Colnago

First TdF win for Colnago bikes... it took a while and comes just 4 months after Ernesto sold the company.
Would be interesting to look back at which historic manufacturers have yet to win the Tour... anyone?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Spoiler!

You know, just in case anyone is living in a cave in the Afghan mountains or something :D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

First TdF win for Colnago bikes... it took a while and comes just 4 months after Ernesto sold the company.
    Would be interesting to look back at which historic manufacturers have yet to win the Tour... anyone?

Ribble
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • First TdF win for Colnago bikes... it took a while and comes just 4 months after Ernesto sold the company.

Ribble
    Yeahbbut they never even tried...

... and is Pinarello the most successful in the modern era? 5 wins with Indurain and another 6 with Team Sky/Ineos...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2020

Yeahbbut they never even tried...

... and is Pinarello the most successful in the modern era? 5 wins with Indurain and another 6 with Team Sky/Ineos...

And Delgado, Riis, Ullrich and Pereiro
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ... of course, forgot about Telekom...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    Any indurain tours won on a Reynolds ... ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Or am I getting my memory wrong
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Just tubing wasn't it? A zillion years ago it seems
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591

Thought we'd covered this yesterday.
    Merckx for starters.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.

Yes. Delgado won the Tour for Reynolds on a Pinarello
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Yes. Delgado won the Tour for Reynolds on a Pinarello
    That was it
  • Did anyone ever win the Tour on a Cannondale?
  • Trek won 7 in a row at the turn of the century.

Or, at least, I remember them doing it
  • mididoctors

Did anyone ever win the Tour on a Cannondale?

Ryder the giro maybe?
  • mididoctors

Trek won 7 in a row at the turn of the century.

Or, at least, I remember them doing it

Lol
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020

Ryder the giro maybe?

That was a Cervelo. Basso and Di Luca on the other hand did win on Cannondales.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Ryder the giro maybe?

Shleck's contador year win? Was that cervelo ?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    I nominate this for the most tedious thread ever.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

RichN95. said:

Ryder the giro maybe?

Sastre..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Riis was on a painted/"rebadged" Pegoretti (not a Pinarello) as far as I'm aware.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Ryder the giro maybe?

Specialized
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    edited September 2020
    Ben6899 said:

Riis was on a painted/"rebadged" Pegoretti (not a Pinarello) as far as I'm aware.

There was once a hidden acceptance that the top riders could ride the bike of their choice as long as it was painted correctly. Pegoretti was one of those.

Helped by steel bikes looking fairly similar with the right paint.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Paint wins...

Who was the last winner on a Look? FIgnon? Lemond? The Badger?
  • Wilier
  • pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

There was once a hidden acceptance that the top riders could ride the bike of their choice as long as it was painted correctly. Pegoretti was one of those.

Helped by steel bikes looking fairly similar with the right paint.
    I'm fairly sure I read about Zulle riding a Litespeed painted as a Peugeot once upon a time.
  • DeadCalm said:

I nominate this for the most tedious thread ever.

Mate, there's a thread on Carlton Kirby that's a gazillion pages and several centuries long.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited September 2020
    in fairness to that thread though, people just need a place to let off a Primal Scream.

You've forgotten how bad he is!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Merckx used frames built by Ernesto Colnago, when he was with the Molteni team, so I guess this year’s win wasn’t strictly speaking the first, for a Colnago.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Merckx used frames built by Ernesto Colnago, when he was with the Molteni team, so I guess this year’s win wasn’t strictly speaking the first, for a Colnago.

If only this hadn’t been mentioned 20 posts above, it might have been interesting.