Bike for my kid

Hi everyone. Please help. My son is 6 years old. So, what kind of bike should I get for my little boy?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    We bought a Frog bike for my grandson last year for his fifth birthday. He’s ridden on the road and on the trails in Dalby Forrest and there is lot adjustment for him grow into a year on. Not cheap but well made and light.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    edited September 2020
    Tthe better quality bikes (as above) have good resale value too, providing you can find the right market to sell later on.
  • He will outgrow the bike before quality of build reveals itself. If I were 6 years old again I'd like something light that handles well and of course looks good.
  • arebbaloch1122ol8pwn9O
    edited December 2020
    You're close to a lot of very attractive options of cheap dirt bikes for kids at $300 (although you'll need to throw another hundred at it). Trying to find used had a similar experience and there's just not much quality stuff out there.

I went with a used Trek MT 60 with our tall 5-year-old and a 20-inch wheeled ride (also moving up from a hot rock 16), which I replaced the handlebars/stem/seatpost on and got the weight down. Just used parts I had in the shed and cut them down to size with a hack-saw as it is a 1 1/8 steer tube and 27.2 post. Similar 6-speed and linear pull requirements.

Still front suspension and not as light as I'd like, but I've been watching CL and eBay for 3 months like a hawk and I haven't had any luck...
    My Life My Style
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

He will outgrow the bike before quality of build reveals itself. If I were 6 years old again I'd like something light that handles well and of course looks good.

It's not that cheaper bikes fall apart - it's the fact that they tend to be heavy and designed poorly, which means that the fit is often not good.

Lightness is the most important thing.