Wednesday is looking wild

'Ning

Day off, going to the zoo. Just in time before lockdown.

Looking wet later so might be zwift time.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    'ning

temperature heading back to nippy

ride, cafes, wfh, do some hols research
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited September 2020
    Morning, clear skies at the moment, dog walked, Alpen for breakfast, no work today, so cycling for me before the predicted deluge.
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Work stuff than a run and chilled night if I can sort the new Wi-Fi network to a level that keeps teenage kids happy 🙄
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Another day of WFH, at least it will be if my laptop would connect to the poxy system at work. So chilling unexpectedly for now.
    Wednesday so pub later
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Mornin' All,

Bit of a lie in had. Looks like we got out of Liverpool in good time before they lock it down. Got a day off to sort stuff out but may do a half day and take the other half sometime soon when I feel like it and when the work rush is over.

No lectures for junior this week and next week is just the intro week and foundation stuff so I guess they'll be partying even if they get locked in soon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    tlw1 said:

Work stuff than a run and chilled night if I can sort the new Wi-Fi network to a level that keeps teenage kids happy 🙄

I have Virgin's fastest fibre package. We get up to 370mbps at the router. I then have Google nest wifi to spread it round the house. You have one "router" unit wired to your provider's router (switched to modem mode), then you just plug in the rest round the house. All very user friendly, and the app means you can pause individual devices or set a schedule for the kids etc. It works well, and gets a battering.

Though it sounds like you already have a network, rather than asking for advice.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited September 2020
    'ning!

More WFH, AiP sorted, it's nippy here. But bright.

Bar tape and new brakes ordered for the winter bike - will fit those tomorrow along with the new tyres. I might also see if my other wheels (lovely handbuilt Ambrosio) currently fitted with Spesh Roubaix 25/28s will fit in the frame. Might be tight under the front brake caliper (Dolan Preffisio known tight spot!)

Did a Sufferfest last night - first targetted training in ages - and it cleaned my clock!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    hopkinb said:

tlw1 said:

I have Virgin's fastest fibre package. We get up to 370mbps at the router. I then have Google nest wifi to spread it round the house. You have one "router" unit wired to your provider's router (switched to modem mode), then you just plug in the rest round the house. All very user friendly, and the app means you can pause individual devices or set a schedule for the kids etc. It works well, and gets a battering.

Though it sounds like you already have a network, rather than asking for advice.
    I swapped to Vodafone Gigafast when they plugged it in locally, limiting factor is my homeplug and existing home cabling so it maxes to around 800Mbps, can pip to over 1200 on WiFi if your near it now its full FTTP.
    Nest WiFi is handy for that, some routers will allow you to set the channels an sometimes actual ports on the router to allow different things, worth checking I know a couple have apps you can use to control access through, can't recall which provider that was though. If you do I think it splits some of your traffic across two bands, so need to make sure that the devices can see both frequencies and also that any SSID's are actually hidden, don't want randoms trying to hook in.

Grey day again in Heckshire, chilly 13c an a bit of fog rolled down the hill this morning to spice up the morning pedal.
    Logging going on still in the woods so lots of bits closed an some honking great logs lying around. Did manage to get the mudguards on, quite handy with the rather damp roads just need to fashion an end flap on each to keep any spray right down.

Anyway, onward to mediocrity!
  • veronese68
    Think we need to change broadband provider, we're on the fastest Virgin package but it's not as fast as claimed. I've been told it's whatever they claim up to the junction box in the street but then it gets split into several houses, so if all your neighbours are on Virgin you only get full speed at 3am. With lots of people wfh it's a bit of a shitshow.
    Problem is I find it so dull I CBA to do anything about it.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    are g.network in your area yet?

they're slowly digging up every street in london, sometimes twice, to run the fibre

900meg symmetric is 48/month on a two-year contract

i've been thinking of getting it to run in parallel (load balanced) with virgin for a while, wfh so much now it is really disruptive every time virgin have a hiccup, if it turns out reliable i'd drop virgin
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    sungod said:

Not yet, looks interesting though.
  • veronese68
    I think Ben and I have been well and truly Trumped by DHL, well done m'lord :D
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Well and truly!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

I think Ben and I have been well and truly Trumped by DHL, well done m'lord :D

Eh? What did I miss?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Check the Trump thread.
  • thistle_
    sungod said:

they're slowly digging up every street in london, sometimes twice, to run the fibre

900meg symmetric is 48/month on a two-year contract

i've been thinking of getting it to run in parallel (load balanced) with virgin for a while, wfh so much now it is really disruptive every time virgin have a hiccup, if it turns out reliable i'd drop virgin

Virgin has made it to the big town (the wires have been put in twice but apparently the speed/service is terrible). Just about got fttc here.

Download speed is ok for WFH but could do with something a bit more symmetric. It's a shame you can't get a second phone line and run the fibre with the upload/download speeds reversed then bond the two together.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Mmmm. Not quite sure why peeps need 800mbps. I have a basic virgin media deal with 50mbps and works fine, bar the once twice there has been a service outage in past 4 months. Maybe the Illuminati need loads of capacity to control the sheeples? Or summat.
  • thistle_
    I was happy with 3 Mbps until we got fttc a year ago and went up to 40 mbps which is plenty (uploads are a bit painful)
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Streaming uhd TV, work video calls, ps4, mini watching YouTube, downloading "stuff", streaming music. All can be happening at the same time. All works with no buffering. It's the number of users and devices here. Otherwise wouldn't be needed.