'ning

smidge less cold, but cloudy cloudy

long ride, cafes, laze
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    Chilly and grey here.

Shipping the hounds off in a bit for a 3 day holiday while we get the final prep for uni and the Liverpool drop off sorted. I'm trying to stay out of most of the pre-trip faffing. Run later then a dinner out with Stropteen to wish her good luck at the COVID academy of Liverpool.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    windier ride than yesterday, combined with the lack of sun it actually felt colder

time for stroll to cafe
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Afternoon folks, but only just.
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, now got lots of odd jobs, pottering and housework to do. Feels decidedly autumnal to say the least.
  • After a series of shite days, today ended up being avec soleil for the afternoon, even if I spent it driving to the other end of the island for work this week. About a 4 hour drive, by the end of which I was in need of a drink and/or a chiropractor. Picked Option 1 over dinner, then came back to roll around floor on one of those pointy foam roller things.

Result! More cracks than a plumber's convention, and my neck feels a 1000% better.

Three days of this omnishambles to get through and it's back to retirement for me.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    edited September 2020
    sungod said:

windier ride than yesterday, combined with the lack of sun it actually felt colder

time for stroll to cafe

Wind has dropped considerably here today to the point that I'm concerned the washing won't dry despite the sunshine.
    Went for a chilly but gorgeous bike ride first thing. Glad I had my base layer and winter gloves instead of the thin skimpy outfits I normally wear.
    Average power was well down, but Strava said I was putting in more effort than normal.

Local council seem to have found some tarmac fallen off a lorry and are resurfacing some roads. One bit of new tarmac is nearly as bumpy as the old :neutral: the next bit didn't really need doing but not going to say no to smooth roads :confused: but the really nasty 500m of potholes and gravel isn't getting done :disappointed: #councillogic

Might also go for a stroll to a cafe while the sun is still out.
  • thistle_
    Has anyone bought anything from mantel.com?

They keep coming up in search results for stuff I'm looking for but slightly cheaper than the usual stockists.

Seem to be based abroad.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547

They keep coming up in search results for stuff I'm looking for but slightly cheaper than the usual stockists.

Seem to be based abroad.

they're in netherlands, been around quite a while

i've bough several things from them, all ok
  • Has anyone bought anything from mantel.com?

Seem to be based abroad.

Yes, they’re in Arnhem Holland, a big shop. At least they started there, they have a couple of other shops in other cities too. Also they have a web presence in many European countries now.
    I've always found them good and helpful when over there, I'd like to think they’re as good on the web but have no experience thus far
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Wow, great final lap there. And a Frenchie has actually won something!

Better now try to move my aching legs before they seize up totally. That was a hard ride earlier, at one point the headwind was so strong I could barely get above 10kph.
  • Afternoon all. Testing software all morning then mowing the lawn while watching WC road race in the afternoon. Finally put some new cleats on the shoes. Lovely day to sit in the garden just below the kitchen window sight line.
  • thistle_
    oxoman said:

Thistle at least it's tarmac that's laid and not blown in off one of these machines. Been up th peak district a few time and witnessed the damage and debris left after road repairs.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/e4BuMl1uy1U/maxresdefault.jpg

There's plenty of that shite around too: let's fix the potholes by making it worse than it was with the potholes.

Those jet patching things are only intended for temporary repairs to small, sharp edged deep holes.
  • thistle_
    sungod said:

Seem to be based abroad.

they're in netherlands, been around quite a while

i've bough several things from them, all ok
    Thanks, I'll add to my list vendors pending approval :smile:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    Nice day starting with fun bike then family time followed by pub time
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Did the ride. Ditchling beacon was not so much fun, but at least I was first up, lovely fish and chips in Brighton at the Regency. I contemplated the ride back, but I don't have the kms in the legs to cope with 80km into a block headwind on the homeward leg.

Got a couple of kilos of home grown tomatoes and a head of garlic from my neighbour, so made some pasta sauce for the freezer. Gorgeous ripe tomatoes that cooked down into a tangy rich sauce, all it cost me.was 2 onions a glass of white wine, seasoning and some bay and thyme from the garden. Some of the best olive oil to dress before serving.
  • hopkinb said:

Did the ride. Ditchling beacon was not so much fun, but at least I was first up, lovely fish and chips in Brighton at the Regency. I contemplated the ride back, but I don't have the kms in the legs to cope with 80km into a block headwind on the homeward leg.

Got a couple of kilos of home grown tomatoes and a head of garlic from my neighbour, so made some pasta sauce for the freezer. Gorgeous ripe tomatoes that cooked down into a tangy rich sauce, all it cost me.was 2 onions a glass of white wine, seasoning and some bay and thyme from the garden. Some of the best olive oil to dress before serving.

Ah, they're calling homegrown "tomatoes " now are they?
  • hopkinb

• hopkinb
    Definitely tomatoes, no weed.