Giro 2020 - Stage 4: Catania – Villafranca Tirrena 140 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    I keep hearing Hatch's pronunciation of the name of the rider in the pink jersey (which I've no reason to question btw) as Chihuahua Mader.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Good show, Bora are going full Tour mode.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Bora ramping it up on the climb. What do I know?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Ben Swift looking in trouble
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    He's been down hasn't he?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    in a sexual way or a sad way :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Watched the Quest highlights last night-more adverts than cycling. Like Wiggins but not keen on his presenting style.

G Thomas is incredible, riding that with fractured hip. I came off on a wet manhole cover a few years back and could barely drag myself to the side of the road. Thought I'd broken something, but turned out it was just bruised hip. I must be a right wuss :o

He rode pretty much the whole of the 2013 Tour with a similar injury. I guess the difference there was he had a key support role.

I had a fall out running a few weeks ago, I didn't notice I'd bumped my hip among the cut to both hands, a knee and an elbow and only started feeling it about 5 or 6 miles later. Everything else is now healed (other than part of the cut on my elbow that has become infected) but my hip takes few minutes to loosen up any time I've been sitting or lying down for a while. It's a horrible place to injure. Must be even worse when it is more in the pelvis and you're sat on a saddle all day.
  • The Bora train starting to cause a few to fall off the back
  • Pross
    Gaviria getting dropped as the climb is taken pretty hard. Not sure the gap is enough unless Bora keep pushing on after the top.
  • Viviani.
    The moral of the story is: never buy a slightly used thoroughbred from Quick Step as he'll likely turn into a donkey.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Bora did this at the tour but Sagan didn't deliver on the line to make it count (not enough to really threaten Sam Bennet). Is Sagan their only plan for this year?
  • Pross

Might as well write the race off as a chipper then (apparently).

I thought it had been pretty much before the start due to the timing. It was always going to be a combination of B list GC riders and / or those who were tired from the Tour together with the possibility of stage cancellations. The Vuelta will probably have a stronger start list (on paper at least) and you don't get that very often. I think it's going to be a good race though, definitely not predictable.
  • Pross
    Could be a good stage for Swift if his crash wasn't too bad. I thought they were nearly at the top when Gaviria was dropped but the TV pictures were deceptive, still a lot of climbing to be done.
  • Hairy descent coming up. :)
  • amrushton
    looks the sort of descent that Nibali thrives on. Sketchy, wet and technical
  • amrushton
    edited October 2020
    what's that a cart track? Some road works might have been useful. Thats a grim looking place
  • amrushton said:

looks the sort of descent that Nibali thrives on. Sketchy, wet and technical

Nibali likes his descents the way I like my women, eh? ;)
  • amrushton
    I like your women like that too <3
  • The peloton has split coming through that town.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Unpopular opinion but I love watching the peloton go through a sketchy section.

• I'm wondering if S4C has any regrets now.

I suspect they are having their highest ever viewing figures with many Brits tuned in to what is a niche channel.
  • amrushton
    remember now they did it last year. Wierd that the BBC cant show it but they did the World Championships. Yet a BBC subsidiary gets 2 hours and a highlights. Think ITV4 would be all in for the 3 GT
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Yep, I've still tuned to s4c.
    I don't understand Welsh, but the commentary is still better than the highlights on Quest, with those very affected Italian pronunciations.
    I like Brad, but now he looks like some old bloke you would meet down the allotmnt....
  • amrushton
    Nice move by QS to get the points
  • The pink jersey being decided by an intermediate sprint is fun.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    flite said:

I like Brad, but now he looks like some old bloke you would meet down the allotmnt....

Well, that's the important thing, isn't it?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ferocious pace being set now
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    flite said:

Yep, I've still tuned to s4c.
    I don't understand Welsh, but the commentary is still better than the highlights on Quest, with those very affected Italian pronunciations.

I thinks that's Brad's natural physique when not forced to maintain ultra low body fat for most of the year. The beard makes him look really old though.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    mrfpb said:

Bora did this at the tour but Sagan didn't deliver on the line to make it count (not enough to really threaten Sam Bennet). Is Sagan their only plan for this year?

Peto had a mechanical that day.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Demare just I think
    Twitter: @RichN95