Donald Trump

Comments

• dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Does everyone over there obsess over Trump like the people who post here?

You should obsess more, I would say, Dennis. Unless you live off-grid in rural Alaska, you have skin in the game.
    Well, to be honest I simply have pretty much zero interest in politics. It's really hard to work up interest in something that bores you.
    Do you vote?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited September 2020
    dennisn said:

I think the vast majority of Brits are aghast at just how dumb he reveals himself to be pretty much every single time he talks unscripted.

Politically people find it difficult to understand how he can operate effectively with such apparent limited cognitive ability.

Past that, yes people do follow his actions but only mainly because he inflames situations and makes news through often quite distasteful leanings.

I wouldn't worry about what Brits think though, there are 65 million people here and rest assured, many can't even read a newspaper and/or take little interest in world affairs.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    dennisn said:

dennisn said:

You should obsess more, I would say, Dennis. Unless you live off-grid in rural Alaska, you have skin in the game.
    Well, to be honest I simply have pretty much zero interest in politics. It's really hard to work up interest in something that bores you.
    Sums up why politics are where they are on both side of the Atlantic.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

So you are too bored to interact with something that affects virtually every area of daily life? I get being bored with politics but ultimately people need to take ownership for the decisions that affect them.
    Yes. Too bored to interact with politics. It's not a crime. I've watched presidents come and go for many years and have never noticed any real change in the big picture. To me they are all the same (vote for me and I'll set you free).
  • dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

So you are too bored to interact with something that affects virtually every area of daily life? I get being bored with politics but ultimately people need to take ownership for the decisions that affect them.
    Yes. Too bored to interact with politics. It's not a crime. I've watched presidents come and go for many years and have never noticed any real change in the big picture. To me they are all the same (vote for me and I'll set you free).
    I guess that there are about 200000 Americans who now can't disagree with you.

Surely the big picture would have been changed if the world hadn't been lucky enough for Gorbachev to have come to power and if Reagan and he hadn't got on on a personal level.

Surely the big picture has changed as a result of tensions with the middle East? Accidently conflating Bin Laden and Hussein does not seem to have helped.

How big does the picture have to be?
  • dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Surely the big picture would have been changed if the world hadn't been lucky enough for Gorbachev to have come to power and if Reagan and he hadn't got on on a personal level.

Surely the big picture has changed as a result of tensions with the middle East? Accidently conflating Bin Laden and Hussein does not seem to have helped.

Reagan not the best example as he was ridiculed for being a moronic (possibly senile) washed up Hollywood B-actor.

Carter was a dopey hick peanut farmer.

Nixon

George W. Bush - dopey son of
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Carter was the only US president who didn't wage war on anyone.

Would you say he was thick?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Reagan not the best example as he was ridiculed for being a moronic (possibly senile) washed up Hollywood B-actor.

Nixon

Reagan had early (not that early) onset, but he was charismatic and smarter than he let on. It's a close call between him and Bush Snr who has been the smartest Republican president in the last 40 years.

Whatever Carter was as a president he's shown he is a smart guy since then. Clinton also very smart, just too horny for his own good. And Obama is literally a genius.

It doesn't seem entirely coincidental to me that we have these three Democrats to compare with Reagan, Bush the dull, Bush the dumber and now an absolute lunatic.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Nixon

And yet the bar is now set so low by Trump that W gets to play respected senior statesman.
  • morstar said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Nixon

And yet the bar is now set so low by Trump that W gets to play respected senior statesman.
    I guess my point was that I could understand Dennis’s point that there have been many derided President’s but the world continues to spin on it’s axis.

Think about the UK where political buffs obsess about PMQs yet they make up a tiny % of the electorate, most of whom will either not vote or vote for the rosette they always vote for.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Nixon

I guess my point was that I could understand Dennis’s point that there have been many derided President’s but the world continues to spin on it’s axis.

Think about the UK where political buffs obsess about PMQs yet they make up a tiny % of the electorate, most of whom will either not vote or vote for the rosette they always vote for.
    When I was in my teens, I couldn’t understand the concept of a floating voter and not having a preferred political leaning.
    I learnt quickly that dogmatic allegiance to a party is the far bigger problem.
    Definitely rewards incompetence.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

pinno said:

Someone should post some clips of Trump saying some interesting, sensible, non-inflammatory things that aren't lies.

Didn't he just broker some sort of Arab-Israel peace deal or something similar?
    Ha ha ha. The US's influence in that area of the world has waned significantly due to the Trump administration coupled with lower oil procurement and therefore, other allegiances are emerging.
    You are getting sucked into the Trump PR - make something look like he is the architect.

So nothing was signed or agreed.

Thanks for clearing that up
    No, fair play, that is a small step on normalising relations with Israel.

Transactional as always - selling them weapons to protect them against Iran in return for normalising relations, but that's not really a criticism.

Of course, he has followed it up by saying that Jews in America should thank him for helping "their country", but he's always going to do something like that.
    Ah, so something good did happen, thanks for giving me an idea of what it was.

Goes to show the bias on here as Dennis ask about and that Trump could invent the cure for cancer and the extremists would do everything to he every did anything good
    I expect that announcement very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-siok1UFThw
    I've not watched the video but I'm aware there is likely to be a huge political game being played out over the C19 vaccine.

