Down country bikes

Hi
I've really enjoyed my 120mm travel, 29er Specialized Camber for the last 5 years but over this time trail bikes have got longer, slacker and longer in travel. My bike got good reviews in 2016 but in 2017 the ratings started to slide due to old style geometry- head angle of 68.5 was way too steep, stem too long and reach a bit short. My bike was already out of date...................

I would describe my riding as mostly XC with some trail visits to Stainburn as part of my usual 30 mile loop in North Yorks or an odd trip to Gizburn etc...

I think this is what people are now describing as 'Downcountry'. Looking at possible replacements for the camber which are based on XC bikes with a bit more travel, burlier tyres...... 'Downcountry bikes', the geometry stats aren't that far away from my out of date trail bike and I almost think things have gone full circle and my bike is not so much an out dated trail bike but a reasonable 'Downcountry' bike. Yes the reach is a bit short by about 8 mm but it's not a deal breaker.

Over time I've updated the 1 x drive train and stem, gone tubeless etc and actually I like by bike again now it's a 'Downcountry ' bike!

Anyone feel the same .........

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If the bike does what you want it to do then why change? It sounds like you were ahead of the curve when it comes to 'downcountry'. :)
    You could make up that 8mm reach difference by rolling the handle bar forward a bit.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009