Giro 2020 - Stage 10: Lanciano – Tortoreto 177 km *Spoilers*

Stage 10: Lanciano – Tortoreto 177 km
Tuesday, October 13th, 10:55 BST

At 177 kilometres, stage 10 on the Giro d'Italia takes place between San Salvo and Tortoreto Lido. The last 40 kilometres are tailor made for Classics riders with a series of short and sharp climbs and tricky roads before the finale is played out on the flat.

The 10th stage kicks into gear in Lanciano – birth place of Damiano Caruso -, a small town in an elevated sport close to the Adriatic. The riders descend to the coast and head north in the direction of Pescara.

The route turns inland to Chieti. Located on a hill, the birth place of last year’s Mountain King, Giulio Ciccone, is the first obstacle in the route. The wall of Chieti (GPM4, 1.8km at 7.8%), with its 1km long stretch at 11.5%, is a common sight at the Tirreno Adriatico, so most of the peloton should be familiar with it.

From there the riders will head back to the coast, where they’ll stay for 60 km, all the way to the first intermediate sprint of Giulianova. 10 kilometres before entering seaside resort Tortoreto Lido the riders leave the shoreline for a promising finale. First, they climb to the old town of Tortoreto and descend into Tortoreto Lido for a first passage on the line. Another flat section along the coast goes to Martinsicuro before 4 kilometres climb at 7% leads to Colonnella. Still roughly 30 kilometres left to race.
Its descent leads to another 10 km of flat along the coast to reach the town of Martinsicuro, where an impressive sequence of hills starts. The first one is also the hardest: Colonnella (GPM3, 3.1 km at 9.2%)

The top is reached at 39 km to go.
Controguerra: 900m at 9.7% (uncatagorised)

The riders fly down to the base of a modest climb of approximately 4 kilometres long. A steep descent leads onto an inclination of 2.5 kilometres at 7.1% with stretches up to 17%.

The route continues downhill – gradual this time – before the final uphill test appears. The ultimate climb of the day is 1.9 kilometres long. The average gradient sits at 7.2%, while it ramps up to 18% in the steepest section.

The route flies down to the last 8 kilometres on the flat.

Lanciano

Lanciano, the ancient capital of the Frentani, is a destination for pilgrimages from all over the world for the Eucharistic Miracle. A monk in the eighth century had a doubt during the celebration of the mass, the host and the wine turned into flesh and blood that are still visible today in the Church of San Francesco.
Located on a hill between the Costa dei Trabocchi and the Majella, it is the reference city of the Frentano area and of the largest metal-industrial industrial area in the center and south, the Val di Sangro.

The Lancianese September.
September in Lanciano is a group of events and manifestations that through the years have overlapped the older celebrations of the opening of the fairs and the Marian festivities of the month of September that traditionally starts with the fireworks on the 29th of August, which is the beginning of the solemn novena in honour of the Madonna del Ponte whose festivity is celebrated on 8th of September.
Since 1833, the year when the 15t century statue of the Virgin del Ponte with Child, was crowned with two golden crowns donated by the Vatican Capitolo solemn celebrations are held every year on 14th, 15th, 16th of September to remember this event.

At 4 a,m on 14th, there is a spectacular “opening” of the festivities with a huge firework display followed by the lightening of the illuminations along Corso Trento e Trieste transformed by te arches in a unique and suggestive bright gallery.

The celebrations carry on for three days and three nights, with musical shows, cultural events, religious celebrations and firework displays and until a few years ago the famous horse races.

Wines: Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, Cerasuolo (rosè wine) Trebbiano and Pecorino, Legonziano (sparkling wine)

Tortoreto

Thanks to its more than 600.000 overnight stays a year, Tortoreto can be considered the main seaside tourist destination in Abruzzo. Overlooking the Adriatic Sea, Tortoreto can be divided into 5 zones: the historical centre, the Old Town, on a hill; the seaside or Lido and three hamlets: Salino, Cavatassi and Terrabianca.

