Replacement Dropper Trigger (Brand X II)

Hi - I have a Brand X II dropper (external cable routing) and need a new trigger. I see lots of chat on the internet about this but tends to be for the internal routes cable model.

Can any recommend a compatible trigger?

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2020
    Internal or external dropper post use the same levers and there isn't any difference.

Only hydraulic actuated dropper post levers aren't compatible.

As long as you choose a cable actuated lever that attaches to the same end of the cable, i.e. top down or bottom up routing.

This link explains which ones will be suitable as a replacement and give you some of the best options to choose from:-

https://www.mbr.co.uk/how-to-2/mix-dropper-remote-lever-378762
  • This may be basic but for my dropper, the cable head (fat metal cable end) is attached to the post and the cable routes through the trigger and is held in place by tightening a screw - is that top down or bottom up?

My main issue is the trigger doesn’t recoil so I have to push down and lift up with my thumb.
  • So I’ve figured it it’s bottom up but no recommendations on a compatible trigger?
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    Further down the article is a list of around 15 various priced levers available, anything with A-No or B-yes will work for you.

Having said that the problem isn't the lever anyway, could be dirt or grime build up inside shift cable or the actuator on the dropper itself?
  • danx
    danx Posts: 27
    I use this one, but it's out of stock at the moment. Maybe put a stock alert on it?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/brand-x-ascend-lever-kit-1x-gears-/rp-prod149026
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited September 2020
    If the lever isn't returning then I'd say it's a cable problem and either the cable has slipped through the grub screw in the lever or the inner is sticking in the outer. Check the cable tension first and if that is ok then replace the cable and see how it is then.

Edit: Just had a thought - the lever clamp hasn't moved so the lever is now hard up against the end of the handlebar grip or the brake or gear mount, has it?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA - thank you. It’s brand new and advice was conflicting about whether I needed to add cable grease so I didn’t - maybe I should have??

I’ve found some Shimano cable grease which I’ll buy and try out to see if that works.

I rode yesterday and just had to flick the switch both ways - not perfect but workable.
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    🤔 Would have saved going around the houses with a more accurate title and explaining the situation in the first place instead of looking for a replacement lever for a newly installed dropper post. 🤣😂
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited September 2020
    If it’s brand new the cable shouldn’t need greasing.
    If you lower the saddle does it stay down if you don’t flick the lever back up? If it does then your cable tension is the problem.
    Is the dropper new or the whole bike?

Any chance you could post a few photos of the lever from diferent angles? They may help with a diagnosis.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • @clark.joe84 Why are you looking for a replacement anything when the object is brand new? If it doesn't work take it back!