Speedplay Zero Aero Covers

Looking at my Speedplay Zero Aero cleats today and I noticed that the covers are quite worn and could do with being replaced. Nowhere seems to have them in stock, is there a reason for this or an alternative I can get. The only other option I could see was the J&l ones on eBay but they are all shipping from China and taking a minimum of 3 weeks to arrive.

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    The reason is that Wahoo (who bought Speedplay last year) have discontinued more than half the range and do not seem to have remembered to manufacture stuff people want to buy.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Interesting, I heard about the acquisition but nothing on what they've done with the brand since. What's been discontinued? If I had to guess, the Zero pedal line and its variations must be most of their business anyway.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Glad I never bought into that brand
  • Unfortunately, the square shaped J&L covers don't actually fit the new Zero cleats. It's pretty annoying that Speedplay don't sell them separately. I lost one a few months back and begrudge buying a whole new set of cleats!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    edited October 2020

Looking at my Speedplay Zero Aero cleats today and I noticed that the covers are quite worn and could do with being replaced. Nowhere seems to have them in stock, is there a reason for this or an alternative I can get. The only other option I could see was the J&l ones on eBay but they are all shipping from China and taking a minimum of 3 weeks to arrive.

i noticed this a few months ago when checking after i'd just used my spare set

there were still some places you could get the sp ones - try german sites like bike24, r2-bike - but it wasn't urgent so i ordered a couple of pairs of j&l ones to try

delivery was stated as c. 6 weeks, but they actually arrived in just two weeks

perfect fit on the zero walkable/aero cleats

imo they are better than the sp originals, grip is at least as good, and they seem much tougher, the sp ones can deform quite easily and then never return to shape

fwiw i ordered from... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302802625147
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks for that. I contacted Wahoo support and they have said that Wahoo are incorporating all Speedplay stock into their inventory so nothing is publicly available. They are sending me a pair free of charge though so great work from the support team.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I expect Wahoo are working on a Zero based power meter option.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I've got a set of very lightly used SP original walkable cleats I'm looking to sell- ie the cleat mechanism, cleat "bumper", and erm....the screw-in plugs for what it's worth!

£30 posted. DM me for pics if interested. I only used these last year really on my "best", shoes in the Summer. Rest of the time, I used my standard v2 cleats on my older shoes.