Giant conduct brakes - how to adjust cable

adamangler
adamangler Posts: 35
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Does anyone know how to adjust the cable tension on the hybrid giant conduct brakes ?

I have a manual that came with the bike which says undo a screw, well ive undone a lot of screws and nothing happens...
all i want to do it tighten the cable to reduce lever travel....there must be a way although it all seems impossible at this stage :?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The screw holding the end of the cable?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    With a hydraulic braking system I'd really advise NOT undoing screws of which you are not sure of their function.

If you are that inept then take it to your LBS for adjustment. Please.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• As above it sounds like you’d be better taking it to you LBS. However the answer is that there where the cable EXITS the master cylinder there is a round bobbin through which the cable passes. If you look very carefully this bobbin has a grub screw. This just needs backing off about half a turn or so then you’ll be able to pull the excess cable through the bobbin then tighten the grub screw.

Unless you are competent, take it to your LBS. They might not even charge you for such a simple adjustment.
  • Thanks I've figured it out.

The grub screw is not visible unless you knew it was there as it is inside the housing.

It's not until you look really close there's a slight cut out and the solution is to turn the "bobbin" as you called it 180 degrees then the screw becomes accessable.

Cheers
  • PhotoNic69 wrote:
    With a hydraulic braking system I'd really advise NOT undoing screws of which you are not sure of their function.

If you are that inept then take it to your LBS for adjustment. Please.

It's not about being inept, it's a system I've not come across before thats all and it's not obvious how it works.....I'm more than capable of working on bikes I worked in a bike shop for 2 years and am a trained mechanic but thanks smart arse.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, the conduct is designed so it's almost impossible to break the hydraulics by overtightening the cables.

Nice system although there is quite a lot of lever travel, on my old tiagra 4600 anyway - situation probably better with newer Shimano levers.
  • Unless you are competent, take it to your LBS. They might not even charge you for such a simple adjustment.

For clarity, as has been pointed out by TimothyW, the lever travel ratio isn't quite perfect with this system. As a result there is very little left over travel between the full brake bite point and the back of the levers hitting the handlebars.

Not knowing you from Adam, my safety concern would be if the bobbin wasn't properly re-tightened and slipped along the cable whilst you were braking. The lever would hit the bars without any effective braking force being applied.

However, it sounds like you've got this properly sorted. Nice one.
  • Hi, I have the same problem with the travel of the brake levers. I have turned the thumb screw to reveal the grub screw but only half is visible. Any tips on how you get to the whole grub screw in order to adjust the cables please?
  • joovie
    joovie Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

Hi, I have the same problem with the travel of the brake levers. I have turned the thumb screw to reveal the grub screw but only half is visible. Any tips on how you get to the whole grub screw in order to adjust the cables please?

I got the same problem. Any success in your case?