ride, cafes, wfh, more giro, more biscuits
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Run, wfh, maybe out for a meal
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, damp and cold , dog walked, cleaning the bike I rode yesterday thanks to the farmers mud and manure on the back roads, couldn’t be bothered yesterday as I got caught in some heavy rain, I hopefully will get an appointment with the dentist toothache came on all of a sudden last night
    Have a good day
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Yeah, bl00dy Tuesday. Used to be a great day - dog went off to run a around a field all day, the cleaner came, and there was takeaway for dinner. Not any more. Dog needs walking, house needs cleaning and dinner needs cooking.

At least I'm in the office, so I can have a burrito as big as my head for lunch.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,671
    Truck in for some remedial fixes having failed its 6 month delayed MOT yesterday. It has not done a lot of distance these past v strange months so surprise surprise binding brake caliper etc. 15 years old now this vehicle 😳, a wee bit of investment should see another (low distance?) year's life. I was thinking of changing it for a bike carrying capacity estate car earlier this year before everything stopped - that would have been a lot of wasted depreciation.

Anyway, potter about day plus some Giro.

Ho hum. October. "Things can only get better insert descriptor of choice".
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    Good ride in this morning, though it is a getting bit murky when setting off these days. And I will get soggy on the way home, hey ho.

Stropteen still confined to quarters but at least has lectures to keep her occupied. Stressbag is doing her nut about the standard of food being provided to the students who are in isolation, although if I got that stuff when I was a student I'd have been fine with it. What's wrong with crisps and pot noodles?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    Oooooh I love the smell of napalm in the morning...

Well, not quite. But freshly mixed 2 stroke fuel is an acceptable substitute. Been burning it in my new favourite garden management device, aka a pharking big brush cutter fitted with a ninja star blade.

The weeds never knew what sliced them down in the prime of their lives...

In other news, early trip to vet to get sore paw checked, seems ok, just antibiotics and keep it clean for a few days. Fixed driveway gate wiring. Started to pull out the massively overgrown Carpobrotus Glaucescens ("Pigface") down the front but crikey there's a lot of it... Salad, anyone?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    raining again

given up on wfh, having bubbly with mrs s
  • Site meeting earlier, gym later. Some stuff in between...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141

Oooooh I love the smell of napalm in the morning...

Well, not quite. But freshly mixed 2 stroke fuel is an acceptable substitute. Been burning it in my new favourite garden management device, aka a pharking big brush cutter fitted with a ninja star blade.

The weeds never knew what sliced them down in the prime of their lives...

If it's not got a flamethrower on the end as well then I'm not interested.
  • thistle_
    Struggling to find motivation to WFH today.

It's been sunny all morning so I went out for a quick ride at lunch, and it instantly (well, within 5 minutes) started raining. Never mind, the roads and tracks were basically rivers anyway from the overnight rain.

Onward to home finishing time.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Afternoon folks,
    Busy day of wfh with a distinct case of cba just making it that bit harder. Weather forecast said it was going to rain from 2pm, so foolishly I went for a run at 1. I don't think I'd cleared the garden gate before the first spot of rain, by the time i'd gone 100 yards it was raining properly and it continued for the next half hour, at least it had the decency to stop when I went into the shop to buy some bread so the bread didn't get wet going home.
    Your truck is 15 years old 'loon, that's barely run in. Two stroke garden tools spinner, you need to put some Catrol R in the tank for it to smell really good.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    sungod said:

raining again

Decadent. Tuesday lunchtime bubbly in the rain. Has it brought sunshine to your corner of the capital at least?

I bust one of my Zalto universals the other day. I say that because I bust it whilst washing and drying it after drinking bubbly from it. Leave it until morning, or leave it to the staff, and dock breakages from their wages.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited October 2020
    Failed attempt at removal of old- and fitting of new washing machine by the installation lads today.

"Can't get the machine out - the wood chocking up the front leg is blocking the back - it's glued to the floor or something".