The hills of Abruzzo are famous for the quality of their wine and Tortoreto can be proud to have excellent wineries in its territory that produce Montepulciano d’Abruzzo D.O.C., Montepulciano dAbruzzo Colline Teramane D.O.C.G., Trebbiano and Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo D.O.C., as well Abruzzo Passerina D.O.C. and Abruzzo Pecorino D.O.C. Moreover, we can’t forget to mention olive groves that cover our hills and produce the famous oil “Petruziano of the Teramane Hills”.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I think this could be a GC day. Mikkel Conde agrees;

• Another Stage 10, this time not too far away, finishing in Faenza, back in 2003: Gilberto Simoni attacked on similar parcour to this, took the Maglia Rosa and never relinquished it.
    Stage 12 could be another GC scrap, too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    andyp said:

I think this could be a GC day. Mikkel Conde agrees;

I reckon Nibali is going to love it even if all he does is cause a bit of chaos. Fuglsang might do well too having a bit of Classics experience.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    edited October 2020
    The prospect of losing some (most?) of the high mountain stages might inject a bit if urgency into these stages too. The teams must have discussed that the opportunities to take time might be more limited than it currently stands So a rider with form should make hay while the sun shines.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bookies all over the place - only rider below 10/1 is Ulissi.

Bookies:

*** -
    ** Ulissi
    * Matthes, Narvaez, Sagan, Fuglsang, Swift, Haig (all available shorter than 20/1)

Here's INRNG for comparison (he specifically tips Narvaez):

*** –
    ** Jhonatan Narvaez, Diego Ulissi, Jacob Fuglsang
    * Sagan, Matthews, Swift, Felline, Masnada, Valter, Vendrame
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Kruijswijk covid positive and out of the race
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    And Mitchelton-Scott have withdrawn their whole team after positive tests amongst their staff
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Carnage. Poor Kruijswijk, if he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • andyp
    Sunweb rider out too, yet to be named.

• andyp
    It's definitely going to be a GC today now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    This is turning into a low-octane version of the '98 tour.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    On the Cycling Podcast last night the question was raised 'at what point does the Giro become 'asterisked' if it concludes at all?'.
    Looks like we are heading that way :(
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited October 2020

The prospect of losing some (most?) of the high mountain stages might inject a bit if urgency into these stages too. The teams must have discussed that the opportunities to take time might be more limited than it currently stands So a rider with form should make hay while the sun shines.

Well, the rumoured Plan B for stage 20, which is the most likely to be lost includes the Colle Delle Finestre so not to worry on that score at least.

As for the Covid situation: I had thought that Michelton Scott might withdraw when Yates tested positive. Given half the team were out at that point.
    Bummer for Kruijswijk, lets hope it's not Kelderman at Sunweb, or else I am going to start looking at Nibali's mafia connections.

Anyhow, 2 more than rest day 1 at the Tour.

• INRNG saying the SUNWEB rider is Michael Matthews
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    I’m not sure they’ll finish this race now.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Steven Kruijswijk for Jumbo Visma

Also whole Michelton Scott team have withdrawn after 4 staff test positive.
  • The problem is that you test negative after exposure until you don't. There must surely be riders/staff who have had close contact with Matthews who should also be isolating now. At least no-one hugged him after a stage win.
  • Still, looks like a good day's racing ahead today, eh?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Oh jeez....
    TdF must be giving a sigh of relief, Vuelta must be bricking it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Jumbo have pulled out too.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Oof.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited October 2020

Well, they turned up with only one goal.

The Spirit of '98 people.
    Half the teams went home from the Tour and it still turned out to be quite an interesting race!
  • It certainly adds an element to the racing, as Yates and Kruiswijk both struggled before being confirmed as positive

"Rider X has lost time, has he lost form or has he caught Covid?"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

What is RidgeRider going to do on PTP now?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Well, they turned up with only one goal.

The Spirit of '98 people.
    Half the teams went home from the Tour and it still turned out to be quite an interesting race!

Has Laurent Jalabert organised a walk out in protest at being tested yet?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Humph... :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    They should stop.thr race . It's done ... Seriously that's a rake of positives
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    edited October 2020
    At the time I didn't think Kruijswijk had struggled particularly, as the finish of stage 9 really did not suit him at all.

Be interesting to see, were a lowly Jumbo domestique to test positive at La Vuelta, would Jumbo duck and run, given they are taking The "A" Team....

What did Joss van Emden have to say yesterday, I wonder?

144 riders left in the race.
  • They should stop.thr race . It's done ... Seriously that's a rake of positives

I don't think so, but there's no way they should wait another week for more testing.