Broken computer mount

I've got a computer (a Bryton Rider) where one of its two 'wings' (don't know if there is another word for it) has snapped off, meaning I can't securely fit it to its mount. I don't want to throw it away. Any ideas what to do - maybe I could just glue it to the mount (which would make charging difficult though not impossible I think)? Anything else?

Thanks.

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,555
    The same thing happened to my Garmin. I used this to fix it https://merlincycles.com/raceware-garmin-tab-repair-part-104501.html
    You might be able to use the same on your Bryton with a bit of tinkering (filing reshaping) and then buy a new Garmin mount for the bike.
    Use a strong glue. I used a hot melt glue which has remained stuck for several years but epoxy or ideally a hard plastics adhesive would work well.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 387
    edited October 2020
    Great thanks masjer. Anyone any other ideas or is that the way to go?
  • What I’ve done in the past: Inserted a small self-tapping screw where the lug needs to be. Then built up the lug with Plastic Padding. Filing it down to the correct size and shape. It does take some time to get right, but it did work for many years in all weather conditions. You could try using Polymorph though I’m not sure how good it would be. But at least getting the correct shape from a mould should be easy.
    You’d of thought these bits of plastic would be readily available as spare parts
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 387
    edited October 2020
    Thanks CC, that's the kind of thing I was wondering about. Ten quid does seem a lot for a small piece of plastic! (Although granted small compared to having to buy a new unit). As a matter of interest what size screw did you use?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,555
    This is a cheaper way £4 (which I've successfully used too) to do the same as the raceware repair part. You can use one of these https://tredz.co.uk/.SRAM-QuickView-Garmin-GPS-Computer-Mount-Adaptor-use-with-605-and-705-_70341.htm
    This time though, you have to hollow out the part from the back. I used a forstner drill bit but you could use a Dremel if you have one. Again you'd still have to buy a Garmin mount for the bike.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    The Quadlock Universal Fit kit is an expensive but first rate alternative. You just stick the mount onto the (cleaned) back face of the head unit and away you go. The adhesive pad is by 3M and is very durable. I've been using one on the back of a mobile phone for more than a year without mishap