Giro 2020 - Stage 11: Porto S.Elpidio – Rimini 182 km *Spoilers*

Stage 11: Porto S.Elpidio – Rimini 182 km
Wednesday, October 14th, 11:05 BST

The only real chance for a bunch sprint of the second week. The first 105 km of this stage are pan flat along the Adriatic coast, from the starting town of Porto S.Elpidio.
Porto Sant’Elpidio played a role in the 2012 Giro d’Italia. The 6th stage finished in the coastal town, while breakaway rider Miguel Rubiano took the spoils. More recently, Porto Sant’Elpidio hosted stage finishes on the Tirreno-Adriatico. In 2014, Mark Cavendish sprinted to victory and in 2015 Peter Sagan took the spoils at the end of a rain-soaked race.
No finish this time, but the race kicks into gear in Porto Sant’Elpidio to follow the coastline all the way to Rimini.

Monte S.Bartolo (GPM4, 3.9 km at 4.1%) will provide the only categorised climb of the day. After it, the route goes inland for a section of rolling terrain, including the second intermediate sprint of Coriano, before heading back to the coast, finishing in Rimini.

The last km are, as often found at the Giro, quite tricky, featuring a series of turns.
Forming trains won’t be easy and the potential for a disaster never far away, but the bunch sprint should be unavoidable.

The two intermediate sprints are at kilometre 111.3 and kilometre 144.1.

Porto Sant'Elpidio

Porto Sant’Elpidio stretches for over 7km on the Adriatic coastline and, with its renovated city centre, is one of the youngest and most dynamic cities in Fermo province.
Traditionally renowned for high-quality handmade woman footwear’ production and for being a shoes shopping district, in the last decade become a popular tourist destination.

Food

The local cuisine is linked to the seafaring culture and the main ingredient is fish. Traditional recipes include “Sardoncini a scottadito” grilled breaded Sardina fish that can be tasted during the food festival in August.

Drink

Locally produced red wines are Rosso Piceno e Rosso Piceno Superiore;

white wines are Falerio, Pecorino, Passerina. Vino cotto,

passito (raisin wine) and spumante (sparkling wine) are also prepared from the same grapes.

Rimini

Rimini, the ancient Ariminum, is also a city of art with over 22 centuries of history. The medieval city grew within the Roman city. The spectacular Piazza Cavour (Cavour Square), with the Fontana (Fountain) – described by Leonardo da Vinci when he passed through Rimini in 1502)- and the most important public buildings.

Food

You cannot leave Rimini without having tasted a real local piada. Difficult to resist the dozens of kiosks present in the city. The Rimini piada is thinner than that of the rest of Romagna. You can fill it as you wish: ham and squacquerone or wild herbs, vegetables au gratin, up to – but do not tell the purists! – chocolate.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    That finish looks like a crash waiting to happen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    That turn with around 500m to go looks crazy. Wind direction for the early part of the stage would be perfect but it's very light (5 mph) so no klaxon action.
  • I went on holiday to Rimini in 2008 and met Mirko Lorenzetto at a cafe by the k to go marker
  • Pross
    That u turn might not be so bad actually, nice wide roads unless the barriers make them tighter.
  • Going to be difficult to control. Day for the chancers including my break man Rossetto
  • Pross said:

That u turn might not be so bad actually, nice wide roads unless the barriers make them tighter.

It's 2 right angle turns with about 100m between them
  • Pross said:

That turn with around 500m to go looks crazy. Wind direction for the early part of the stage would be perfect but it's very light (5 mph) so no klaxon action.

It's two turns, onto wide roads from my extensive streetview research.

Mad dash to get to the first left turn with the team in front down this road,

but then it's a big wide sweeping left

And then another onto the last 500m

• Good weather has returned.

Mattia Bais, Fabio Mazzucco, Francesco Romano, Sander Armee and of course, Marco Frapporti have 4 minutes plus on the peloton.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited October 2020
    Balls, missed the PTP... Stupid work.
  • Pross

Pross said:

It's 2 right angle turns with about 100m between them
    Yeah, shouldn't be too problematic especially with the weather being good.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    I'll come back in a couple of hours.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

I'll come back in a couple of hours.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Or else go watch the Covid updates on the BBC, because that's pretty much all we get for race commentary these days. Very PC mind.
    Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.
  • Motorbike rear ends Viviani.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2020
    Yet another stupid motorbike rider!
    Nothing serious, unless you thought Viviani was going to win.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    edited October 2020
    Not viviani's year . Subdued vibe to this giro ... Tao has a decent chance at white if it makes it to the hills in the third
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    Breakaway holding out surprisingly well.
    So far...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    Bit more of a "une arrive tricksee" than I though
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    Hmmmm. 20kms and 2 minutes.
    Unlikely, but possible.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    They should get him
  • mididoctors
    They are not gaining
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    Catching him on the line at this rate
  • pblakeney
    Big gain at the 10kms mark. Unlikely.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    pblakeney said:

Big gain at the 10kms mark. Unlikely.

Doomed for sure
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Big train dowsett and bren
  • Demare 4 - Rest of the sprinters 0
  • Pross
    Not sure why Ineos put in that turn to kill the break, seemed a lot to just protect TGH. Demare untouchable, Sagan looked pretty good considering yesterday's efforts though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross said:

Not sure why Ineos put in that turn to kill the break, seemed a lot to just protect TGH. Demare untouchable, Sagan looked pretty good considering yesterday's efforts though.

I thought it was their usual sprint lead-out tactic of starting 7km too early
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Sagan looked good ... Demare kinda baked in
  • FDJ were very cool through everyone else messing up their own lead outs in the last 2km. Impressive.