Thanks :)