Giro 2020 - Stage 5: Mileto – Camigliatello Silano 225 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited October 2020 in Pro race
Stage 5: Mileto – Camigliatello Silano 225 km
Wednesday, October 7th, 9:25 BST

The Giro heads back to the mainland for a long, medium mountain stage in Calabria. At 225 kilometres, the 5th stage of the Giro is a hilly race from Mileto to Camigliatello Silano. The finale is a 25.6 kilometres climb before a 10 kilometres drop to the line.

From Mileto, the riders will travel along the Tyrrhenic coast for a few kms before heading towards the other side of the peninsula, all of this on rolling terrain with very little actual flat.

Once the flag is dropped the riders tackle a short climb to Vibo Valentina airport before continuing on undulating terrain to Catanzaro. Starting at sea level, the ascent up to the town is 13 kilometres long, although most of it climbs at shallow gradients. The last 2.5 kilometres slope at 7%, while some sections go up at double digit gradients.

The route descends towards kilometre 100 to continue onto the next ascent. The Monte Trearie climbs on narrow roads, howver, the official GPM is just over halfway of the actual climb, which in total would be 17 km at 4.5%.
Tiriolo (GPM3, 10.6 km at 5.3%).

At the top there is a long and irregular plateau, and the descent only starts 30 km later. A demanding, ( the following climb, Rogliano, is uncategorized, even though it is 5.2 km at 6.3%.) lumpy section leads to the foot of the Válico Monte Scuro. The 24.6 kilometres climb at 5.6% features the most trying kilometre – at 10% – halfway. The summit is crested at an elevation of 1,618 metres.

The riders fly down a 12 kilometres descent into Camigliatello Silano.

Chances are that this is a stage for the breakaway, so no obvious favourites.

Mileto

Mileto is a recently founded city. The urban planning of the new Mileto is rectangular, with lengthwise streets, intersected with perpendicular ones. Four symmetrical squares were provided for daily markets and a wider central square for special ones.
Mileto citizens reaped the ruins of the abandoned Norman city, in order to rebuild it. What the earthquake had left it was degraded, dismantled, dismembred, removed and transformed into whitewash. You can admire over Mileto streets several granite portals, coming from the old location.

Camigliatello Silano

Spezzano della Sila is one of the Italian municipalities of around 4,500 inhabitants. Sila is located in the province of Cosenza. The municipality is within the area of the National park of Sila.
Moreover, within the same municipality is located the Camigliatello Silano that is one of the most famous mountain touristic place in Calabria, territory of the Cecita lake.

Food.

On the fertile lands of the Silan plateau there are various excellence that can be found in the local
farms, in the restaurants and in the shops. These excellence honor the generosity of this territory.
There are several typical products to be discovered and to be tasted: the Caciocavallo silano D.O.P.,
the Patata della Sila I.G.P. the Pecorino della Sila, the podolica meat, and the black pig of Calabria.
However, the most famous typical plate is the “Coccìa”. The dish is made with
pork, sheep and goat, and it is prepared with boiled wheat and salt, and then baked.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

However, the most famous typical plate is the “Coccìa”. The dish is made with
    pork, sheep and goat, and it is prepared with boiled wheat and salt, and then baked.

:#

Your daily reminder that some Italian 'cuisine' is actually rank

It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Nibali will love putting some pressure on today, I reckon. Bit of an attack towards the top and see what happens.
  • Nibali will love putting some pressure on today, I reckon. Bit of an attack towards the top and see what happens.

Definitely. He's such a fantastic descender. Just ask Carlton :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,229
    He's clearly so rubbish downhill he's won two monuments off the back of getting down highly technical descents faster than everyone else, but whatever.
  • So far we've had one favourite crashing out on a bidon, another suffering a mysterious loss of form, stray dogs wandering into the peloton, crash barriers being blown into the bunch by low flying aircraft and 2020's Peter Sagan very nearly winning a sprint (but only nearly - there's limits to how weird even this edition of the Giro can get).

Making predictions about today's stage is a mug's game, I reckon.
  • 50 k in and no break yet, according to Rob Hatch. Ganna, TDG and Sagan been trying to get in the break
  • He gets downhill quicker than pretty much everyone else. Surely that's the bit that matters.

Not being on a line that would be ideal for anyone else is a bonus.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

He's clearly so rubbish downhill he's won two monuments off the back of getting down highly technical descents faster than everyone else, but whatever.

Apart from his lombardia win when the guy in second (van avermaat I think) took time back on the descent.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    edited October 2020
    Who started the Nibali and descending discussion? Hang your head in shame - it's too controversial for a spoiler thread.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    edited October 2020
    The break has apparently now formed.

Filippo Ganna (Ineos Grenadiers)
    Salvatore Puccio (Ineos Grenadiers)
    Jan Tratink (Bahrain McLaren)
    Carl Fredrik Hagen (Lotto Soudal)
    Valerio Conti (UAE Team Emirates)
    Hector Carretero (Movistar)
    Jhonatan Restrepo (Androni-Giocattoli-Sidermec)
    Edoardo Zardini (Vini Zabù-KTM).

Whoever picked Conti on PTP, good shout.

Hang on, what time is it over there?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited October 2020
    I picked Conti elsewhere, does that count?

12-30 over there.
    Well into the stage and tv Eurosport go to a break before starting live coverage, so we are left hanging around on the player.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    Tough parcours
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    Ineos back into their GC failure back up mode with two men in the break. Rare to see Puccio be given a chance to ride for himself.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited October 2020
    DeadCalm said:

Before 12, when you posted this, so I just changed my pick to Conti ;)

I've been caught out by waiting for the break to form to make a pick several times though.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

DeadCalm said:

Before 12, so I just changed my pick to Conti ;)
    Indeed. I'm 6 hours ahead of you but realised in time that it wasn't yet 12 over there so made the switch. That has probably doomed the chances for the break sadly.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    ...and out the back goes Conti.
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

...and out the back goes Conti.

Always happens when I try to be smart with the picks.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    ...but he gets back!
    Half man, Half bike
  • mididoctors
    Decent race this giro ...feels odd post tour .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The breakaway are several minutes short of what they need.
    Going to be a GC battle....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214

:o

I'd have been embarrassed if I hadn't picked that up on the pre-start risk assessment when I used to help coach the kids session on a Saturday morning.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    FFS
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mididoctors
    Ineos two up
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    TDG?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    Ganna aero uphill
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

TDG?

Closing on the lead group
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Caicedo battling to not have to put that jersey back on again...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591

pblakeney said:

TDG?

Closing on the lead group
    Looking like he may have timed it right.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TdG finally arrives at the head of the race having done 100% of the work.