Thule 9503

Hi guys. I’m new to this and not sure if this is the right place to post.
Anyway, I brought a 2nd hand Thule 9503 bike rack and have tried fitting it to my tow bar but once fitted it tends to ‘swing’ from side to side. I’ve done the bolt up tightly and I’ve taken it to Halfords but they was a baffled as I am. Any suggestions would be great. TIA

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Make sure you take the weight off the rack (i.e. hold it up) as you tighten the clamp on the towball.
    Did you get the spanner with the rack for tightening the clamp bolt?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I’ll give that a try thanks. I didn’t get the proper spanner but I’ve got a spanner to tighten it. I’m going out to try it now. Thank you
  • JBA said:

Make sure you take the weight off the rack (i.e. hold it up) as you tighten the clamp on the towball.
    Did you get the spanner with the rack for tightening the clamp bolt?

I’ve tried that but Unfortunately it didn’t work
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Check inside the locking mechanism that the curved plate inside is still in place and connected to the locking bolt. Sorry that all I can think of. I own this model of bike rack and mine locks rock solid .
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • exlaser said:

Check inside the locking mechanism that the curved plate inside is still in place and connected to the locking bolt. Sorry that all I can think of. I own this model of bike rack and mine locks rock solid .

I’ll have a look tomorrow. Thanks for the repky
  • exlaser said:

It all looks ok to me. The bolt is tightening the plate which is attached to the large spring.

I’ve attached some photos. Would you be able to confirm it looks like the inside of your rack please. Many thanks

• exlaser
    Looks the same as mine. The only other thing I can suggest is to pull the rack towards you when you put it on the tow bar to make sure the ball is in the back of the cup. It is possible to bolt it on incorrectly .
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Make sure you clean any grease off the tow ball and the inside of the rack mount. Thule specify cleaning the tow ball with petrol/solvent to remove any grease in the rack instruction booklet.
    Unlike towing a caravan or trailer you don't want the mount to be able to rotate on the ball so it needs to be lubricant-free.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • exlaser
    Worth a try. I never grease my tow bar so that could be why it doesn’t move .
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • JBA said:

Make sure you clean any grease off the tow ball and the inside of the rack mount. Thule specify cleaning the tow ball with petrol/solvent to remove any grease in the rack instruction booklet.
    Unlike towing a caravan or trailer you don't want the mount to be able to rotate on the ball so it needs to be lubricant-free.

Thanks very much. I’ve managed to sort it now 👍🏻
  • JBA said:

Thanks very much. I’ve managed to sort it now 👍🏻

• I have learned something there. Whilst I know that the clamping mechanism grips the ball and relies on friction to hold it there, I still have a light smear of grease on the ball . There was grease on the ball when I bought it and it clamped just fine. I see it as a rust preventative, so I maintain it. I also ensure that there is grease on the clamping mechanism.

Having read this I will remove the grease from the ball and from the surfaces that clamp hold of it (but not the mechanism behind them).