Giro 2020 - Stage 8: Giovinazzo – Vieste 200 km *Spoiler*

Stage 8: Giovinazzo – Vieste 200 km
Saturday, October 10th, 10:25 BST

Mostly running along the Adriatic coast, the 9th stage of the Giro d'Italia serves a 200 kilometres route from Giovinazzo to Vieste. From Giovinazzo the riders will go north, following the coastline for 90 km towards the first intermediate sprint in Manfredonia. There, they will enter the Gargano peninsula.

Flat roads in the first half lead onto a more hilly profile in the second half. A local circuit with a double digit ramp with 10 kilometres out serves as finale. Once the riders reach the finishing town of Vieste they will enter a 15 km circuit to be repeated twice.

The Monte Sant’Angelo is the first obstacle, which is an ascent of 8.7 kilometres with an average gradient of 6.6%.

A gradual descent of almost 20 kilometres leads back to the coast and until the Coppa Santa Tecla appears the road goes either up or down. The Coppa Santa Tecla slopes 3 kilometres at 6% before it flattens out. The summit is crested with almost 50 kilometres remaining.
After the descent, the next little climb is categorized, La Guardiola (GPM4, 1.4 km at 5.6%).

Just after moving through Vieste for the first time, the Giro turns inland again to tackle a 14.5 kilometres loop which features a sharp climb on the Via Saragat – 1 kilometre long and with ramps up to 17%. It tops out at 10 km to go, mostly descending false flats.

There are two intermediate sprints – at kilometre 90.3 and kilometre 185.5.

The breakaway could be successful, although other viable options are a late attack or a sprint of a reduced peloton or select group. In other words, pretty much any scenario the average follower of road racing can think of.

Giovinazzo

Fascinating seaside village with an ancient heart, with the dolmen of San Silvestro, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is one of the most delightful medieval villages located on the Adriatic.
With its characteristic marina and the splendid fortified promenade with a walkway over the sea, it offers clean beaches and, at dusk, lights up with locals.

Food

Among the dishes to savor in this beautiful city we find: the famous “pizzella” the delicious “brasciole” and the typical “favetta with chicory” as well as many other delicious dishes.

Vieste (Gargano)

It is the easternmost municipality of the Gargano promontory and of the province of Foggia. The particular urban location of Vieste is linked to the karst nature of the Garganico Promontory. The numerous archaeological sites and finds found in different areas attest to the population of the territory of Vieste since the Paleolithic era.
At the entrance of the village, on the ‘Castello’ beach, south of the town, stands a white limestone monolith, almost 25 meters high, called Pizzomunno, almost the symbol of the Gargano town, almost to guard Vieste.

Food

The most characteristic culinary products include troccoli with stuffed cuttlefish sauce,
stuffed aubergines, fish soup (ciambott),

k’lustr (fried and covered Christmas sweets covered with honey and almonds), calzungidd (stuffed desserts) of chickpea and cocoa paste), the castaggnedd (biscuits with almonds and cocoa), the mustazzul (biscuits with cooked wine and cloves), the (biscuits with sugar glaze,) the chickpea jam, the pettole, troccoli, dried tomatoes in oil, orecchiette with turnip tops and taralli with fennel and white wine.

Some traditional local cheeses [13] are made with Podolica cow’s milk.

Another important and characteristic product of the Viennese territory is extra virgin olive oil which is produced in good quantity and excellent quality.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Love the way it appears, from the profile, that they decided to categorise one of the numerous small climbs in the second half of the race at random. I'm guessing they picked that one due to the short, steep ramp.
  • john_wr
    john_wr Posts: 50
    Last year whilst touring Italy I drove along the full length of Stage 8, so these are my impressions of the route.Unless some money has been spent on the infrastructure, the riders are in for a rough ride. The road as far as Manfredonia has very varied surfacing, rough in places and smooth in others. The patching does not help. Some of the distance is on an embankment above the salt pans and the approach to Manfredonia is very bumpy and poor. I do hope loose bidons do not have an influence on the race.

After Manfredonia the road is very lumpy with many twists and turns. I hope the weather is dry as much of the road is surfaced with a tarmac which resists heat expansion. As I drove this section in wet weather I found the grip available very poor and braking was unstable. There are some beautiful views of the coast.

I hope all goes well.

John

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Simon Yates positive for Covid-19 and, obviously, won't start this morning.

I wish him a quick and full recovery.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    That explains his form.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Let's hope he's not passed it to any other riders or teams.
    Giro might not get much further if it has spread.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Damn. Is that the first in-race positive since racing started up again?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds said:

Damn. Is that the first in-race positive since racing started up again?

Yeah, that gives you an idea of the different lifestyle between footballers and cyclists
    left the forum March 2023
  • Unfortunately, I don't think riding hard just before developing symptoms will have done him any favours. Really hope he comes through it ok.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Preoccupied today so if someone could let me know if it’s worth watching in retrospect by sticking a @rick_chasey post that’d be very well received
  • Kauto5
    Kauto5 Posts: 71
    How long does he have to quarantine for? Will he be able to start the vuelta instead?
  • Pross
    Kauto5 said:

How long does he have to quarantine for? Will he be able to start the vuelta instead?

I don't think it would be a good idea even if he can.
  • Pross said:

Kauto5 said:

Donald Trump would probably think it's a great idea.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

Pross said:

Kauto5 said:

Donald Trump probably thinks he would win it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Kauto5 said:

Covid gives you super powers from God
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross said:

Kauto5 said:

Trump would give him a Tue for some steroids and put him back on. Could win the Giro.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Kauto5 said:

Of course he would. Only the greats get a big race named after them - Coppi, Bartali, Indurain, Trump.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    edited October 2020
  • Kauto5
    Kauto5 Posts: 71
    Pross said:

Kauto5 said:

You're probably right, but if he tested negative in 10 days and wanted to start, would they be able to prevent it?
  • Kauto5 said:

Pross said:

Kauto5 said:

You're probably right, but if he tested negative in 10 days and wanted to start, would they be able to prevent it?
    Think it might be 14 days in Spain
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    andyp said:

Simon Yates positive for Covid-19 and, obviously, won't start this morning.

I wish him a quick and full recovery.

Explains a lot .. ouffff . Best of luck to all in contact too .

Crossing fingers
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    Htf do you post images on a Android phones
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020

Meanwhile in Washington
  • Looking good for the breakaway atm as they have over 10 minutes.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Peloton showing no signs of being interested in pulling them back atm.
    Bora having a strop and refusing to do any work only to get beaten again.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Fulsang mechanical on descent, chasing back on.
    79 kms to go...

Break still have 10 mins+
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Fuglsang has got a job to catch up 1:00 behind the peleton.

Watching S4C, listening to Mahler.

Possibility of a Brit stage win today, so @rick_chasey won't be keen to tune in.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Suggestion Nibali is driving the peloton to make it hard for Fulsang to get back.....

He wouldn't do that now would he?!!!!!!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Giro coverage is not good at telling you which bit of the race your looking at.
  • Nibali is finally done with stressing everybody out.
  • Pross
    Can't remember Puccio ever being so visible in a race. He'll probably be wishing they could go into all GTs without a GC contender.