We know Trump wants to announce the distribution of the vaccine ahead of the election for political reasons.

We also know the Democrats, and those extremists on here, will not want this to happen, again for their own political gain.

First part true.

Problem is that if you lie about literally everything for political gain, then people are not inclined to trust you when you say it's safe at a politically convenient time.

Out of interest, which extremists on here do you think would not want a safe vaccine to be delivered as soon as possible because of the US election?
    Extremists being anti vaxers? Again a popular Trump supporter base.

Thus far the Democrats have followed pretty much what the CDC have been saying, or deferred to them stating they will follow the science. Where as Trump stated the head of the CDC was misinformed about a vaccine.
    If the head of the CDC is out of the loop on critical matters of state health, then that is quite disturbing.
    Conversely, if the president is misinformed about critical matters of state health, again this is quite disturbing, but pretty normal given his track record.
  • dennisn

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Bigger than that. C'mon now, empires and their leaders come and go and yet the world still turns. Maybe these politicians and world leaders aren't as important as you seem to think.
  • pblakeney
    The world will always turn.
    Main difference will come if a leader does something to directly affect you. Then it’s too late.
    Is the thinking “I’m okay so everyone is okay.”?
    Bigger picture. On a universal scale humans are pointless.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Bigger than that. C'mon now, empires and their leaders come and go and yet the world still turns. Maybe these politicians and world leaders aren't as important as you seem to think.
    i read something similar about military coups in Latin America. It reckoned they were easier than you would think because for the middle classes (who run the country) not a lot changed.

And if you think about it if we had a military coup this weekend how different would your Monday look?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

i read something similar about military coups in Latin America. It reckoned they were easier than you would think because for the middle classes (who run the country) not a lot changed.

And if you think about it if we had a military coup this weekend how different would your Monday look?
    Cake Stop might be a bit busier than usual?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Over the last few months, who is in charge of your country has determined whether you can leave your house, open your business, potentially whether your grandparents have died. Whatever your take on those decisions you have to admit they have made a change to you.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    pangolin said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Over the last few months, who is in charge of your country has determined whether you can leave your house, open your business, potentially whether your grandparents have died. Whatever your take on those decisions you have to admit they have made a change to you.
    Very true, but there's not a thing i can do (as an individual) about who is charge of the country and there never has been and it makes not a scrap of difference how interested one is in politics.

For example, my vote can only make a difference if i move house. If like me, you live in a safe seat, no amount of gesturing or complaining is going to matter.

The older I get, the better I was.

• dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

It's more that I only have one life and one career. Okay the world still revolves if Ghengis Khan or Napoleon wreaks havoc on a generation, but I'd think it would be a bit of a bummer if my generation was hit, you know? Perhaps you are Bhudist, I don't know.
  • dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

It's more that I only have one life and one career. Okay the world still revolves if Ghengis Khan or Napoleon wreaks havoc on a generation, but I'd think it would be a bit of a bummer if my generation was hit, you know? Perhaps you are Bhudist, I don't know.

Well the good news is that plenty of people appear not to be taking Dennis's attitude of letting other people keep democracy alive:

• Reassuring.
  • Reassuring.

Especially as they are wearing masks (so probably not Trump voters) :)
  • dennisn

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and their ilk have been wreaking havoc on people and the earth for untold centuries. I don't see it ending anytime soon, nor do I see politicians doing anything about it. After all why would they? They are the ones who cause it. Humans have yet to learn from their mistakes.
  • dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and their ilk have been wreaking havoc on people and the earth for untold centuries. I don't see it ending anytime soon, nor do I see politicians doing anything about it. After all why would they? They are the ones who cause it. Humans have yet to learn from their mistakes.
    Mmm. But I want to have fun. Not some bloke 30 years from now, because I'm unlucky enough to live at the time when a US president kisses Kim Yong Un's rings, thinks Putin is rather manly, but Justin Trudeau and Angela Merkel are communist. But in 30 years it will all have ironed itself out, for that other bloke, right?
  • pblakeney
    All it takes for evil to exist is good men to do nothing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Ironic that Trump calls the postal vote a 'scam' so all the postal voters go to the ballot boxes.
    Foot, in, shot, the, himself are words that spring to mind.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dennisn

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Mmm. But I want to have fun. Not some bloke 30 years from now, because I'm unlucky enough to live at the time when a US president kisses Kim Yong Un's rings, thinks Putin is rather manly, but Justin Trudeau and Angela Merkel are communist. But in 30 years it will all have ironed itself out, for that other bloke, right?
    So go for the fun, who's stopping you?
  • dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Pross said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

So go for the fun, who's stopping you?
    I'm not American. But you are about to be living in one of the worst counties on earth to be black or female. #RBG.

But you are a while bloke, right, so you don't care?
  • It's going to be interesting to see how many Republicans who backed not appointing Merrick Garland in the last year of Obama's presidency now find a reason to rush through a Trump appointment before the election...

• Maybe democracy has a little life left in it yet. Let's hope so.

In other news, the WH is saying that there's 'not enough time' to confirm a Trump nominee to the Supreme Court before the election, though I wouldn't put anything past McConnell.