Cassette: Ultegra 6800 11-23
Pedals: Look Keo Blade 12Nm
Bottom Bracket: Rotor BBright24

Front Wheel: Aerocoach AEOX Zephyr
Front tyre: Continental GP5000 TL
Rear Wheel: Aerocoach AEOX Zephyr
Rear Tyre: Continental GP5000 TL
Skewers: Halo Hex key

Following a successful season of timetrialling last year, I splashed out and bought a set of wheels in the Aerocoach Black Friday sale. The wheels have sat in their boxes until about 2 months ago when time trialling reopened after the easing of lockdown. My original plan was to plug them straight into my P3C and go from there, and I did this. The only problem was that the generous width of the wheels meant that the disc was a really tight fit between the chainstays. It would fit and turn, but where the disc flares out, about 100mm from the rim, there was about 1mm of clearance either side. Given that I was 90kg and put out 600w+ off the start line, I wasn’t happy with this. I tried the wheels in my Fet B16, and they wouldn’t turn at all in that.

Not only this, but the P3C just didn’t look right with the new wheels. As such, I went exploring new options and found the 2019 in fluro green / white on sale, so impulsively bought one, and transferred the bits from my Felt.

I finished the build last week and immediately rode to the start line of a 10 mile TT. To my surprise, I managed to better my course PB by 70s, off the same average power.I think that there are numerous reasons for this, but at least part must be due to the frame and the wheels. I’ve only just started using tubeless this summer and would normally use 23mm Vittoria tubulars at 120psi. The GP5000TLs at 90psi really smoothed out the ride and allowed me to stay aero more comfortably without being shaken off the bars over the bumps.

Next improvements are a fairing for the top-tube behind the ‘stem’ and a better solution for the Garmin mount, as well as a floro green ring for the Power2Max. I might try the Aerocoach elbow rests and extensions that came with my wheels too.

In summary, the new P3 is a big step on from the P3C in terms of design and this proves that you really can go out, spent money and go faster with new tech.

Comments

• Lovely build, am in similar situation, have p3 frameset waiting to build, currently on felt b2 and wondering if it will be an upgrade. On the rear cable route, did u find that crossing over top tube looked more aero ? Cheers Dan
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    Hi Dan, not really, on the P3 the rear brake cable exits out of the top of the frame and the TriRig Omega brake has it's entry on the centre line, so you can route it either way.

That said, having all the 'messy' stuff like the brake cable and the drivetrain on one side keeps the other side 'clean' from an aero perspective. Not that I'm sure it makes any measurable difference.