Ultegra 6800 Left Shifter ok with 10 speed?

japsy
japsy Posts: 78
Hi,
I needed to buy a Ultregra 10 speed LH double and ended up ordering this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DVJ6SI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Which looks like the right item I'm looking for. Unfortunately, they sent me a 6800 which is 11 speed which I only noticed when I came to fit it on my bike - the cable routing is different and the shape is different too. Also, it's outside my return window. I've just emailed the seller to see what my options are.

In the worst case scenario, I'm stuck with it. If the gear and brake pull ratios are the same, it should just work, right? Has anyone got any real world experience of using a 6800 LH double when the rest of the drivetrain is 10 speed 6700? If it works, I'll roll with it, otherwise may end up punting it on.

Thanks.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    edited October 2020
    There is only one way to find out, however I doubt it would work satisfactorily on the shifting side as ST-6800 is designed to work with the corresponding light action FD-6800, not the FD-6700. Brake operation might be compromised also see the Shimano compatibility chart. https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-453&acid=C-456

Don't understand why you should have a problem returning it as it is clearly not the item listed in the description. Take the matter up directly with Amazon, if the seller won't take it back.
  • japsy
    Hi dj58, Thanks for that. I didn't know Shimano produced a compatibility sheet. On saying that, it's not the easiest to interpret.

On my account for the item in Amazon, when I try to return, it says "This item is no longer eligible for return." and gives a date on when the return window closed. I'll read the T and C's when the situation is the item is not the item ordered. It's also complicated as the item was not direct from Amazon, I think the seller was using Amazon as a trading platform.

Thanks.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Different pull ratios for both braking and shifting. On brakes it probably would be livable with, on shifting it won't.

So you'll need a new front mech minimum, possibly a new brake.

Assuming you can get it to work nicely you'll be left with frankenbike with different left and right hand hoods - I have had both, and there is quite a bit of difference in looks and feel.

Personally if I couldn't return it I would list it on EBay and get the right one, or even better sack the whole lot off for a new R8000/R7000 group set part funded by the sale of the old bits.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    As above, brake will be ok, but probably not shifter.
    Shimano tweak the brakes every generation. To get the advantage of the newer models you need to upgrade both levers and callipers, but in my experience over several different combos the mixed generation works as well as with the earlier components.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,251
    I'm using a 10 speed 105 front mech with an 11 speed Ultegra shifter and it works fine. Mine are hydraulic hydraulic so I can't comment on brakes for certain, but I reckon it will be fine.
  • japsy
    Thanks, I'm going to try and return it. Seller is surprised he sent a 6800 as he didn't think they had stock. It clearly has ST-6800 stamped on the mechanism under the hood so I'm confident it's the wrong part he sent.

I did toy with the idea of upgrading the entire groupset to 11 speed and fell down the rabbit whole of looking at SRAM eTAP stuff but quickly came to my senses as my other 2 bikes are 10 speed so keeping everything common there is desirable.
  • japsy
    It's also a pain in the *** trying to source a 6700 shifter. 2nd hand on Ebay seems to be my only option. Some internet stores have parts for the shifter, but not the entire shifter in stock. I don't fancy trying to pull one of these apart for springs to ping everywhere. Even my local very good bikeshop said they'd rather not try and replace parts of a Shimano shifter.
  • dj58
    As you say, NOS of Ultegra 6700 is non existant. If you don't locate a 2nd hand LH STI, your only other alternative is to go with the ST-5700 105 10sp STI which are still available at various retailers. Not ideal and would be mismatched, though would keep you on the road. Non of the 4700 series 10sp is compatible with the previous iteration 10sp by the way.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited October 2020
    As said neither The Tiagra 4700 10 speed shifter or the 6800 Ultegra shifter will work with the 10 speed you have as the pull ratios are incompatible. 5700 105 10 speed shifters are available and should work.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,251
    It's a front shifter, it will work. I know this as I am using one on my bike with a 10 speed front mech and cranks.
  • dj58
    japsy,
    As I said in my original post, there is only one way to find out for sure. veronese68 says it will work, so why don't you fit it and confirm that it does, may be useful for other 10sp 6700 users in the same predicament.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,371

It's a front shifter, it will work. I know this as I am using one on my bike with a 10 speed front mech and cranks.

This seems pretty obvious to me - providing the mech cage is for 10s (due to chain width) the shifter only moves cable/cage from inner ring to outer ring . . . the range of operation is not like it would be over 10/11 on the rear mech.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • japsy
    It's been sent back so I cannot comment about the performance of using 6800 LH with a 6700 front mech and brake calipers. I would've been curious too to see if it would've work but @super_davo 's comment about them feeling different put me right off - and I'm particularly an*l about having the right part for the right job. I was advised by the bike shop that whilst it may work in shifting, because of the difference in width of 10 and 11 sp chains, there may be some more chain rub with the cage (not that I'm very often in the 52 11!).

Managed to source a 2nd hand 6700 on the 'bay for now. But it's a good suggestion on the 105 5700. I see PBK (https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-gear-levers-shifters/shimano-105-st-5700-cycling-sti-levers-black/10774169.html) are doing a pair for £150). Seems reasonable and keep the rear one for when the inevitable RH 6700 goes!

I have 3 bikes @10 Speed (2 Shimano, 1 Sram) so having a spare set of complete levers doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Sorry for anyone in the future who searches for the same query and ends up on this thread with an inconclusive answer.
  • japsy
    Hmm, I did have a reply but I must've deleted it by accident.

I've returned the 6800 shifter so I can't fit and test. The comment from @super_davo put me off where the fit is quite different between the two versions...and my OCD of having the right part for the job would've annoyed me eventually.

I have managed to source a 2nd hand 6700 unit on Ebay but the suggestion of getting some 5700 levers is tempting me as I have 3 bikes all on 10sp so I'm sure another shifter will go at some point so having some spares appeals to me.
  • japsy said:

In the worst case scenario, I'm stuck with it. If the gear and brake pull ratios are the same, it should just work, right? Has anyone got any real world experience of using a 6800 LH double when the rest of the drivetrain is 10 speed 6700? If it works, I'll roll with it, otherwise may end up punting it on.

Thanks.

I have tested 10sp front deraileurs with 11sp gear shifters left side (2 sp this time) and they work BETTER than the 11sp FDs!!