tuesday in a vorticist manner

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited September 2020 in The bottom bracket
'ning

temperature seems to have crept up a bit, back to jersey and gilet, looking gloomy though, oh, just noticed it's soggy, that wasn't in the forecast

ride if it dries, cafes, due to administer some gmc correction later (not one of mine, helping someone out), rather do it in person without witnesses, but hr would have the vapours, hey ho, that'll get me to elevenses

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Morning, milder and damp ,it looks like the winter bike will be making an appearance today, a few little jobs to do later
    Have a good day
  • sungod
    time for a squelch to a cafe, where the only drizzle is lemony and involves cake
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Hounds walked and training done before work as later we are out for my brothers 50th - but due to COVID stuff, the kids are going to his house for a takeaway and then we can meet up with the parents for a meal out and comply with the law
  • Survived yesterdays visit to uni without meeting the zombi hoards.
    Email catch last hour or so and will probably go for a quick spin around the block on my unfashionably stealth black bike. Rest of the day will be assembling random slides for a talk on UN Sustainable Development Goals and looking at project proposals.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    'ning

Got the flexible work sorted - starting informally/locally to start and then will formalise if it works!

Meetings nearly all day - might find time for actual work...

Damp here - might be time to tidy up the winter bike from its summer turbo duties. Got some GP5000s for it - the current 4000s have seen better days!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tlw1
    Great news Ben - hope it makes a difference
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    edited September 2020
    It's the long slog to Scouseville very shortly - worst of traffic should be clearing up about now. Decided to do a day trip rather than stay over, so back late this evening.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ben6899 said:

'ning

Got the flexible work sorted - starting informally/locally to start and then will formalise if it works!

Damp here - might be time to tidy up the winter bike from its summer turbo duties. Got some GP5000s for it - the current 4000s have seen better days!

Result!

My experience with Michelin tyres on a turbo has not been good. I've some older Pro3 or Pro4 or something, which went on brand new, done less than 1000 km and the rear looks shot to bits. Not impressed at all.

Second last day at job. Testing a new device they want to deploy into the warehouse... another one that I'm glad I won't be around to support. Tomorrow will finish the tests in the morning, hand back the laptop and run out the door. Not often I look forward to a 4 hour drive to get home, but tomorrow will be a good one. If you crossed The Muppet Show with The Dilbert Zone you'd get this company.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Sunny here but moist underfoot which is going to reflect most mornings from now on. I might stock up on some coal later for the stove.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Ben6899
    tlw1 said:

Great news Ben - hope it makes a difference

Thank you!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    edited September 2020

Ben6899 said:

'ning

Result!

My experience with Michelin tyres on a turbo has not been good. I've some older Pro3 or Pro4 or something, which went on brand new, done less than 1000 km and the rear looks shot to bits. Not impressed at all.

Second last day at job. Testing a new device they want to deploy into the warehouse... another one that I'm glad I won't be around to support. Tomorrow will finish the tests in the morning, hand back the laptop and run out the door. Not often I look forward to a 4 hour drive to get home, but tomorrow will be a good one. If you crossed The Muppet Show with The Dilbert Zone you'd get this company.

Ah my turbo is Direct Drive, it's just these tyres should have been changed earlier, regardless! :smiley:

Perfect! (Love Dilbert - the "Knack" sketch I can relate to in so many ways)

Enjoy the drive home and the subsequent shed time.
    Ben

• sungod
    Stevo_666 said:

It's the long slog to Scouseville very shortly - worst of traffic should be clearing up about now. Decided to do a day trip rather than stay over, so back late this evening.

you'll have to go into quarantine when you get back
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'ning
    Glorious day here. Big temperature inversion filling the valley with cloud first thing but my ride went up above it. All cleared now and clear blue skies :sunglasses:
    Shame I'm off tomorrow when the forecast is terrible.
    Ben6899 said:

'ning

I've suggested going part time but it hasn't been received too well.
    Someone kindly volunteered me for some work because they heard I was on furlough last month.