The machine was installed before we bought the flat, I'm very busy at work and say "okay, let's rearrange delivery and installation and in the meantime I'll look into this". They leave.

Despite being busy, I'm a curious Engineer. I hold the washing machine up with one hand and hammer and chisel with other and "wood chocking up the front leg is blocking the back" is a thing of the past. Literally a 30second job.

I appreciate they probably didn't want to break anything, but I'm disappointed more problem solving didn't happen.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • thistle_
    Ben6899 said:

I hold the washing machine up with one hand and hammer and chisel with other and "wood chocking up the front leg is blocking the back" is a thing of the past. Literally a 30second job.

How wonky is your floor if the washing machine needed a block of wood to level it up? :wink:

(the waste pipe from my washing machine is held up with a perfectly sized orange juice bottle under the U bend that I installed about 10 years ago).

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Yeh it slopes towards that particular leg, I can see why whomever did it, did it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sungod
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

raining again

Decadent. Tuesday lunchtime bubbly in the rain. Has it brought sunshine to your corner of the capital at least?

I bust one of my Zalto universals the other day. I say that because I bust it whilst washing and drying it after drinking bubbly from it. Leave it until morning, or leave it to the staff, and dock breakages from their wages.
    rained even more, mrs s usually does the glass breaking, i tend to get a few years between events

on the plus side, yet another bung from centurion, it's to use at a few hotels so i've proposed a city break across the border in mayfair, in-house restaurant is jw steakhouse, nice frites :smiley:
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Ugh!.....
    Made 80-odd people redundant today.
    Hope i never have to do that again.

By the time I get home the missus will be off to do a night shift at the hospital, so I'll get the bike out and smash 40 miles out in the dark to help shake my self-loathing out of the system.

Tomorrow can't come fast enough.
  • sungod
    Cargobike said:

Ugh!.....

By the time I get home the missus will be off to do a night shift at the hospital, so I'll get the bike out and smash 40 miles out in the dark to help shake my self-loathing out of the system.

bummer

but as you clearly care then i'd bet you at least treated people with some dignity and compassion, there're plenty that don't

ride, have a good nightcap, in time maybe you'll be able to help some get other positions
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,671
    Cargobike said:

Ugh!.....

Not good, for anyone. I have back in my corporate days had to terminate peoples' jobs, not at that scale in a big bang, and it hurt me every time. Less than it hurt them of course. Shite times. Blast the bike ride, as hb said boost the endorphins.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Echo the above sentiments, a horrible thing to have to do. All the best CB
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    edited October 2020
    Cargobike said:

Ugh!.....

Not nice ever. Was this your own/family business? Even worse if so.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Stevo_666 said:

Cargobike said:

Ugh!.....

Not nice ever. Was this yourown/family business? Even worse if so.
    Yes, my own business, built from the ground up and I still knew/know everybody by their first name and take great pride in giving young people an opportunity to grow and succeed. They were my extended family.

Tbf I'd bought an existing, failing business 14 months ago, so pre-C19, thinking I could turn it around, but I couldn't. In my niche within the courier/logistics industry big cities aren't the be all and end all any more as so many people are WFH now, so for the profitable side of the business something had to give.

I've now got to go through the same rigmarole tomorrow in Birmingham.

It's not easy looking someone square on in the face while metaphorically throwing them under the bus, but it's my decisions that have led to this point and I'm not willing to take the easy way out and shirk my responsibilities.

I've ensured that everyone is as well looked after as possible, certainly beyond the minimum set out in law, so can now look at myself in the mirror and not see a **** staring back at me, but it still wrankles. Staff are by far and away the most important thing in a business. Not me, the boss and decision maker, but the people who turn up day in day out to earn an honest crust.

On arriving home the OH has brochures for the next big house she thinks we should buy......

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Stevo_666 said:

Cargobike said:

Ugh!.....

Not nice ever. Was this yourown/family business? Even worse if so.
    Plus potato