Internal cable routing

Hi.

Can an internal cable routing system, like FSA ACR, be used on any road bike frame for cable operated gears and brakes?

Cheers

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I would imagine the frame has to be internal routing compatible. Otherwise, how would the cable exit the frame for the rear brake etc?

The FSA system appears to be compatible with mechanical and hydraulic systems... https://gravelcyclist.com/videos/tech-fsas-acr-aero-cable-routing-system-its-not-just-for-road-bikes/

PP
  • Hi

I meant for bikes that have internal cables that start at the downtube for the gears and the toptube for the rear brake
  • baroid said:

Hi.

Can an internal cable routing system, like FSA ACR, be used on any road bike frame for cable operated gears and brakes?

Cheers

No. There have to be certain tube dimensions and aperture sizes.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Also to add, they from what I can understand require a 1.5" straight steerer tube, the headset that goes in is actually for a tapered fork just theres spacing in the front to accommodate cables. I did look into this myself for a new build an all seem to come back with the same.

In theory you can do it with a standard steerer you would need a cutout handlebars to route the cables into the stem in from fork steerer where the cables come in from the stem, a hollow headset plug and a cutout below in the fork for the cables to enter the frame, this would though impart weakness into the fork as you have two slot holes in the steerer tube one being quite wide in the fork, so without proper strengthening your likely to loose a few teeth.

Can be made easier with say SRAM Etap so you have two less cables to worry over, rear brake cable is not too bad the front would be tricky.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    speaking as someone who has the "pleasure" of routing cables and hoses through bars and frames I would say this sort of system is a massive PIA and not worth the hassle and not inconsiderable charge to install it.

looks cool though.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    david37 said:

speaking as someone who has the "pleasure" of routing cables and hoses through bars and frames I would say this sort of system is a massive PIA and not worth the hassle and not inconsiderable charge to install it.

looks cool though.

Depends though, I built up a few semi integrated ones you just have to change your build process slightly so you add the cable outers first and just leave them longer than you want. You just end up with a load of cable poking out the stem/bar for a while.
    The real PIA is when they overlap an you have to strip it down to untangle them.
  • baroid
    baroid Posts: 87
    Hi.

Thanks for the replies but sounds like too much trouble just to make the bike look less cluttered. However might get it, or something similar on my new bike.