• Ben6899

I've suggested going part time but it hasn't been received too well.
    Someone kindly volunteered me for some work because they heard I was on furlough last month.

Stick at it, keep asking. :smile:
    Ben

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Afternoon, dank depths of Heckshire, mudguards and what not required for todays riding, chilly 12c so a light jacket needed for certain.
    Very much a Tuesday vibe occurring.
  • Off to see Onward at the pictures in about ten minutes, wish me luck...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited September 2020
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Especially if he grows a moustache, shell suit and finds a pile of car stereos on the back seat.

• Stevo_666
    edited September 2020
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm currently distancing from arriving students while keeping an eye on my car, for which I'm paying myself a fiver.

Stropteen is carting her copious belongings up to her room in the meantime.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Especially if he grows a moustache, shell suit and finds a pile of car stereos on the back seat.

As long as I escape with my own stereo in place, no probs. Made sure I avoided the Toxteth turning about a mile before the uni.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Evening folks,
    Another busy day of wfh. Only manafed one of the two things I had planned, but did lots of other stuff that jumped in to take it's place. Now keeping an eye on nervous female child as she cooks. Lad is much betterer at that kind of thing.
    Stevo_666 said:

Decided to do a day trip rather than stay over to make sure I still had a car, so back late this evening.

Filled in the bit you missed, #stereotypesRus
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Unexpected local lockdown here from Thursday afternoon #notimpressed
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Big day for you Stevo! (and stropteen and stressbag too) I'm sure there'll be a little tear shed, even if just inside, at your girl growing up and taking the next step in life.

Me, I went to work. Did a presentation raahnd the world on the webex. Got stuff signed. I do prefer working at work. Supported my favourite purveyor of burritos.
  • hopkinb
    I looked up vorticism, thinking it had something to do with one of sg's normal preoccupations, namely physics/mathematics. Pleasantly surprised to see its an early 20th century modernist artistic movement. I quite like it, from a quick scan on the Internet.

Now, my MiL's partner is mates with a Russian artist called Oleg Kudryashov, and has a couple of large originals in the stairwell at their house. The black outlines and bold colours seem reminiscent of that vorticist style, though Oleg's work is more abstract.

Do we add modernist art of the early 20th century to sg's interests? Along with reggae, Greek myth, Egyptology, the aforementioned hard sums and the Vietnam war?
  • hopkinb
    edited September 2020
    Oh and sunshine, tabbies, cafés, riding far/up and down, tawny port and bubbly.
  • hopkinb
    And those sweets. Orangettes.
  • hopkinb
    How could I forget!
  • Stevo_666

Evening folks,
    Another busy day of wfh. Only manafed one of the two things I had planned, but did lots of other stuff that jumped in to take it's place. Now keeping an eye on nervous female child as she cooks. Lad is much betterer at that kind of thing.

Stevo_666 said:

Decided to do a day trip rather than stay over to make sure I still had a car, so back late this evening.

Filled in the bit you missed, #stereotypesRus
    TBH it was 'er indoors who decided she didn't want to stay as she wouldn't get to see junior in the morning. I had sorted out a shortlist of hotels with secure on-site parking.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Big day for you Stevo! (and stropteen and stressbag too) I'm sure there'll be a little tear shed, even if just inside, at your girl growing up and taking the next step in life.

Me, I went to work. Did a presentation raahnd the world on the webex. Got stuff signed. I do prefer working at work. Supported my favourite purveyor of burritos.

Aye, that is true H3. SB had a bit of a 'sniffle' on the M62. Sad to see her go but she was clearly happy to be there and raring to meet people, so we left with a good vibe.

We'll head up there mid term for a weekend break and do a bit of touristy stuff with our new City guide.
  • tlw1

Unexpected local lockdown here from Thursday afternoon #notimpressed

That’s crap