rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

JA DQd

Almost a shame, really.

PTP carnage
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Alaphilippe demoted.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

JA DQd (well, relegated)

Almost a shame, really.

Not winning made that a bit easier for the commissaires
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • JA DQd (well, relegated)

Almost a shame, really.

So hirschi up to 2nd?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • DeadCalm
    edited October 2020

JA DQd

Almost a shame, really.

PTP carnage
    Perfect for me. I had Hirschi.

Edit : Although I think Hirschi would have won in a fair sprint.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Fair play to Roglic, mind. To have not packed in the season after losing the Tour like he did and then keep going to win a biggy shows a lot of mental strength. Hat.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

JA DQd (well, relegated)

Almost a shame, really.

Not winning made that a bit easier for the commissaires
    I think it was a simple decision anyway, I know they're knackered mentally and physically by that stage but there's no excuse for such a violent switch in a 4 man sprint. I think Hirschi and possibly Pogacar both had him until he impeded them. Ironically Roglic would have probably come 4th but for Alaphillipe's move.
  • From the overhead you can see JA take a good look and then move really quite forcefully. It's hard to see how he couldn't have been relegated. Lucky not to wipe Hirschi out totally.
  • DeadCalm said:

JA DQd

Almost a shame, really.

PTP carnage

100%. Cynically robbed him of a double for me.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    JA ruined that a bit by taking out half the riders sprinting.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

JA DQd

Almost a shame, really.

PTP carnage
    Presumably he still gets 4th or 5th.
  • DeadCalm

JA DQd

Almost a shame, really.

PTP carnage
    Presumably he still gets 4th or 5th.
    5th
    Team My Man 2022:

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

Better finish innit?

Loads
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

I guess Roglic of all people knows it ain’t over till it’s over

Lol
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

From the overhead you can see JA take a good look and then move really quite forcefully. It's hard to see how he couldn't have been relegated. Lucky not to wipe Hirschi out totally.

He should be locked up for assault.... Oh no, we punish consequences, not actions, these days.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Not sure if the race was actually as bad as I thought it was or if it was down to idiot man again. I had to turn the commentary off.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Alaphilippe is a liability. Somewhere down the line he is going to cause somebody to have a serious injury.
    He didn't just balk Hirschi, he almost took him down too . All in the space of a km.
    Reminds me of a kid playing on a scooter.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Van Avermaet has three broken ribs and a broken vertebrae, so season over it would seem.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors

DeadCalm said:

JA DQd

Almost a shame, really.

PTP carnage

100%. Cynically robbed him of a double for me.
    Made no friends there JA
  • RichN95.
    I like to think Pogacar is doing a face palm here

• RichN95. said:

Van Avermaet has three broken ribs and a broken vertebrae, so season over it would seem.

May be hindsight, but what's he doing in a race like this before the classics?
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

I wouldn't discount him as a proper contender on the new course.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    edited October 2020
    Definitely a better route, opens it up to a bigger range of riders even though the final selection was very déjà vu
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited October 2020
    With all the attention understandably on Zabelphilippe's antics and their effects on the final km of racing (like Rog joining the club of GT+Monument winners), here's something I found on Twitter:

35th in FW, 53rd in L-B-L (as one of Mathieu's domestiques); and on that note, back-to-back junior cyclo-cross rainbows (2018/19) as well.
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    If we're going into pointless trivia, Chris Froome was a DNF today. His first for over six years, the longest by far of any current cyclist.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

RichN95. said:

Trying to find some form I suspect
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95. said:

Any other suggestions?

A mention of Valverde's absence
    Finish you drink when Froome goes out the back
    That happened within about a minute of you posting this. Were you being prescient or was my GCN feed delayed?
    Team My Man 2022:

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    edited October 2020

Only watched the highlights of women's LBL, but seemed like a good win by Deignan. Grace Brown made a decent fist of nearly chasing her down, too.

She likes going on those long attacks - she won before in Flanders like that when she attacked up that man made hill and in the Worlds I think.

Now overall points leader, which is no mean feat given the form of the "vans"

She looks lighter than ever.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    BBC have down graded Flanders monument status as they say that LBL was Lizzie first monument. Makes Carlton look knowledgeable.