Donald Trump

Comments

• In other news, the WH is saying that there's 'not enough time' to confirm a Trump nominee to the Supreme Court before the election, though I wouldn't put anything past McConnell.

I heard a stat yesterday that in an exit poll of Trump voters from 2016, 25% of them voted for Trump because they wanted more Conservative judges on the Supreme Court. Could this become a factor again this time?

Reports I heard today is that Trump is going to propose a woman for the position. I wonder if he will continue trolling the libs by proposing a non-white woman?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Re the voter lines - we see much the same every election.

I wouldn’t read much into it.

It could well be that in that particular state various gerrymandering has meant there are fewer polling stations or whatever the US equivalent is etc.

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Trump is re arranging the deckchairs on his personal Titanic.

The rest is mis misdirection away from the pandemic, the economy, the lies etc and the platform is the same fear driven agenda that even his base is starting to see through

The only question that remains is the political will to prosecute Trump and his cohort for any crimes committed pre, during or post Presidency.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Re the voter lines - we see much the same every election.

I wouldn’t read much into it.

It could well be that in that particular state various gerrymandering has meant there are fewer polling stations or whatever the US equivalent is etc.

It's to convince the dems it's in the bag so they dont come out on the day.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Does everyone over there obsess over Trump like the people who post here?

You should obsess more, I would say, Dennis. Unless you live off-grid in rural Alaska, you have skin in the game.
    Well, to be honest I simply have pretty much zero interest in politics. It's really hard to work up interest in something that bores you.
    So you are too bored to interact with something that affects virtually every area of daily life? I get being bored with politics but ultimately people need to take ownership for the decisions that affect them.
    Yes. Too bored to interact with politics. It's not a crime. I've watched presidents come and go for many years and have never noticed any real change in the big picture. To me they are all the same (vote for me and I'll set you free).
    I guess that there are about 200000 Americans who now can't disagree with you.

Surely the big picture would have been changed if the world hadn't been lucky enough for Gorbachev to have come to power and if Reagan and he hadn't got on on a personal level.

Surely the big picture has changed as a result of tensions with the middle East? Accidently conflating Bin Laden and Hussein does not seem to have helped.

How big does the picture have to be?
    Bigger than that. C'mon now, empires and their leaders come and go and yet the world still turns. Maybe these politicians and world leaders aren't as important as you seem to think.
    It's more that I only have one life and one career. Okay the world still revolves if Ghengis Khan or Napoleon wreaks havoc on a generation, but I'd think it would be a bit of a bummer if my generation was hit, you know? Perhaps you are Bhudist, I don't know.
    Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and their ilk have been wreaking havoc on people and the earth for untold centuries. I don't see it ending anytime soon, nor do I see politicians doing anything about it. After all why would they? They are the ones who cause it. Humans have yet to learn from their mistakes.
    Mmm. But I want to have fun. Not some bloke 30 years from now, because I'm unlucky enough to live at the time when a US president kisses Kim Yong Un's rings, thinks Putin is rather manly, but Justin Trudeau and Angela Merkel are communist. But in 30 years it will all have ironed itself out, for that other bloke, right?
    So go for the fun, who's stopping you?
    Dennis, I'm glad your life is so happy that you can genuinely (I assume) believe that nothing will make any difference to it.

For all the people who have had to live with uncertainty, poverty, oppression, war, disease, famine and the rest - i.e. 99% of people who have ever lived - your smugness and self-centredness would be quite offensive.
  • I know it's only trolling, but "Trump as president is not an interesting story" is quite the hot take.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

You should obsess more, I would say, Dennis. Unless you live off-grid in rural Alaska, you have skin in the game.
    Well, to be honest I simply have pretty much zero interest in politics. It's really hard to work up interest in something that bores you.
    So you are too bored to interact with something that affects virtually every area of daily life? I get being bored with politics but ultimately people need to take ownership for the decisions that affect them.
    Yes. Too bored to interact with politics. It's not a crime. I've watched presidents come and go for many years and have never noticed any real change in the big picture. To me they are all the same (vote for me and I'll set you free).

Surely the big picture would have been changed if the world hadn't been lucky enough for Gorbachev to have come to power and if Reagan and he hadn't got on on a personal level.

Surely the big picture has changed as a result of tensions with the middle East? Accidently conflating Bin Laden and Hussein does not seem to have helped.

