Is sweat the reason I’m cold?

Hi this is an odd one, but I’m noticing that when my base layer is dripping wet after a ride I have been damn cold on the ride.
So here’s my dilemma. It’s coming into Autumn and I’m fed up of getting cold on the bike when my heart rate drops below 140bpm.
Up to know I have been putting windproof layers (Sportful fiandre light jacket) over a short sleeve merino jersey and a Short sleeve base layer.
When I get back the jersey is soaking wet.
Is this due to the sweat causing the chill and should I ditch the windproof layer for something more breathable to get rid of the moisture build up?

Comments

• Merino does have a habit of staying wet once wet, which will make you cold if you slow down.

Does your windproof have a breathable back?
  • The evaporating sweat is what causes the chill on your skin and this chill can transfer to your internal organs. To counter this I have a ‘wicking’ layer next to my skin (torso), I use a Ron Hill cycling shirt (which I bought for fell walking actually), nothing else I own comes close to keeping my skin dry like this does. I sometimes wear a windproof jacket on top but use the zips to regulate the air flow to my body so that the layer next to my skin (the Ron Hill cycling shirt in my case) doesn't stay wet, tricky sometimes. But it's often the only way I can stay warm even on quite a warm day.
    I’ll just say I’m no expert on this subject, I know what works for me.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    What base layer you are using? Your base layer should be transporting perspiration away from your skin to the second layer cycling jersey, to evaporate away. If your windproof layer is not breathable, e.g. Gortex or similar, your perspiration can be trapped in.
  • Thanks for the replies. Im using asos spring summer base layer under a rapha merino brevet jersey. On top of this I had a sportful fiandre light jacket which according to sportful is breathable.
    I am wondering if it’s the merino hanging on to the sweat is the issue?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I have never used a merino cycling jersey so could not say whether that is the problem. I would try a different type of material for the secound layer jersey.
  • Is this riding in the UK? At the moment? I was out in a long sleeved jersey this evening and I was bordering on being too warm at times. I’m not surprised you’re ending up soaked in sweat wearing that lot!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Really not keen on Merino for cycling. Try a sporty lycra top. I've been wearing those for years with a base and no problems.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Counter balance. I've been using merino jersey for years and never experienced this.
    I blame either too many layers, or the jacket. Try a lycra top, I predict the same results.
    YMMV, and FWIW manufacturers claims about breathability are often well wide of the mark.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

... manufacturers claims about breathability are often well wide of the mark.

^This is very true
  • Munsford0 said:

Is this riding in the UK? At the moment? I was out in a long sleeved jersey this evening and I was bordering on being too warm at times. I’m not surprised you’re ending up soaked in sweat wearing that lot!

I'd agree. 13° in SW Scotland today and I'm out with a mesh base layer and short sleeves. People regularly seem to wear far too much and overheat or feel cold due to sweat cooling on them.
  • I think this is where I’m going wrong and mistaking the cooling of sweat with being cold.
    I agree the wind jacket was probably the issue but I have found that Whenever I wear my merino jersey I’m always soaking wet when compared to man made fabrics.
    May be an excuse to buy a new jersey.😀
  • I've spend a small fortune on merino base layers over the years and am yet to find weather in the UK that is actually cold enough to wear them. Like you, I just sweat and get dehydrated with merino. It feels lovely but it's a bit too cosy!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Munsford0 said:

Is this riding in the UK? At the moment? I was out in a long sleeved jersey this evening and I was bordering on being too warm at times. I’m not surprised you’re ending up soaked in sweat wearing that lot!

That is just what I thought. I am a really old grandad who does feel the cold these days. This time of year I usually wear a thin long sleeve base layer that will go in my back pocket if I get too hot and short sleeve summer jersey. If you dont feel a bit chilly when you set off ,you have got too much on.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I ordered one of the Sportful jackets that you describe and sent it back without using it. It just looked like a sweat bag. I would seriously consider stopping wearing that before the jersey.
    I use merino base layers in the winter, they keep you warm and you can sweat, but the sweat normally stays warm. A problem can occur if you stop for too long and cool down.
    I don’t know where you are cycling, but the three layers would be way too much for me in SE UK recently.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • pblakeney
    Here's a radical thought.
    Wear the jacket till you are warmed up, then take it off.
    If you get cold, stop and put it back on. I am assuming that you are not racing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Here's a radical thought.
    Wear the jacket till you are warmed up, then take it off.
    If you get cold, stop and put it back on. I am assuming that you are not racing.

