Tyre threads on sidewall - GP5000tl

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
Weird one this. Ever since I got these, threads keep separating from the sidewall. I’ve been cutting them off as they appear and have dotted a bit of flexible super glue on the tyre end of them this morning. Doesn’t seem to cause a problem but has anyone seen this before/should I be worried? Picture below - there a few dotted around the tyre on both sides.

Comments

• Not had that yet on my GP5000 pair, but I only bought them in June or July.

Happened to my ~2+ year old GP4000S II pair, was still using one of them until very recently and I'm thinking about using it again.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Quite common on GP4000s, and not an issue if you cut them off.
    Not had it happen on GP5000s yet, with 7,000 kms on them.
  • johngti
    They don’t seem to be causing any sort of problem. I was working on the assumption that it’s just sloppy manufacturing but better safe...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    It always happens on Conti tyres. Really annoying yet I continue to use them as I like the level of grip they give.

Anyway, best way to get rid is to singe them off with a lighter.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    As others have experienced, i have had this happen on every set of conti tyres i have owned. Hasn't caused any issues. Just trim them off and ride on :)
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited October 2020
    It’s my biggest bug bear with Continental tyres. The side walls are made of cheese. The carcasses fail with monotonous regularity as well in my experience. I refuse to use them anymore. They seem to try to employ the techniques used to construct their motor vehicle tyres, on bike tyres, and it just doesn’t work.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

It’s my biggest bug bear with Continental tyres. The side walls are made of cheese. The carcasses fail with monotonous regularity as well in my experience. I refuse to use them anymore. They seem to try to employ the techniques used to construct their motor vehicle tyres, on bike tyres, and it just doesn’t work.

Alternative view from the real world which i inhabit. Theyre great, where ive had side walls fail its been as a result of flints slashing them. This is an issue with all brands.

• brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited October 2020
    david37 said:

Alternative view from the real world which i inhabit. Theyre great, where ive had side walls fail its been as a result of flints slashing them. This is an issue with all brands.

The probable issue in this case, was caused by the unacceptable difficulty in mounting the things. The GP5000 TL are a complete nightmare to fit on most rims. I’ve never had anything like the issues with just about any other tubeless tyre. I’ve also not had the degree of issues with the side walls, with any other tyre brand I’ve used, flints or no flints. That includes such giants of the tyre world as Decathlon, with their ( superb, but discontinued ‘protect’ range). For the premium you pay for Continental tyres, I’d demand far better. But that’s what it comes down to ultimately. “Look at me, I’ve got expensive ( but crap ) tyres, I am considerably richer than yowww”. Yeah okay.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Says the man with a ten grand bike...
  • johngti

david37 said:

The probable issue in this case, was caused by the unacceptable difficulty in mounting the things. The GP5000 TL are a complete nightmare to fit on most rims. I’ve never had anything like the issues with just about any other tubeless tyre. I’ve also not had the degree of issues with the side walls, with any other tyre brand I’ve used, flints or no flints. That includes such giants of the tyre world as Decathlon, with their ( superb, but discontinued ‘protect’ range). For the premium you pay for Continental tyres, I’d demand far better. But that’s what it comes down to ultimately. “Look at me, I’ve got expensive ( but censored ) tyres, I am considerably richer than yowww”. Yeah okay.

Well thanks for putting words into my mouth. Sorry to disappoint you but I’m not rich, I just find that I feel safest with Continentals so I’m sticking with them.

In terms of mounting, you might have a point except its happening on front and rear and I found the rear in particular quite easy to get onto the rim. The front was a bit of a pain but got there in the end. I also have GP5000s on my best bike, had more trouble mounting those but there’s no sign of a similar problem.

Have you actually every tried them or are you basing your opinion on internet chatter? Oh, and whatever you said re “look how rich I am because I have expensive gear” (paraphrased), how does your super expensive bike/groupset set up make you feel? You know that if you have nothing positive to add to a discussion then you’re perfectly entitled to not say anything, yes?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Oohhh, he knows that alright.