Bigger than that. C'mon now, empires and their leaders come and go and yet the world still turns. Maybe these politicians and world leaders aren't as important as you seem to think.
    It's more that I only have one life and one career. Okay the world still revolves if Ghengis Khan or Napoleon wreaks havoc on a generation, but I'd think it would be a bit of a bummer if my generation was hit, you know? Perhaps you are Bhudist, I don't know.
    Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and their ilk have been wreaking havoc on people and the earth for untold centuries. I don't see it ending anytime soon, nor do I see politicians doing anything about it. After all why would they? They are the ones who cause it. Humans have yet to learn from their mistakes.
    Mmm. But I want to have fun. Not some bloke 30 years from now, because I'm unlucky enough to live at the time when a US president kisses Kim Yong Un's rings, thinks Putin is rather manly, but Justin Trudeau and Angela Merkel are communist. But in 30 years it will all have ironed itself out, for that other bloke, right?
    Dennis, I'm glad your life is so happy that you can genuinely (I assume) believe that nothing will make any difference to it.

For all the people who have had to live with uncertainty, poverty, oppression, war, disease, famine and the rest - i.e. 99% of people who have ever lived - your smugness and self-centredness would be quite offensive.
    We have a President with total disregard for climate issues. This impacts on so many things from Brazil's deforestation to the Californian fires to not putting pressure on China (nor India) with sufficient collective might that may have gained some momentum.

But i'm alright Jack. Look after number 1 and the world will keep turning, so it's okay.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • 200m people have died from Covid.

The slip-ups have started. This is going to be a long nervous six weeks for those so heavily invested in being anti-Trump.
  • Biden's an old man who will misspeak, it's true. He's just not a stupid narcissist who is willing to destroy everything for his own benefit. I think he has the advantage over Trump there.

Anyway, here is Trump mispronouncing his own name.

• I know it's only trolling, but "Trump as president is not an interesting story" is quite the hot take.

for the average Joe on the Brooklyn Omnibus i doubt much has changed in the last 4 years and I doubt much will change for him in the next 4 years whoever gets in.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

I know it's only trolling, but "Trump as president is not an interesting story" is quite the hot take.

I don't find him remotely interesting. Whether it is an interesting story depends on whether the testing of the checks and balances of the US constitution offers some intrigue or how the US managed to elect an orange dotard. Whilst the second bit is interesting in a way, democracies have always managed to elect oddballs. Anyway, overall, I don't find it a particularly interesting story, and that is not an attempt to troll.

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

So, what have you done, and of course are doing, for the 99% of the world you mention. These problems have existed for centuries, been bitched about for centuries and had politicians and their ilk promise solutions for centuries. Yet you still have faith in them. Sorry, but I don't share your sentiments. Add to that the fact that I can be as smug and self-centered as I please. Just like you can be as paranoid and scared as you wish. Neither are crimes. Although personally I'd rather be around happy people as opposed to the bitchers and moaners.
  • pinno
    edited September 2020
    dennisn said:

Just like you can be as paranoid and scared as you wish. Neither are crimes. Although personally I'd rather be around happy people as opposed to the bitchers and moaners.

We're not b1tching or moaning - we are observing a tw@t for a president. Aren't you embarrassed by him?!

So he has no impact on your life, your brethren or fellow Americans being say... shot for being black, having to move or die because their houses are burning down or you have no empathy for the detained illegal migrants who have their children removed from them?
    You have no concern because the Corona virus hasn't affected you or one of your relatives?
    So are in a geographical location where none of the above affects you adversely and therefore 'everything is fine'.
    You do not care that perhaps Trump was elected partly due to Russian interference in your 'democratic' system?
    You don't care that his lies affect people directly and indirectly?

You live in a bubble. How wonderful it must be.

Ignorance is bliss.
    However, having no compassion for other people nor a basic understanding of the world around you is worse.

• pinno said:

dennisn said:

Just like you can be as paranoid and scared as you wish. Neither are crimes. Although personally I'd rather be around happy people as opposed to the bitchers and moaners.

We're not b1tching or moaning - we are observing a tw@t for a president. Aren't you embarrassed by him?!

So he has no impact on your life, your brethren or fellow Americans being say... shot for being black, having to move or die because their houses are burning down or you have no empathy for the detained illegal migrants who have their children removed from them?
    You have no concern because the Corona virus hasn't affected you or one of your relatives?
    So are in a geographical location where none of the above affects you adversely and therefore 'everything is fine'.
    You do not care that perhaps Trump was elected partly due to Russian interference in your 'democratic' system?

