Cassette onto new wheel - should I have more parts?

Hi all

I've bought a new wheel and cassette (it's a spare for going on a turbo).

I think I need another bit... but am I just being daft? My existing wheel has extra bolts on it.

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Don’t think so.

Your new cassette should just go straight onto the freehub which is under the white stuff on the 3rd pic.

Just make sure whether you need a spacer or not first.

I’m guessing as the cassette is brand new it comes with a lockring although it’s not immediately obvious from the pic.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Where are the extra bolts on the existing wheel?
  • Thanks, I appreciate this is basic stuff so I'm grateful for your patience.

I tinkered then came back and was reassured I'd sussed it out correctly.

My last issue now is, cog 2 moves, and I don't think it should. Not much, but it juggles if you touch it.

The biggest 7 cogs are one piece, the last two are loose single units. When I tighten the ring the second smallest continues to jiggle, presumably it shouldn't! (?)

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    No it shouldn’t move but you can’t have put it on wrong as it will only go on 1 way.

Tighten down the lockring & see if it still does.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I think from the image that's a 9 speed cassette. If that's a relatively new wheel which supports 11 speed cassettes, you'll need a spacer behind it to take up the space and allow the locking to tighten.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    What akh said sounds right. I think the last 2 are the right way round, just check the gap between each cog is the same.