Ultegra Front Mech Issues

I'm having a nightmare trying to stop my chain rubbing on the inner plate of my R8000 Ultegra front mech. No idea why but even with the low limit screw at it's most wound out position and all the cable tension off, the mech can't even be pushed far enough in to prevent chain rub. Everything else seems fine and the mech is mounted correctly. Any tips of what the cause may be please???
Not cross chaining and trim function make no difference it seems that physically the mech just won't move inwards far enough to allow any chain clearance from the inner plate.
Help???

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Have you set up the derailleur according to the Shimano instructions? You really need to follow them to the letter with the R8000 series one.

Take the derailleur off the bike and then start following the instructions from the beginning.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    How bad are we talking here, just a little rub in the lowest gear or something worse?

I you can't get the front derailleur into position without the cable attached I'd want to verify the chainline is correct.

Things to consider:
    Have you been able to install a front derailleur on the same bike without rub previously?
    Is this with a matching R8000 chainset and chainrings or something else?
    Is the derailleur braze or band on, are you running any kind of adapter?
    What bottom bracket standard and bottom bracket is on the bike?
  • Hi. I spent weeks trying to stop what I thought was chain rub on the front mech with the r8000 only to discover it was the chain making the noise. This is a common issue with the ultegra r8000 groupset. In the end just had to learn to live with the noisier drivetrain.
    If you’re happy the chain isn’t rubbing by visual inspection it may simply be this.
  • wongataa said:

Have you set up the derailleur according to the Shimano instructions? You really need to follow them to the letter with the R8000 series one.

Take the derailleur off the bike and then start following the instructions from the beginning.

Absolutely to the letter
  • akh said:

How bad are we talking here, just a little rub in the lowest gear or something worse?

I you can't get the front derailleur into position without the cable attached I'd want to verify the chainline is correct.

Things to consider:
    Have you been able to install a front derailleur on the same bike without rub previously?
    Is this with a matching R8000 chainset and chainrings or something else?
    Is the derailleur braze or band on, are you running any kind of adapter?
    What bottom bracket standard and bottom bracket is on the bike?

Noisy rub.
    Full Ultegra groups etc and bb
    Braze on
    I believe others with the same bike have had similar problems so I'm wondering if it's a frame issue.
    Makes no sense at all to me.
  • Hi. I spent weeks trying to stop what I thought was chain rub on the front mech with the r8000 only to discover it was the chain making the noise. This is a common issue with the ultegra r8000 groupset. In the end just had to learn to live with the noisier drivetrain.
    If you’re happy the chain isn’t rubbing by visual inspection it may simply be this.

I can see it rubbing so no doubt what it is.
  • I use a 10 speed front mech (which will be slightly wider than 11 speed) with an 11 speed chain and chainset - always works well (why shouldn't it). Also, I use 10 speed levers with 10 cassette: no issues because the inner of the chain is the same as a 10 speed. Everything is quiet.