Ignorance is bliss.
    However, having no compassion or understanding of the world around you is worse.

In the above you should swap Trump for Boris and see how much still applies.

I make it C19, Russia and lies and very few Tory voters know or care about any of those.

for the average Joe on the Brooklyn Omnibus i doubt much has changed in the last 4 years and I doubt much will change for him in the next 4 years whoever gets in.
    Big call to say nothing is different in new York from 4 years ago. :)
  • dennisn
    pinno said:

dennisn said:

Ignorance is bliss.
    However, having no compassion for other people nor a basic understanding of the world around you is worse.

You're not bitching and moaning????. Let's see. You've bitched about me, you've moaned about Trump, you're not happy about the black situation or illegal migrants. apparently the Russians are on your list too. You also mentioned Covid 19, so I'm pretty sure you've got some complaint there too. Anything else you DON'T want to complain and/or moan about???? You sound like an 85 year old guy who hasn't a good thing to say about anything.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

So, what have you done, and of course are doing, for the 99% of the world you mention. These problems have existed for centuries, been bitched about for centuries and had politicians and their ilk promise solutions for centuries. Yet you still have faith in them. Sorry, but I don't share your sentiments. Add to that the fact that I can be as smug and self-centered as I please. Just like you can be as paranoid and scared as you wish. Neither are crimes. Although personally I'd rather be around happy people as opposed to the bitchers and moaners.
    You're in the wrong forum then Dennis.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Voting, with some sort of care who you're voting for, is a start. The democratic institutions we have might be deeply flawed, and open to malign actors, but all the alternatives are worse.

As the oft-quoted quotation (attributed to Edmund Burke) goes: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
  • dennisn
    Stevo_666 said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

You're in the wrong forum then Dennis.
    I do believe you got that right Stevo_666
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I find it quite ironic that someone who seems to spend their whole life railing against minor technological progress doesn't think it's worth worrying about who makes the political decisions that can affect his country and large parts of the world beyond.
  • Pross said:

I find it quite ironic that someone who seems to spend their whole life railing against minor technological progress doesn't think it's worth worrying about who makes the political decisions that can affect his country and large parts of the world beyond.

You are probably being a bit harsh. Voter turnout in the US is very low (usually about 55%). The "I don't vote because they are as bad as each other" party is more popular than either the Republicans or the Democrats.
  • Thinking of going onto the football thread to complain that all they ever talk about on there is football.
  • pinno
    dennisn said:

pinno said:

dennisn said:

Ignorance is bliss.

You're not bitching and moaning????. Let's see. You've bitched about me, you've moaned about Trump, you're not happy about the black situation or illegal migrants. apparently the Russians are on your list too. You also mentioned Covid 19, so I'm pretty sure you've got some complaint there too. Anything else you DON'T want to complain and/or moan about???? You sound like an 85 year old guy who hasn't a good thing to say about anything.
    I put the questions (actual and rhetorical) towards you.
    You have failed to address any of them.
    Would you care to?
  • Pross

Pross said:

You are probably being a bit harsh. Voter turnout in the US is very low (usually about 55%). The "I don't vote because they are as bad as each other" party is more popular than either the Republicans or the Democrats.
    I've never understood why a country that size only has 2 parties. That said, the vast majority of the country is so conservative there probably isn't space for someone else to align themselves
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

I've never understood why a country that size only has 2 parties. That said, the vast majority of the country is so conservative there probably isn't space for someone else to align themselves

As we've seen, both parties seem to have their own 'wings' - Biden fought off the Sanders much radical faction, and the GOP has lurched to the right of the Tea Party faction, while the Never Trumpers (Lincoln Project) try to reclaim the GOP as the party of low tax and adherence to the Constitution and respect for laws & norms.

So it's kind of four parties, shoehorned into two. We've rather got the same here, but with the Lib Dems trying (and failing) to carve out a central niche that was vacated by both the Tories and Labour.
  • dennisn
    pinno said:

dennisn said:

pinno said:

dennisn said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Would you care to?
    Please repeat the questions.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    dennisn = botster v2.0
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dennisn said:

pinno said:

dennisn said:

pinno said:

dennisn said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Would you care to?
    Please repeat the questions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkYUDQCYGHA
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

dennisn = botster v2.0

I picture him more as Professor Proton in Big Bang Theory.
  • Maybe this piece is overdoing the similarities. Or maybe not.

https://gregolear.substack.com/p/psychopath-in-chief