Giro 2020 - Stage 3: Enna – Etna 150 km *Spoilers*

Stage 3: Enna – Etna 150 km
Monday, October 5th, 11:10 BST

The 3rd stage of the Giro d'Italia serves the first high altitude finish. At 150 kilometres, the race leads from Enna to a finish climb of 18.2 kilometres at 6.8% on the slopes of Mount Etna.

This start town of Enna is in the middle of the island, and heads east through a sequence of shallow climbs and descents, rarely surpassing 5%, heading towards the highest active volcano in (geographical) Europe. None of these climbs are categorized. The route serves more gradual climbs in the second half.

The black ashen slopes of Mount Etna form the backdrop for a Giro finish for the sixth time, but this year’s ascent from Linguaglossa is unprecedented. The 18.2 kilometres climb at 6.8% serves double digit gradients in the last 3 kilometres.

A very regular climb at 7% in the first two thirds, followed then by an easier and then a harder section.

Undoubtedly, the GC riders will go head-to-head on Mount Etna. But will it be for the stage honours or to put time into their rivals with the winner coming from the breakaway?
The last Giro stage on the Etna had a little bit of both. Esteban Chaves and Giulio Ciccone were the remaining breakaway riders in the last 5 kilometres. The Colombian left his Italian companion behind, while his team mate Simon Yates attacked in the GC group. He surged across to Chaves and the two came together in the final kilometre. Stage win for Chaves, pink jersey for Yates.

Favourites stage 3 Giro d’Italia 2020
*** Jakob Fuglsang, Rafal Majka, Simon Yates
** Geraint Thomas, Wilco Kelderman, Vincenzo Nibali
* Ilnur Zakarin, Pello Bilbao, Patrick Konrad, Steven Kruijswijk, Giulio Ciccone, Thomas De Gendt

Enna

Enna is known as the highest Regional County Seat in Italy, between 900 and 990 metres high. It was called by Romans Urbs Inexpugnabilis because it was unassailable, Sicily Midpoint because it is in the centre of the island, and Sicily Overlook for the panoramic views. Sheltered on this upland, Enna offers a breath-taking postcard, given by a territorial shape almost unique in the world, due to the lack of mountain chains nearby, high enough to blind the view. It was a fortress for the past three millenniums for peoples like Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Arabians, Normans, Suevians and Aragoneses. Enna is a city full of history and it can praise a monumental heritage among the biggest in the Region.

Lombardia Castle represents the architectural symbol of the city. For almost half a century it had been home of the city opera theatre and it was described as ‘The nearest Theatre to Stars’.

Etna (Linguaglossa - Piano Provenzana)

Linguaglossa is located 44 Km far from Catania, 550 m a.s.l.
It is a typical Etnean village with streets and portals in lava stone, ancient buildings and multiple alleys adorned with murals.
In the past, Linguaglossa was linked to the production and transport of the big pines of Etna, whose wood and resin have been indispensable materials over the centuries.
An historian of the 16th century affirmed that Linguaglossa have been fonded by a group of Genoese and Lombard artisans based in Castiglione.

Food

The product par excellence of Linguaglossa is undoubtedly “Salsiccia al ceppo”, pork meat cut by hand in small pieces, with the typical knife called “partituri”, and processed and stuffed on an oak stump, tree of the Etnean area.
It is flavored with the addition of salt, pepper and the typical wild fennel seeds, to be finally stuffed into natural casings. Its typical knot shape is given by the use of a string which is removed before eating.

Drink

The wines of the area are also very famous, such as: Nerello Mascalese, Nerello Cappuccio, Nero d’Avola, Carricante, Catarratto and Minnella.

Near Linguaglossa there are numerous wineries that produce “DOC Etna” wines of excellent quality and several oil mills that produce extra virgin olive oil typical of the area.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Good finish for Yates you'd think?

GC group watches each other then attach from the group on the last steeper section there.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Being 2020 I'm expecting an explosive finish to this one
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Anyone think Almeida could be the dark horse here? I know it's his first season at WT level but he's already had some very good results.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,313
    edited October 2020
    Don't think he has the chops to go toe to toe against the big dogs yet. He could have an outside shot if they are all caught staring at each other.

I'd expect Nibali to make a strong attack though due to where the race is set and Yates countering. Thomas will probably just ride whatever wheel gets him to the finish without losing too much time. He already has a decent buffer.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Pross said:

Anyone think Almeida could be the dark horse here? I know it's his first season at WT level but he's already had some very good results.

I think he has a reasonable chance of a podium.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Was in Sicily a few years back with friends on a cycling trip. It was early May and still a bit cold. Etna had a mild eruption the night before we arrived and on the trip from the airport to the hotel the roads were covered in about an inch of ash. We were worried that we wouldn't be able to ride much, next morning most of the roads had been roadswept.

We did Etna a couple of times, but could not do the last km or so as the roads were covered in snow still. The first time, on the way down we had to keep stopping, as our hands were freezing (even with gloves) and could't pull the brakes, stopping by putting our feet down. We bumped into a guy on an mtb a few times on our rides, who then joined us. Turned out he was the Italian national downhill champ.

What's it like at the top of Etna now?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Sounds like Thomas has crashed...before the neutral zone.. eek.
  • He has.
    What's the point of Eurosport doing all the pre-stage spiel, then going to the race a fews kms after the start and missing the breakaway attacks have happened?
  • Looks as if he's come down on his left side as his skinsuit is significantly ripped across his shoulder blade and lower down on his side.
  • Matt Holmes in the break today. Along with Visconti and a couple of EF guys
  • rick_chasey
    Bummer for Thomas.

He does seem quite crash prone.

It's odd, as he also seems to be a decent bike handler by all accounts. He can mix it up at the pointy end of Flanders one-dayers and you can't really get by on those without some decent handling.
  • Bummer for Thomas.

He does seem quite crash prone.

It's odd, as he also seems to be a decent bike handler by all accounts. He can mix it up at the pointy end of Flanders one-dayers and you can't really get by on those without some decent handling.

It is odd when he handles himself so well when the frenetic stuff is happening. He never needs a chaperone like Froome or almost all the other GT team leaders.

Anyhow, I wonder if Michelton Scott have usurped Nibali by sensing blood in the water?
  • If Thomas doesn't have an accident in some vaguely farcical way, is it even a grand tour?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited October 2020
    Was wondering why there was no commentary on my GCN App until I realised I had it turned off...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Roads look rough as they do in Salford where I am
  • Thomas in trouble?
  • Thomas is already dropped before the climb.
    Must be badly hurt.
  • Not looking good for Thomas here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    He could abandon and be good for the cobbles
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Fs. Big fan of G but he just manages to find trouble where there shouldn't be
  • Well, I didn't see that coming.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Weird no sign of a problem at all and then bang like that.
  • Big shame for the race ,that.

• RichN95. said:

He could abandon and be good for the cobbles

Not looking good for anything right now.

Wonder if it's a bug rather than the fall in the neutral zone. The kit's scraped up, but Thomas himself doesn't look too badly banged about, unless he's done something like knack his knee as a result.
  • I have read that he crashed for a second time.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 452
    Only Swift and Ganna pacing him back? Who’s plan B then, Tao?
  • rick_chasey
    oh Thomas! And you know they will be going hell for leather to make sure he is buried.
  • I didn't think it looked quite like an injury - just no power all of a sudden
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited October 2020
    RAI is reporting he has crashed for a second time, when Trek took up the pace.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Italian TV reporting that G crashed a second time when Trek picked up the pace.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.