Your favourite ride...

13»

Comments

• Any where in the Peak District cos its beautiful and challenging
  • Up down and around the hellingen in flanders -
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    The route of the Peak District epic Sportive, but done on a quiet Sunday morning. 63 miles with 7,300ft of climbing, starting and finishing in Bakewell. Tough but rewarding with super quiet roads and fantastic scenery along the way.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Snake Pass by a country mile... or 12.
  • Port Pollenca to Cap Formentor with its new surface. Smooth as silk, great scenery and a couple of decent climbs.

12.jpg
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Around Loch Tay from Dunkeld via Glen Quaich and add on Ben Lawers.
    90ish miles with some major climbs. Back through Aberfeldy if you are tired, back over Glen Quaich if your legs are still up for it and want testing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Loch Tay and Glen Quaich, ooh yes. Broke a chain on the steep start to the Glen Quaich road out of Kenmore once.

... but today, I have to say that my commute into work made me ridiculously happy. It's 20 miles of rural Scotland with views of the southern edge of the highlands, the wind was behind me - but most of all it was the first commute since my hip op, and it's just a joy to be out and riding.
  • fiverears
    fiverears Posts: 38
    There's no such thing as a nice ride in the UK. if it's not potholes it's angry motorists.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    fiverears said:

There's no such thing as a nice ride in the UK. if it's not potholes it's angry motorists.

Oh there is if you're lucky enough to live outside of cities. There are 1000s of miles of quiet lanes where you're barely likely to see a few cars during a ride anyway. When there's no traffic potholes are easy to miss. Of course, people do choose to ride on A-roads and busier B-roads in the same areas which is quite weird.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Depends on the spec regarding loop/out & back, time and weather.
    High probability of good weather 1/2 day out & back then Formentor lighthouse. Although Luz Ardiden is a harder alternative.
    High probability of good weather 1/2 day loop then Pollensa, Selva, Sabatia return.
    High probability of good weather full day then Pollensa, Soller, Valdemossa, Bunyola, Orient return.
    Dismiss weather full day then Pitlochry, Rannoch, Ben Lawers, Killin, Kenmore, Glen Quaich, Aberfeldy, Logierait return.

A whole load of others but that’s a good 4 for starters.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    edited July 2020
    For me it has to the Tourmalet up from Luz St Sauveur and taking the diversion onto the old original route called Voie Laurent Fignon above Bareges which is now only open to cyclists. This is the route Mike Cotty rides in the Col Collective ride thecolcollective.com/col-collection/col/col-du-tourmalet
    I did this three years ago on my 70th birthday so it was special to me and a ride I'll never forget. It's become even more poignant as I rode with a lovely lady, Katie, who a few months later was diagnosed with a brain tumour and subsequently died a few months after that.
    So, I look back on this ride with special memories... a beautiful day in wonderful surroundings, a sort of sense of achievement, ridden with a lovely lady who is no longer with us... so some sadness as well.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • As We now live in Spain there are many routes near us (south eastern Spain) and you cannot go far without finding roads that go up..! My favourite is about 85km. From my house to Pinoso, Jumilla, Casablanca - a tiny hamlet with a great cafe for coffee and toast - where we start the climb. Only averages 3-4% but is 19.3km long to La Zarza, to Pinoso and home. Got everything, rugged scenery, decent roads, very little traffic and good mates to ride with.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Newport Shropshire to Church Stretton, epic countryside, quiet & well surfaced roads and a choice of decent cafes. Lots of options to add bits if the mood takes you.

Newport Shropshire to Lake Vyrnwy, the same as above except on a much larger scale in all aspects.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    I'm a city rider predominantly, so for me anywhere without tram tracks is a delight.
    Nottingham can f*ck off!!

Beyond that the Outer Hebrides is both stunning scenery and quiet roads. As long as it's not a raging gale there's nowhere I'd rather be on a bike.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    For me right now with a 13 month old and working from home (read spending more time than I should at the desk) literally ANY ride.

12 months prior to Feb 2020 I clocked in 123 rides on strava not counting commuting , in the last 10 months I have ridden my bike 13 times - so ANY chance to get out is amazing for me.

I still cannot believe how much time and energy a baby takes up
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    mr_eddy said:

I still cannot believe how much time and energy a baby takes up

LOL, try having twins!

On topic, any ride just now would be wonderful. Even on the turbo. Still trying to recover from you-know-what.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Ditto. Have a 21 month old was getting to a stage where maybe I could get out a bit more, but then we've got number 2 (unexpectedly) coming in about 4 weeks.

Back to square one
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    elbowloh said:

Ditto. Have a 21 month old was getting to a stage where maybe I could get out a bit more, but then we've got number 2 (unexpectedly) coming in about 4 weeks.

Back to square one

In some ways, that's harder than twins! Good luck.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    This: https://www.komoot.com/tour/258244252?ref=wtd

Only 50km, but soooo nice.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    My all time favourite ride was the Stelvio from Bormio, maybe because I had tried to do it two years earlier, only for the pass to close a third of the way up due to snow...at the end of August! I'd been thinking about it a couple of years prior to this too, so when I finally got to ride it, I had very high hopes, and it lived up to every one of them! It was on Stilsferjoch, when they close the roads to traffic at 8 am. I had a long drive to do after the climb, so started around 6 am, when it was 6 degrees. I had dressed for summer thinking it would warm up, but it didn't really, coming back down was 40 minutes of the coldest ride I have ever done but I was on such a high, I didn't care.
    I think I was about the third person to reach the top on the day, and saw the start of the masses as they were coming up, Some of them gave me strange looks, they couldn't believe I was coming back down! By the time I got back to Bormio the roads were jammed with riders, runners and cross country skiers.
    Locally, I am lucky enough to have a choice of quiet country lanes or the South Downs for my commutes. Good for the soul!