Don't you come on here with your sensible suggestions!

That's what I generally do; layers, arm warmers, gilet etc I've taken to riding with a small Carradice saddlebag so I can stash the multiple wardrobe items. Some rides I seem to spend more time at the side of the road changing kit than actually riding...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Munsford0 said:

... Some rides I seem to spend more time at the side of the road changing kit than actually riding...

You sound like my wife!! :D

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    I'm not sure synthethic base layers work well under merino jerseys.
    However, merino base layers under a synthetic jersey seems to be ok to me - might be to do with how fast the wicking of the moisture occurs.
  • danx
    danx Posts: 27
    lesfirth said:

If you dont feel a bit chilly when you set off ,you have got too much on.

Totally agree with this. I used to overdress and always end up sweaty and getting cold on stops/slow sections.

The jacket is probably the main culprit. Doesn't matter how breathable the material is supposed to be, once the limit is overcome you might as well be wearing a plastic bag

If you really need the windproofing layer try switching to a gilet with a mesh back or a jersey with a windproof chest panel.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    maybe a gilet/armwarmers combo
  • fenix
    You should always feel a little bit cool on the way out. You'll warm up and the day warms up too.

I've been in base layer, thin jersey, arm warmers and shorts for just about every ride since March ?
  • Thanks for the replies. I think it’s time I started using gilet and arm warmers for greater flexibility. I always assumed it was the wind making me cold but I am now convinced it is chill due to sweat as my base layers are dripping wet.
    I tend to ride hard at zone 4/5 for an hour and then drop to zone 3 for the final hour on training rides.
    This is when I fee the cold and having read your posts this is I’m now convinced the sweat build up chilling my core and arms.
    Has anyone tried the dhb equinox jerseys as these seem to get mixed reviews?
    Are there any other jersey gilet combos you can recommend?
    I cycle in West Wales so hilly cold and wet climate. 8-12 degrees is the norm for Autumn
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    If you can get a good Castelli long sleeved jersey with a good base layer you’ll be a lot more comfortable.

Also think about a soft shell jacket if you need one, obviously won’t be waterproof, but a lot more breathable.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • fenix
    An hour of Zone 4/5 with a windproof on ? Yeah that would get me soaked. And then you're cooling down soaked to the skin.

If anything do the hour without the windproof and maybe think about putting it on for the last bit. But that'd probably overkill too.

I have a similar dhb to the equinox. It's my go to for winter. I do 4 hour rides though at a lower level of exertion. I'd think it would be too warm for your intense sessions.
  • Definitely the jacket. Same thing happened to me this morning when I decided to wear a claimed beathable lightweight jacket from Boardman, mainly becuase of the strong northerly this morning but it ended up trapping sweat and me therefore getting cold. Yesterday I wore a lighweight gilet only over a long sleeve jersey and was fine.
  • Robi55 said:

Definitely the jacket. Same thing happened to me this morning when I decided to wear a claimed beathable lightweight jacket from Boardman, mainly becuase of the strong northerly this morning but it ended up trapping sweat and me therefore getting cold. Yesterday I wore a lighweight gilet only over a long sleeve jersey and was fine.

I should have said mine is a Giordana long sleeve jersey (fantastic) with a light Pearl Izumi gilet, no base layer needed unless it's really cold.
  • fenix
    If you think how sweaty you can get in just a base layer on the turbo or whatever - nothing that says it's breathable is going to avoid you getting damp.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2020
    fenix said:

If you think how sweaty you can get in just a base layer on the turbo or whatever - nothing that says it's breathable is going to avoid you getting damp.

Moving through the air generally makes it evaporate though. No?
    Does for me anyway most days. On a really hot day the sweat can be dripping from my cap but my body is dry. Until I stop...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • fenix
    Can't ever think that I've been bone dry. Does that mean I'm not cycling fast enough to let the sweat evaporate ? Cos I can see issues if I have to ride faster...
  • pblakeney
    ...or slower. 😉
    I guess it boils down to different physiology.
    Veronese68 wrote: