Caleb Ewan's TdF 2020 groupset

Hello,

just one quick question: is Caleb Ewan riding custom Campagnolo H11 shifters?

I'm sure these are H11 but Ewan's thumb shifters make me wonder whether or not they are custom twaeked by Ewan/UAE mechanics himself or Campagnolo.

Is there somebody in the know? Thanks.

Comments

• Lotto Soudal are riding Super Record 12 EPS disc though it certainly looks like he was riding with H11 brake levers on the Stage 11 finishing photos though. The down shift lever looks longer than standard too which would make for easier shifting on the drops.

I find it hard to believe that he would be the only one riding 11 speed so I wonder whether it's a bit of a frankenstein shifter. 12 speed internals with H11 brake/bespoke levers?

Would be interesting to see if there are any better pictures.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Are Campag not testing 13 speed at this tour? I thought that'd been rumoured, could be the new version of them?
  • 50x11 said:

Are Campag not testing 13 speed at this tour? I thought that'd been rumoured, could be the new version of them?

Not sure - the issue is though that they have to bring whatever it is they are testing/riding to market within a certain time period; i think it's 6 months.

Maybe Caleb was just riding 11 speed. It would make for easier neutral service at least. There don't appear to be as many tour tech photos available this year unfortunately either.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited September 2020
    50x11 said:

Ekar is going to be a 13-speed 1 x system for gravel.
  • Apparently so, but no reason why it couldn't be brought into the road world as a 2x set up either. With greater number of rear cassette teeth comes bigger ratio jumps therefore it would have its use.

The issue with bringing it into the pro peleton when no other manufacturer has 13 speed is the fact that any team using it will struggle for neutral service.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Neutral service is becoming less useful with the advent of disc brakes, it's either a wheel or a fresh bike from your team car or one of the neutral service bikes. Another good reason for teams to resist moving from rim brakes.
  • 50x11

50x11 said:

I'm sure Cycling tips mentioned there were some riders testing it at the tour. If they have the 13 speed gravel one, who says they don;t have a road one on the ready.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    It's clearly working. The extra gears helped Caleb climb like a mountain hippo almost straight to the Lantern title!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited September 2020
    50x11 said:

50x11 said:

I'm sure Cycling tips mentioned there were some riders testing it at the tour. If they have the 13 speed gravel one, who says they don;t have a road one on the ready.
    12-speed Record and SR mechanical were released in 2018 (12-speed Chorus almost exactly a year later and then EPS a few months after that) which was eight years after 11-speed was released. I would be very surprised if Campagnolo have retooled an entire road production line to release a new 13-speed road groupset two years after their last major update.

• Update - Ekar is due to be released tomorrow. It's a 1 x system.

https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Groupsets/mechanical_groupsets_for_gravel_bicycles
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    50x11 said:

50x11 said:

Le Tour is not the place to be testing stuff.
    Which team had 1x last year? The riders were very unimpressed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

Update - Ekar is due to be released tomorrow. It's a 1 x system.

https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Groupsets/mechanical_groupsets_for_gravel_bicycles

And 13 speed. That's got to be one of the best self-owns ever seen on here.
  • pblakeney
    Having to get off and walk isn't the best selling point. 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • 50x11
    pblakeney said:

50x11 said:

50x11 said:

Aqua blue? I'm not talking about a 1x though, I'm talking about a 13 speed cassette, loads of riders try stuff in GT's it's the perfect place to, 21 hard days of testing. I'd be surprised if they weren't going to get the jump on others with 13 speed if they could. Testing will take a long time.
  • pblakeney
    50x11 said:

pblakeney said:

50x11 said:

50x11 said:

Aqua blue? I'm not talking about a 1x though, I'm talking about a 13 speed cassette, loads of riders try stuff in GT's it's the perfect place to, 21 hard days of testing. I'd be surprised if they weren't going to get the jump on others with 13 speed if they could. Testing will take a long time.
    Apart from tighter ratios (and marketing sales) what benefit is there?
    I'd take a proven set up and easy neutral support first.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • massive fail showing someone carrying a bike up hills when you're trying to showcase a low ratio gravel groupo