Decent trail bike for an 11 year old

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited September 2020 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

The ex-wife reminded me yesterday that I am supposed to be buying a new steed for my son who turns 11 next month, and I'm honestly a little confused by some advice that I've been given.

I bought my 8 year old daughter a Cube Acid 240 earlier in the year, and he's used that a few times, because he only has a BMX at the moment, and although it fits him perfectly right now, I reckon he would outgrow it within a few months, so I asked a couple of LBS for some advice, and they both said he needs to be on a 26" bike.

I'm in the middle of hunting out a new fs enduro for myself, and I really want to get him doing more trails over the next couple of years since he seems to have a good taste for it.

I don't really want to spend over £500 on it since it'll probably be a "stepping stone" bike, but I wondered if anyone has any recommendations.

He's around 35kg and 135cm.

Cheers

K

Comments

• Portland_bill i too am looking for a bike for my 10 year old son for xmas

my son is quite small for his age but after trying him on a few bikes i now know i need a 13" frame (class as a junior frame) but on 26" wheels

so this is what i would advise you to look at... this is my list

Voodoo Nzumbi Junior Mountain Bike - 26" Wheel £449
    Orbea MX 40 Mountain Bike 202 £549
    Orbea MX 50 Mountain Bike 2021 £449
    GT Avalanche Sport 29" bike 2021 £549
    GT Aggressor Expert 29" bike 2021 £429
    Cube Aim Pro 27.5 bike 2021 £449
    Cube Aim Race 27.5 bike 2021 £499

that is my short list but i dont know what has the best spec for the money
  • Legend! Thank you!
  • Frog 72. 26" wheels, 100mm air shock, good quality.

My son is now 1m52 and 45kg, has been riding his for a year and probably has another year or two of growth in it.

I have pretty substantially upgraded his but he is now doing some pretty rough stuff on it.