4iiii Fliiiight - having issues getting it working, anyone have one?

Hi all

Does anyone have one of the above? We’ve tried two bikes on ours so far and both have had (different) issues, just wanting a chat with someone who can tell me what should and shouldn’t be happening.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ok so this board is less active than I expected so I'll put my issue now to save time:

We bought a 4iiii Fliiiight from Wiggle. First thing to mention is even though it was meant to be new, it had quite clearly already been unpacked once. That may be relevant or not.

We put a Carerra Vanquish (a year or so old) on it and it did it's little dance, closed on the wheel, then the right (As you look from the back) magnet moved away and the left stayed where it was.

Tried to pedal and it is nigh on impossible, and makes a horrid scraping noise when the wheel does move.

Ok, we thought maybe an unsuitable wheel, Googled and were advised to try a fridge magnet on the wheel - no effect, which I'm told is a good sign.

We then tried a Carerra TDF edition from about 4 years back on it. This time both magnets move away (right a cm or so, left a couple of mm). So the wheel spins when you pedal, but after 5 seconds the left magnet suddenly moves against the wheel and, again, treacle and grinding.

Dug out our old Boardman hybrid, same as for the TDF.

We have moved the wheel further right thinking maybe the left magnet was out of room to move, exact same result.

Wiggle just say send it back or don't, but given we struggled to find one and Wiggle took ages to send the one we did I'd rather fix it.

Emailed 4iiii but no response yet and no number we can find to call that isn't in Canada.

Any ideas?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,113
    Probably no replies because everyone is riding outside in the sunshine :sunglasses:

I don't have one but I was considering getting one. Yours definitely sounds broken.

Have you tried a firmware update on the trainer? Your issue sounds more mechanical/sensor related so I don't think it will fix it but it might (or at least it will detect a collision and back off so it doesn't hit the rim).

4iii support were reasonably prompt at getting back to me about a power meter, I'd give them until Tuesday to respond but they might just say it's borked and send it back.
  • Probably no replies because everyone is riding outside in the sunshine :sunglasses:

I don't have one but I was considering getting one. Yours definitely sounds broken.

Have you tried a firmware update on the trainer? Your issue sounds more mechanical/sensor related so I don't think it will fix it but it might (or at least it will detect a collision and back off so it doesn't hit the rim).

4iii support were reasonably prompt at getting back to me about a power meter, I'd give them until Tuesday to respond but they might just say it's borked and send it back.

Ta matey :)

And how dare people get fresh air and exercise when I have an issue that needs resolving! :)

So, exhaustive testing and trial and error has revealed:

Vanquish has steel rimmed tyres, hence constant magnetic contact. Carrera and Boardman have steel pin in wheel, hence no contact then suddenly contact.

So removed Vanquish tyre and... it also has a steel pin.

Tried it with a random wheel in shed, no pins or steel rims, better but still contacting wheel a lot (but not sticking to it, so suspect your sensor issue guess is correct.).

It's going back, we were unhappy it was clearly second hand but sold as first to start with, so we'll try some other seller.

Thanks for your help :)

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,113
    I had read about the pinned rim issue, although I though it just messed up the resistance rather than smashing into the side of the rim.
    I'd expect it to do it on both sides though, not just one. Unless there's only a pin on one side.