Tacx Vortex

Hi all. I recently bought my first road bike and am loving it. Want to get set up with an indoor trainer for over the winter period and someone is selling a Tacx Vortex in good condition for £280.

What are peoples thoughts on this for someone wanting to use it exclusively with zwift and who is a beginner cyclist? Would I also be able to fit a MTB on it too if my wife wanted to use it also?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Stefan

Comments

• Yes, the Vortex will work well with Zwift, obviously with limited accuracy and slope compared with a more expensive trainer. Just got one for £200 of Gumtree for my daughter
  • Does the resistance change automatically when there is an incline change on zwift? Or is that only with the mounted wheel off types?
  • Nope, resistance is the same as a wheel off turbo. When you get to a climb things get tougher. The Vortex Smart is a solid wee turbo that works seamlessly with Zwift via ANT+ or Bluetooth,
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    They're a good starter turbo just be wary that they do have a tendency to over estimate your power output
  • Stefan_320
    Stefan_320 Posts: 5
    edited September 2020
    Sorry just to clarify. You're saying that when incline changes on zwift it doesn't alter the resistance of the bike?

I understand that with wheel off setups it does change automatically making for a more immersive experience, just trying to find out if the Tacx Vortex resistance remains at a constant. Sorry if I didn't understand your answer!
  • Yes, the Vortex Smart acts the same as a wheel off trainer when using Zwift.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    edited September 2020
    Review of the Vortex Smart: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/training/indoor-trainers/tacx-vortex-smart-review/

It's definitely the Vortex Smart you're looking at? I'm not sure if there was ever a dumb version of the Vortex produced (which would not automatically adjust resistance)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    They are ok for a wheel on trainer, but over read by circa 10%, so if you use power out on the road, be aware of that disparity.

I bought mine new in 2016 for £227!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

It's definitely the Vortex Smart you're looking at? I'm not sure if there was ever a dumb version of the Vortex produced (which would not automatically adjust resistance)

I think you are right. It was the Tacx Satori Smart that didn't adjust resistance.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme